PDA

View Full Version : Obama the Thinker?

warpig
10-30-2010, 11:46 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303362404575580273655487494.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_MIDDLETopOpinion

Barack Obama is a pragmatist, James Kloppenberg tells the New York Times. No, he doesn't mean Obama is practical-minded; no one thinks that anymore. In fact, Kloppenberg, a Harvard historian, disparages the "vulgar pragmatism" of Bill Clinton while praising Obama's "philosophical pragmatism":

It is a philosophy that grew up after Darwin published his theory of evolution and the Civil War reached its bloody end. More and more people were coming to believe that chance rather than providence guided human affairs, and that dogged certainty led to violence.

Pragmatism maintains that people are constantly devising and updating ideas to navigate the world in which they live; it embraces open-minded experimentation and continuing debate. "It is a philosophy for skeptics, not true believers," Mr. Kloppenberg said.

Kloppenberg has a new book coming out, "Reading Obama: Dreams, Hopes and the American Political Tradition." According to the Times, Kloppenberg "sees Mr. Obama as a kind of philosopher president," a "true intellectual." Such philosophers are a "rare breed": the Adamses, Jefferson, Madison, Lincoln, Wilson and now Obama.

Blogger Jim Hoft has a clip of President Obama yesterday, answering a question from a radio talk-show host:

Host: Mr. President, why is no one who supported the health-care bill running on it?

Obama: Well, I think that you've seen a couple of hundred million dollars worth of negative TV ads that make it very difficult to do so. I mean, the fact of the matter is, is that, you know, there was a [sic] awful lot of misinformation about this health-care bill while we were debating it, and that has continued after we've finished debating it.

He's the World's Greatest Orator, and he's got the truth on his side, yet no one will listen because all these other people are spreading misinformation and negativity! No wonder he doesn't like the First Amendment.

SaintLouieWoman
10-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Blogger Jim Hoft has a clip of President Obama yesterday, answering a question from a radio talk-show host:

Host: Mr. President, why is no one who supported the health-care bill running on it?

Obama: Well, I think that you've seen a couple of hundred million dollars worth of negative TV ads that make it very difficult to do so. I mean, the fact of the matter is, is that, you know, there was a [sic] awful lot of misinformation about this health-care bill while we were debating it, and that has continued after we've finished debating it.

He's the World's Greatest Orator, and he's got the truth on his side, yet no one will listen because all these other people are spreading misinformation and negativity! No wonder he doesn't like the First Amendment.

You know, I don't think he's exactly the world's greatest orator, you know, an awful lot of people are just so mean spreading all that misinformation about the annointed one's agenda.

The part about his not liking the first amendment is truly frightening. I guess the press is alright as long as they talk about him sending shivers down their collective legs.

warpig
10-31-2010, 09:48 AM
The subject matter and his Mussolini poses turn me inside out.