PDA

View Full Version : Kimberly-Clark rolls out tube-free Scott toilet paper

Gingersnap
10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Kimberly-Clark rolls out tube-free Scott toilet paper
Updated 16h 51m ago

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY
The toilet paper roll is about to undergo its biggest change in 100 years: going tubeless.

On Monday, Kimberly-Clark, one of the world's biggest makers of household paper products, will begin testing Scott Naturals Tube-Free toilet paper at Walmart and Sam's Club stores throughout the Northeast. If sales take off, it may introduce the line nationally and globally and even consider adapting the technology into its paper towel brands.

No, the holes in the rolls aren't perfectly round. But they do fit over TP spindles and come with this promise: Even the last piece of toilet paper will be usable without glue stuck on it.

Suddenly, there's news in the $9 billion but stagnant toilet paper market. More important, it's got a "green" halo.

The 17 billion toilet paper tubes produced annually in the USA account for 160 million pounds of trash, according to Kimberly-Clark estimates, and could stretch more than a million miles placed end-to-end. That's from here to the moon and back twice. Most consumers toss, rather than recycle, used tubes, says Doug Daniels, brand manager at Kimberly-Clark. "We found a way to bring innovation to a category as mature as bath tissue," he says.

He won't disclose the tubeless technology used but says it's a special winding process. A similar process is used on tissue the company sells to businesses but not to consumers.

Behind the marketing push is a growing consumer demand for environmentally friendly products.

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/environment/2010-10-27-1Atube27_ST_N.htm)

djones520
10-28-2010, 11:08 AM
They have that here. It's a pain in the ass. (not literally)

Gingersnap
10-28-2010, 11:37 AM
They have that here. It's a pain in the ass. (not literally)

What's wrong with it?

noonwitch
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
One less thing for elementary school art teachers to use for class projects.

The teachers will probably boycott the egg companies if they ever change their packaging design.

djones520
10-28-2010, 11:50 AM
What's wrong with it?

The roll deforms very easily. When packed together, they get smooshed up, the inside paper tears, and it becomes near impossible to put onto the holder.

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Are they worried that using wood for that measly little tube will wipe out our forests?:confused:

marv
10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Humph! Tubeless has been around for decades. They despense like Kleenex, except they're square. These won't last long - the free market Capitalist system will determine that they ain't worth...............shit!

Nubs
10-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I wonder about the dimensional stability of the last sheets. Do they lay flat or do they roll up like the last few feet of wrapping paper? Nothing would be worse than thinking the last few shets will work and find yourself trying to wipe with somthing of the surface area of a toothpick.

The existing tubeless stuff comes out of Vietnam.

Gingersnap
10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I wonder about the dimensional stability of the last sheets. Do they lay flat or do they roll up like the last few feet of wrapping paper? Nothing would be worse than thinking the last few shets will work and find yourself trying to wipe with somthing of the surface area of a toothpick.

The existing tubeless stuff comes out of Vietnam.

Dude, you're overthinking this. :p

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Humph! Tubeless has been around for decades. They despense like Kleenex, except they're square. These won't last long - the free market Capitalist system will determine that they ain't worth...............shit!

The box uses more material than a tube!

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Without wishing to be indelicate in any way, I do find that, at home and in most hotel rooms, the very convenient juxtaposition of the lavatory-machine and the shower significantly reduces ones demand for paper products, tubed, tubeless, boxed or not.

djones520
10-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Without wishing to be indelicate in any way, I do find that, at home and in most hotel rooms, the very convenient juxtaposition of the lavatory-machine and the shower significantly reduces ones demand for paper products, tubed, tubeless, boxed or not.

You are such a Brit.

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 01:49 PM
You are such a Brit.

Kind of you to say so, but in truth the methodology was adapted from my travels in more eastern parts of the world.

It is ecologically sound, as it truly leverages all available resources without requiring any more.

All one requires is a good supply of clean, downward flowing water, some soap, and the agility and lack of excess poundage to complete the manoeuvre.

