PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to defend conservatives now

Carol
10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9401724)

Oh look, how sweet. (heavy, heavy sarcasm here)

TonyMontana (231 posts) Wed Oct-27-10 09:16 PM
Original message
I'm going to defend conservatives now

While I don't expect this to make me popular, I don't care.

Do you know how many people are actually racist, militant, hateful, and sociopathic? It might be around 1%. These people, generally, cannot be reasoned with in any meaningful way.

The rest are just ignorant. They're scared. They're gullible. They're uneducated. They're poor. They're desperate. And as Obama so rightly said, they "cling" to guns and God and are easily swayed by people like O'Reilly and Beck.

They are not evil.

I think I have to repeat that.

They are not evil.

They're our neighbors, our coworkers, our family members. They're human beings who are misguided and easily manipulated by billionaires who control the media and the corporations that exploit them on a daily basis.

When I see people on DU lumping them in with one or a few people who stomp on the head of a woman for no good reason, I have to wonder what makes you any better? Do people here honestly believe that every single conservative is just like the guy who put his foot on someone's head? Do you honestly believe that every single conservative is a racist like Beck, or a homophobe like Phelps? Just because that 1% is loud does not make them a majority.

When you act like the extremists, you play right into the billionaire's hands. They WANT division. Divide and conquer is the oldest strategy in the book. The more they have everybody at each other's throats, the more money goes into their pockets.

Stop it.No, Tony, we simply have a different opinion than you do. We believe differently, but that DOESN'T mean we are uneducated, ignorant, scared or gullible. Nor are we misguided or easily manipulated or any other of your negative words.

Rather it shows how ignorant you all are about those who believe differently than you do.

Of course this thread brought out all the kooks.

uppityperson Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 09:24 PM
Response to Original message
14. maybe 1% of people are racist? Unrec for that and more....

of what you write.

"The rest are just ignorant. They're scared. They're gullible. They're uneducated. They're poor. They're desperate."

That applies to a lot of people, not just conservatives.

"Do you honestly believe that every single conservative is a racist like Beck, or a homophobe like Phelps? Just because that 1% is loud does not make them a majority."

Every single conservative is not a racist or homophobe, but it is a lot higher than 1% who are.

The Magistrate Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 09:24 PM
15. Unfortunately, Sir, To Be Prey To Fear And Gullibility Is To Be Evil In Issue

At bottom their sin is sloth, sloth of mind, and this is indeed a great evil.

TheKentuckian Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 09:25 PM
16. One percent my ass, Tony. Stop defending evil because it is part of your family and friends

HuckleB Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 09:29 PM
23. What you have to understand is that these are the people who would have...

Edited on Wed Oct-27-10 09:30 PM by HuckleB
... joined the Brown Shirts, the SS and on and on. Some of them may be, on some level, "well meaning," but they are not harmless, if we let them go too far.

You might think I'm being hyperbolic, but think about it. The Germans at that time were not so different from us. And yet...

That said, I think they're mostly offering up a last scream before the death of the Republican Party as anything but a piece of history.

MadMaddie Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-27-10 09:30 PM
24. I am going to respectfully disagree

You see that other 99% of Republicans could put a stop to the racist bullshit, the racist attack ads, etc. They willfully choose not to. They smile and they nod their heads, they watch attacks like we have just witnessed and they blame the victim.

In Fact the way I see it....and yes I am going to say it...."They are the Good Germans (Americans)", who see it happening, they hear Palin, Rush, Beck, extreme religious zeolots and they CHOOOSE not to put a stop to it. You see if they did stand up and say the behavior is not acceptable it would stop in it's tracks. Sarah Palin refuses to stop her attacks in which she started the "He's not one of us"!!

So until "The are the Good Germans (Americans)", step up to the plate and do the American thing the righteous thing they don't get a pass from me. And making excuses for their behavior or lack of behavior doesn't fly either.

When we act like extremist? When we start saying enough is enough and these bastards are not going to kick sand in our face anymore is not extremism. It's survival. That girl that got her head stomped, what if there were no video? What if she were killed? Who's are the real extremist?

MountainMan
10-27-2010, 10:25 PM
:rolleyes:

TonyMontana, I hope you aren't from Montana because showing that sort of intolerance towards your neighbor in Montana will get you ignored at least or get your ass kicked at worst by some of the nicest people in the world.

MountainMan
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Lanie, is this you?
liberalhistorian Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Oct-27-10 10:02 PM
68. Bingo. I think the OP makes some really decent points

that are more than worth discussing. You don't find common ground with someone and/or help them see your point of view and vice versa if you're both screaming past each other and preaching to the choir in endless echo chambers.

You softy.....

OMC
10-27-2010, 11:28 PM
How dumb.

Dan D. Doty
10-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Translation: the peasents are too stupid to run their own lives, so we, the Elite have to do it for them.
After all, if their betters don't run things, who will?

Sonnabend
10-28-2010, 04:31 AM
23. What you have to understand is that these are the people who would have...Edited on Wed Oct-27-10 09:30 PM by HuckleB ... joined the Brown Shirts, the SS and (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_And) on and on. Some of them may be, on some level, "well meaning," but they are not harmless, if we let them go too far.

Well if they had joined the SA, they would have been DEAD..the SS was formed AFTER the destruction of the SA and the death of Rohm, those who did survive were told either join the SS or die.

DUmmies never learn...........

djones520
10-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Well if they had joined the SA, they would have been DEAD..the SS was formed AFTER the destruction of the SA and the death of Rohm, those who did survive were told either join the SS or die.

DUmmies never learn...........

Sonna, the SS was formed in 1925. 9 Years before the Night of Long Knives. The SS was responsible for the majority of the destruction of the SA.

Ree
10-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Lanie, is this you?

You softy.....
I think that's Lisa...it's to short a post for Lanie

Sonnabend
10-28-2010, 08:54 AM
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonna)Sonna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonna), the SS was formed in 1925. 9 Years before the Night of Long Knives. The SS was responsible for the majority of the destruction of the SA.

Okay, I was relying on memory. What I DO recall is that what was left of the SA was absorbed into the SS.

Thank you for the correction.

CueSi
10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
This is the most offensive defense I've seen. Just go back to hating us, DU.

~QC

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Sorry, Sonna, that is not historically correct. The SA survived, albeit in diminished form, until April 1945.