PDA

View Full Version : Tortured Greyhounds in Florida

SaintLouieWoman
11-02-2010, 11:01 AM
This absolutely disgusts me. I saw a little blurb in the local paper on it, but got this email from a dog discussion group. It's not something made up. I know the woman from Rescued Racers in Saint Louis who is trying to help the greyhounds in Florida. This is the last stop for greys. There have been many horrors in Florida with the greys. God, it's something to approach the cruelty of the Spaniards, where they used to regularly hang greyhounds after they raced or otherwise torture them. It's not a good endorsement for Florida's oversight of the tracks here.

Blue came from Rescued Racers. He had one home before he came into my life over 9 1/2 years ago. He was briefly (one day) owned by a judge near KC, along with another greyhound. He was returned. The group said the judge would be better owning a statue of a grey, not a living dog.

help is greatly needed for these dogs, the ones the survived anyway.� I'm so disgusted that this kind of thing still happens.

Ginger was at Ebro.� She and 9 other dogs were taken to a shelter to be put down.� After the kennel person left, the owner of the shelter called a greyhound group.� That's how Ginger made it into greyhound adoption groups.� Ginger was the SWEETEST dog we've ever owned.� No doubt these casualties were also very sweet and deserved to live out their lives on someones couch, not trapped in the kennel and�left to starve�to death.� I wish they'd put this guy in a cell and leave him without food until he starves to death.

Michele

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Subject: RR: Tortured Greyhounds in FL - Need Foster Homes to Help
To: gdoglady@yahoo.com

Hi All,
Just last week I spoke with Ann from GPA-Emerald Coast in Pensacola about bringing a group of greyhounds to us the beginning of December. �She was very happy that the Ebro track was cooperating in moving the remaining dogs on their compound to her adoption group.

This morning I received an email with disturbing information.

http://www.wjhg.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5245859&flvUri&partnerclipid

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/33_Greyhounds_Found_Dead_at_Ebro_4_Others_near_dea th_106390723.html

The initial report was 20 Greyhounds found dead. �As of this afternoon the number had jumped to 37.

I called Ann in Pensacola to see what was going on, since it appears there are major problems at the track. �She works with both tracks & has been coordinating the seasonal track closings of both. �Ebro closed about a month ago & today is the last day of racing in Pensacola. �Both tracks will reopen next year.

Here is what she told me (well my interpretation anyway)...

Last week they received 8 dogs from this trainer for adoption. �They had been told 10 dogs were coming, but only 8 were sent. �Six of the dogs were thin, but what we would describe as "track thin." �The other 2 were "very thin." �Concerned about the dogs condition she contacted the National Greyhound Assn & the state inspectors. �She suggested they take a look at the kennel the dogs came from.

Since Ebro closed, the kennels have received donated dog food to help care for the dogs waiting for adoption. �This particular trainer had received food to feed his dogs.

The state inspector arrived Friday evening & had the kennel building opened. �He took about 5 steps in & had to exit due to stench. �He called the police & track officials to come to the scene. �What they found is beyond horrifying. �Thirty seven Greyhounds were found starved to death in their kennels. �Five dogs were still alive. �Four of them are expected to recover, but will be held as evidence. �The other dog is at a vet clinic in critical condition as of this afternoon. �They are not sure if this red boy will make it.

The trainer has been arrested & charged with 37 counts of felony animal cruelty.

While I was talking to Ann she received a message from the one remaining trainer at Ebro. �This trainer has been put in charge of caring for all the remaining adoption dogs at the track. �She confirmed that several of the hounds in the offending kennel had vet tape wrapped around their neck so tight that their necks were swollen. �Why the trainer did this is unknown. �Speculation says it was another way to torture the hounds as it was so tight it made it difficult to swallow. �Remember Greyhounds don't have a lot of padding on their necks.

I asked if we knew when he quit feeding the dogs. �She said one of the dogs they got Monday had raced just before Ebro closed. �That dog was 15lb under his registered race weight. �That is a significant weight loss for 30 days.

Help is still needed in the Panhandle. �I know you all tired of hearing about foster homes needed, but there are seriously dogs in need there. �These are Greyhounds - just like the one(s) sharing your home today. �I asked Ann for some numbers. �Ebro has approximately 50 hounds still waiting for adoption groups. �Pensacola is unknown since they are still racing tonight. �We will have a better feel in a few days, but the guess is at least 100 additional dogs in need of adoption groups.

