PDA

View Full Version : The tunnel people of Las Vegas

bijou
11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Deep beneath Vegasís glittering lights lies a sinister labyrinth inhabited by poisonous spiders and a man nicknamed The Troll who wields an iron bar.

But astonishingly, the 200 miles of flood tunnels are also home to 1,000 people who eke out a living in the stripís dark underbelly.

Some, like Steven and his girlfriend Kathryn, have furnished their home with considerable care - their 400sq ft 'bungalow' boasts a double bed, a wardrobe and even a bookshelf. ...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326187/Las-Vegas-tunnel-people-How-1-000-people-live-shimmering-strip.html#ixzz14KbT2rSn

enslaved1
11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
It's the Morlocks! (from the X-men, not the Time Machine)

A little libertarian slips in here. If they aren't damaging anything, or hurting anyone (besides themselves debatably), is there really anything wrong with this?

NJCardFan
11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
It's the Morlocks! (from the X-men, not the Time Machine)

A little libertarian slips in here. If they aren't damaging anything, or hurting anyone (besides themselves debatably), is there really anything wrong with this?

Actually, they're C.H.U.D.'s.

Gingersnap
11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I've heard about this enclave. The problem (from the city's point of view) is that the furniture and stuff can impede the flow of water (when that happens) and that people can be injured in the tunnels. I'm sure there's a liability issue of some kind.

noonwitch
11-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I think it's really sad. They're lost and forgotten people.