PDA

View Full Version : DU poster speaks the truth about Cali, DUmmies attack.

djones520
11-01-2010, 09:52 PM
SomeGuynTexas (61 posts) Mon Nov-01-10 11:47 AM
Original message
California is completely insane...We give up.
We (my small company that I am part owner of) have been working on a proposal for two years to begin manufacturing of a small gidget/thingy for a government customer. We aren't talking B2 bomber style money, but respectable money (think $50K - 100K/Unit x hundreds of units). We have cash that is burning a hole in our pockets and we are ready to rock and roll.

We've solicited input from all the stakeholders and the number one state that keeps winning the poll is California. Almost everyone involved in the project is pro-California for a number of sensible reasons. Access to manufacturing. Familiarity with the technology. Access to technology centers. Access to a skilled labor pool. Etc... But none of the stakeholders has ever done business in California. This should of been a clue for us.

Last week we receive a response back from one of the finalists to our Request for Quote. It was 246% higher than any other competing quote we received. Two and a half times higher.

WTF?

At first we thought it was a typo (couldn't be, the same number was in the quote 7 or 8 times on different pages). Then we thought they made a calculation error. Nope. We called them. It was a number of issues, mainly regulatory requirements for doing business, taxes, etc...all charges and risks unique to the State of California. We gave up and informed the stakeholders.

We spoke to the company (located in Sunnyvale) and it was mind boggling the burden the state puts on small manufacturers. There was no way around it, nor was there any reasonable way to mitigate the additional costs. We had no clue it was that expensive. I should have. I did a similar contract 17 years ago in South Los Angeles and it was a money maker for all involved. It's what got my little company on solid ground.

20 years ago I would not have hesitated to open a product line anywhere in CA. The accessibility to resources in that state was unparalleled. Not so any more.

So much for my dream of being able to live in San Diego or Napa.

In short, CA is toast for us. We threw the proposal in the trash and moved on. Hello Mississippi and Alabama.

Holy Cow California, what the hell happened?

A good post. Unfortunately, it was the only post of his in the thread. I wish he had come back and defended it.

Tansy_Gold (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-01-10 11:51 AM
Response to Original message
1. I guess maybe Californians wanted to protect their environment
Edited on Mon Nov-01-10 11:52 AM by Tansy_Gold
or their workers' safety or make sure they get paid a living wage. You know, stuff like that. Maybe there isn't a whole lot of that in Mississippi or Alabama. . . . or Texas.

Of course, they don't have the skilled work force or the access to technology either, do they.

I guess you get what you pay for.

TG, NTY

PS I was gonna alert on this post for accusing the whole state of California for being insane, but I decided maybe it would spark an interesting discussion instead.

Well thanks for washing the sand out of your vagina first. :rolleyes:

opihimoimoi (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-01-10 11:52 AM
5. They shouloda got Gary Coleman....Arnie failed just as we predicted..he was/is in nbed w the GOPers

And that has what to do with businesses getting taxed into oblivion? That is YOUR platform.

county worker (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-01-10 11:53 AM
7. This looks a lot like a bull shit post to me.
Be more specific. What is your business plan? What are you making? Who are your suppliers? I have been a controller of manufacturing companies in CA for a long time. Most successful companies here know it is not the State but the business prowess that determines if you are successful.

Most businesses are fleeing that state like a girlfriend with the clap.

The Wielding Truth (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-01-10 11:55 AM
8. Their regulations got the lead out of paint in Cali which eventually helped the whole country.
I see your frustrations, but I admire their commitment to do tings the best way for the consumer.If you can break into the Cal market it may be worth the money.

Or maybe not.

MineralMan (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-01-10 11:56 AM
10. Uh-huh...whatever you say, there...
I guess that's why Apple and HP never established a presence there. Good luck to you with your enterprise, you know...maybe staying in Texas is your best bet, eh?

Unrecced for...well...unrecced.

Yeah, they established before California became a black hole. Wait... now I'm a racist. Anyways, they're so big now their gravitational mass is just taking longer to be eaten up.

ProgressiveProfessor (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-01-10 12:37 PM
Response to Reply #10
35. When was the last time Apple or HP opened an manufacturing facitlity in California?
They took the vast majority of it offshore years ago

OH SNAP!

Oh, guess I was wrong. He did make a few more posts.

SomeGuynTexas (61 posts) Mon Nov-01-10 12:03 PM
Response to Reply #13
16. It wasn't a rant and simply put....
the shit we sometimes make would make people's heads go "poof" here. We build things other folks think twice about putting pen on paper.

So, yeah, not much use dragging red herring issues into a rant on CA's unfriendly business environment.

But thanks for the advice.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9433231

SarasotaRepub
11-02-2010, 05:58 AM
LOL!!! Yeah I saw this one yesterday but I forgot to email the linky to myself at home.

This is a good one.

Dan D. Doty
11-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Go to a place that taxes and regulates you to death, or go to a place that doesn't ; Moonbats are mad that you didn't choose the former :confused::confused::confused:

Strange logic that tells you to beat a chicken everyday until it lays a golden egg, and when it dies you can't figure out why.