PDA

View Full Version : DUmmy feels stupid for listening to DU.

djones520
10-27-2010, 04:48 AM
Towlie (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 12:15 AM
Original message
Today I voted for Kendrick Meek because DU said I should. Now I feel stupid.
Advertisements [?]According to FiveThirtyEight.com, Kendrick Meek has less than a 1% chance of winning Florida's U.S. Senate seat by beating both teabagger Marco Rubio and ex-Republican Charlie Crist. I voted for Meek anyway because that's what DU said I should do. Was it the right choice?

I would rather see Florida send Charlie Crist to the Senate than Marco Rubio, as I'm sure most sensible Florida Democrats would. I don't like Crist one bit but he is the lesser of two evils. After all, the man has let at least a tiny shred of human decency show through a couple of times. However, everyone on DU said no, vote for the Democrat no matter what, so that's what I did. Now, according to FiveThirtyEight.com, Crist and Meek together will get over 55% of the vote vs. less than 44% for Rubio, yet Rubio has more than a 90% chance of winning. In other words, the majority of voters will have effectively voted against Rubio, yet he'll be declared the winner with the help of our logically flawed voting system.

I already argued in a thread I started last week that in a campaign with more than two candidates and no runoff system in place, it's just as logical to vote against the candidate you dislike the most as to vote for your favorite candidate. It's just a question of which choice will be more effective and efficient. If all Democrats were to face reality and agree to vote against the teabagger rather than for the Democrat, we'd succeed in making the best of a bad situation. However, since DU made it clear that it wasn't going to happen that way, there was no point in even trying.

I'm not suggesting that any other Floridians here should vote for Crist. I didn't, and you shouldn't either because it's too late for that now. I'm just saying that for the next six years, whenever you see Senator Rubio on the news and hear about the damage he's doing, think about how we could have defeated him if we could only have gotten together and voted rationally.

UndertheOcean (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 12:18 AM
Response to Original message
1. So you let DU do the thinking for you ? don't know what to say.
Edited on Wed Oct-27-10 12:18 AM by UndertheOcean
I see my self voting for Kucinich / or Nader once it is legal for me to vote, so I can't crucify you , but to vote due to peer pressure does not make sense at all.

elocs (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 12:37 AM
8. You're in a no-win situation here. Had you admitted you voted for Crist,
then they would have been all over you like ugly on an ape. That's the way it is here.

RagAss (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 12:39 AM
9. I voted for Meek...you know why?
Because I'm a Goddam Democrat, that's why !

The Northerner (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 12:53 AM
13. Um, voting for the REAL progressive Dem shouldn't be considered stupid

You sure about that?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9395547

SarasotaRepub
10-27-2010, 07:03 AM
HCE SuiGeneris (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 12:59 AM
Response to Original message (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9395547#9395547)

16. Don't feel stupid for voting for a good candidate. EOM

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
:D

movie buff
10-27-2010, 10:10 AM
1. "Teabagger"? I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall Rubio giving any kind of open endorsement of the Tea Party movement (Though I'd of course be even more in favor of him than I already am if he did). What's the matter, is it too difficult to call him a "Republican"?
2. " After all, the man has let at least a tiny shred of human decency show through a couple of times." Rubio has twenty times the "Human decency" that Crist has. btw, I take it this DUmmy considers Crist's website claiming that Rubio must be "Stripped of his Hispanicness" is a sign of "Human decency"?

Dan D. Doty
10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Well Towlie, this is what happens when you listen to crazy people and let hate guide your decisions.

When you let hate rule your heart, you allow a most unworthy notion to captain your soul.