These volunteers have worked tirelessly to try to save every dog from the seasonal closings. �Sadly - they didn't achieve it this year. �We will gladly bring in more hounds if we have foster homes to care for them. �Many colors & both sexes are still available. �Remember as a foster we will provide a crate/supplies if needed. �We pay for all medical care.

The holidays are approaching. What better way to celebrate than by helping a Greyhound in need.

Please let us know if you would like to foster one of the Florida dogs. �You can email Lori, Foster Coordinator at poppywithap@aim.com or myself at gdoglady@yahoo.com.

We also welcome any & all donations to help offset the cost of the rescues we have received already & hopefully the additional hounds we are trying to save.

Our goal is to bring 10 greyhounds to St. Louis and have them safe, warm and loved for the holidays. �Please help us make this happen!

Leann Zalasky
Rescued Racers
St. Louis, MO
Let �a �greyhound �race into your heart!

bijou
11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
That's horrid. Hope these people are punished. :(

fettpett
11-02-2010, 03:56 PM
In Delavan where I grew up they built a dog track (which is now defunct). The owners of those dogs beat them and starved them. many had to be put down after their career was over. I am glad that the track went belly up and there are fewer of them around.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-02-2010, 05:37 PM
There is a special place in hell reserved for those who abuse animals.

SaintLouieWoman
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM
There is a special place in hell reserved for those who abuse animals.

There's also a special place reserved for the kennel who took the donations from volunteers to feed the dogs waiting for a home and instead used the food to feed their racers, letting the others to starve to death. :mad:

With so many tracks closing, it's really tough for volunteers to absorb all those dogs, but when you consider the alternative, I guess they just work harder.

We're supposed to go to a local greyhound gathering this Saturday. I've never met the grey rescue people here. Most of my buddies are from Kansas and Missouri.

One of my sons helps with animal rescue in St Louis and had been heading a drive to collect dog food for local rescue groups. I gave his email addy to some of the people in St Louis who will be helping with the Florida greys.

Florida is the end of the line for greyhounds. The tracks here are smaller, lower grade tracks. If the dogs wash out here, there's no where for them to go---other than maybe Mexico, which is worse than Florida.

SaintLouieWoman
11-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Here's how I used to spend a lot of money. I'm afraid to follow the link, as I'll end up spending too much. I have greyhound themed purses, jewelry, shirts, etc, all to help pay to rescue greys suffering at the hands of slime like those at the Ebro track. I'm tempted to follow the link, trying to resist.

This gives you an idea of how greyhound folk band together. The woman posting this is from the Pacific Northwest area. I met her in Kenab, Utah, at a greyhound gathering. She's a very nice and talented person.

Most of you will have heard the devastating news about happenings at
Ebro- if not, here's the most recent news link that has been sent to
me: http://chipleybugle.com/oct10/animalcruelty.html Siince then, 8
more starved dogs were dicovered at this man's house.

For the surviving dogs taken in by GPA/Emerald Coast, and for all the
remaining dogs at Ebro still needing to leave after the track's
closing a month ago, we've put up two new auctions: http://tinyurl.com/qvtqs

The handcrafted keepsake box of California Redwood, with 9 little
greyhounds traipsing across its lid, would make a nice Christmas
gift. And the turquoise bracelet by Sarda is a stunning piece of
jewelry. Please have a look.

While you're there, take note of the quality amber pendant offered for
Halfway Home Greyhound Adoption. It's going below retail value and
HHGA still needs funds enough to cover their haul to the Northwest.
You still have time, too to consider tickets in the Greyhound Affair
raffle for HHGA before it ends on 11/7- they keep adding prizes and
incentives (two of them by ourselves!!)
http://www.greyhoundaffair.com/fundraisers.html

I made a quick trip to a small trade show in San Francisco on Friday
and discovered very little other than one new artist, Steven Barnes,
now featured on our front page: http://northcoastgreyhounds.net (http://northcoastgreyhounds.net/)
His settings are unusual and well done, and his choice of stones is
excellent. Alas, these are ALL the pieces that were applicable to our
needs, but we'll see more at the February show.

I DID come home with lots more amber from Beata's new showroom which
will soon join those recently added to her page:http://northcoastgreyhounds.net/store/index.php/cat_186

Please contact your Higher Power, Whomever that may be, begging that a
tragedy like Ebro's never happens again. Sometimes it is difficult to
feel like part of the human race.