Short fingernails are an advantage, as well, obviously.

Arroyo_Doble
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM

The teachers will probably boycott the egg companies if they ever change their packaging design.

The big loss for science teachers and fun experiments was the film canister.

Articulate_Ape
10-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Dammit! I wipe my ass with that tube. WTF?

Gingersnap
10-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Kind of you to say so, but in truth the methodology was adapted from my travels in more eastern parts of the world.

It is ecologically sound, as it truly leverages all available resources without requiring any more.

All one requires is a good supply of clean, downward flowing water, some soap, and the agility and lack of excess poundage to complete the manoeuvre.

And we all thank you for your penetrating insight into this issue.

marv
10-28-2010, 03:16 PM
If you live long enough you learn that the tube, closely wrapped with shellacked wire, makes an excellent tuning coil for a crystal radio.

If you're fortunate to travel to exotic lands like Laos, and live on a hillside for a few months, you will learn that if you can use a slit trench, you can do anything. You don't even need a tube.

Decorating the neighbor's trees is only made possible by the increased mass and structural rigidity of tubed toilet paper.

Articulate_Ape
10-28-2010, 03:19 PM

We had a bidet installed when we had the upstairs remodeled. Of course I thought it was a drinking fountain for the first month and a half, but that's another story.

Nubs
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Dude, you're overthinking this. :p

It may freak you out, but manufacturing tissue/toilet paper is what I do for a living.

PoliCon
10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
It's a brilliant idea. They save money on the tubes and get to have the appearance of being green which means they get to charge MORE. What more could they ask for?

Gingersnap
10-28-2010, 04:43 PM
It may freak you out, but manufacturing tissue/toilet paper is what I do for a living.

Why didn't you post this story then? :p

Constitutionally Speaking
10-28-2010, 04:43 PM

:D

Nubs
10-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Why didn't you post this story then? :p

It's nothing really new. Also, it's kind of like a gynecologist talking about his day at the dinner table. "Guess what I saw todau, dear?" "I was at work and thought I have seen it all when..."

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
And we all thank you for your penetrating insight into this issue.

My dear lady, one of three positive responses to a post which, it has to be said, an obviously misplaced sense of decorum on my part caused some delay in posting.

I bask in the warmth of such praise.

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 05:41 PM
We had a bidet installed when we had the upstairs remodeled. Of course I thought it was a drinking fountain for the first month and a half, but that's another story.

You live in New Jersey, so that's OK.

Everyone does the same in NJ.

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 06:04 PM
This hole thread is nothing Butt a smear on big toilet paper.:mad:

PoliCon
10-28-2010, 06:09 PM
This hole thread is nothing Butt a smear on big toilet paper.:mad:

Wipe your brown eye and get over it.:D

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Get a room, you two. Please.

Jaaayslijk. There's cute and then there's ... :eek:

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Get a room, you two. Please.

Jaaayslijk. There's cute and then there's ... :eek:
She is too short!:rolleyes:

Articulate_Ape
10-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I took the liberty of creating a tutorial video on how to make the most of a toilet paper tube for personal hygiene. It's still rendering right now, but I will post it upon completion based on popular demand.

Click here (http://youtu.be/BzAs1vMymtg) to vote:

[X] YES

[ ] NO

Gingersnap
10-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks. I'm now deaf and partially blind. My nervous system shut down in self-defense. At least I'm a touch typist. :mad:

Articulate_Ape
10-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks. I'm now deaf and partially blind. My nervous system shut down in self-defense. At least I'm a touch typist. :mad:

I'm good that way. :)

hampshirebrit
10-28-2010, 08:09 PM
She is too short!:rolleyes:

I'm not even going to go there. :eek:

Some things are too unpleasant to contemplate... even for a Brit.

Rockntractor
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm not even going to go there. :eek:

Some things are too unpleasant to contemplate... even for a Brit.

Put the tea away and have ya a shot of straight malt, you'll be alright!:D