Cara and the very fortunate Northcoast Greyhounds
http://northcoastgreyhounds.net (http://northcoastgreyhounds.net/)
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE THIS EMAIL WITH ANYONE YOU LIKE.

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:18:35 -0400 (EDT)
To: marilyn < varnberg@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Help for the Ebro dogs

I have received many emails and phone calls asking, "Where can I send a donation to help the Ebro dogs?"
If you would like to mail a check, you can send it to the address below. Or if you would prefer to use Paypal, the link to their paypal account is located there.
Greyhound Pets of America / Emerald Coast
P.O. Box 64
Gonzalez, FL 32560-9998
http://www.gpaec.com/donate.html
Please continue to spread the word regarding the atrocity that took so many helpless dogs from us.
Thank you...
Marilyn and all the dogs who are lucky enough to be waiting here at Grey Haven, a place filled with love and hope.

Teddy Kennedy
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
My wife and I do rescue work. We also host a benefit for the GASPCA every year. Any bastard that abuses an animal has no place in poliite society.

SaintLouieWoman
11-06-2010, 06:49 PM
My wife and I do rescue work. We also host a benefit for the GASPCA every year. Any bastard that abuses an animal has no place in poliite society.

Agree with you 100%. The sad thing is that most of the most aggregious greyhound abuse cases occur in Florida. Some years back several hundred greys were killed and dumped in Georgia, right over the Florida line. They had come from Florida tracks. The bastards were too cheap to put them down humanely or give them to rescue groups.

I was involved with rescue groups operating in Missouri, Illinois and Kansas. The volunteers did amazing things to rescue those poor greyhounds. Maybe it's just too overwhelming here in Florida with so many dead-end, end of the line greys on the tracks here.

We went to a greyhound picnic today, my first in Florida. I'm really steamed, as I heard someone with the local rescue group comment on how many greys were put down, I believe in the last week, at the lovely Sarasota Kennel Club. :mad:

I've heard the argument that the greyhounds aren't thought about as dogs. I defy anyone to look at one of our dogs and say they aren't the best pets in the world. They all came from the track (actually they were all lucky flunk outs from the system).

Yesterday on the local news they said that 40 greys were killed at Ebro (my initial post in this thread). They found many with bags over their heads, suffocated. The others had plastic tied tightly around their necks so they couldn't eat.

Yesterday I took Blue to the vet. The poor boy has a cyst on his tail and needed a new bandage. The attendant commented that Blue was a lucky dog who was getting a whole lot of love. He said that doesn't happen to many of the greys here.

I guess they save the turtles and the dolphins here, but the hell with the greyhounds. It has me very upset.

Rockntractor
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
There is an old man around here that uses greyhounds to hunt coyotes, they must work well because he keeps the coyote population under control for a large area around here, he is very effective and the dogs always look like they are in good shape.

Teddy Kennedy
11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Agree with you 100%. The sad thing is that most of the most aggregious greyhound abuse cases occur in Florida. Some years back several hundred greys were killed and dumped in Georgia, right over the Florida line. They had come from Florida tracks. The bastards were too cheap to put them down humanely or give them to rescue groups.

I was involved with rescue groups operating in Missouri, Illinois and Kansas. The volunteers did amazing things to rescue those poor greyhounds. Maybe it's just too overwhelming here in Florida with so many dead-end, end of the line greys on the tracks here.

We went to a greyhound picnic today, my first in Florida. I'm really steamed, as I heard someone with the local rescue group comment on how many greys were put down, I believe in the last week, at the lovely Sarasota Kennel Club. :mad:

I've heard the argument that the greyhounds aren't thought about as dogs. I defy anyone to look at one of our dogs and say they aren't the best pets in the world. They all came from the track (actually they were all lucky flunk outs from the system).

Yesterday on the local news they said that 40 greys were killed at Ebro (my initial post in this thread). They found many with bags over their heads, suffocated. The others had plastic tied tightly around their necks so they couldn't eat.

Yesterday I took Blue to the vet. The poor boy has a cyst on his tail and needed a new bandage. The attendant commented that Blue was a lucky dog who was getting a whole lot of love. He said that doesn't happen to many of the greys here.

I guess they save the turtles and the dolphins here, but the hell with the greyhounds. It has me very upset.

Thanks for what you do. My wife and find it difficult to realize that we can't save everyone. But we can damn sure make a dent in the problem.

Some people have no business having pets, or children.