PDA

View Full Version : Nine-month-old baby in critical condition after two raccoons get into her cot and bit

Gingersnap
11-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Nine-month-old baby in critical condition after two raccoons get into her cot and bite her repeatedly

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 5:13 PM on 4th November 2010

http://i54.tinypic.com/afap8o.jpg
Attack: A nine-month-old girl nearly had her ears bitten off after two raccoons got into her crib and bit her repeatedly

A nine-month-old baby girl is in a critical condition in hospital today after two raccoons climbed into her crib and bit her repeatedly.

The baby suffered serious injuries to her head, ears, fingers and toes and authorities said her ears had been bitten off almost completely. Her frantic mother called 911 just after 4.30am yesterday and told emergency operators the child was bleeding heavily from the ears and head.

Investigators said the parents told deputies that the raccoons had entered the home, in Newton County, Georgia, through a hole near a window air conditioning unit.

But officers are now looking into reports that the raccoons were allowed into the home because they were being fed by the family and kept as pets.

Lieutenant Tyrone Oliver, of the Newton County Sheriff's office, told FoxNews: 'She [the mother] heard the baby whimpering... 'She sustained extensive injuries to her head area.' The little girl has been taken to the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston.

When officers arrived at the home they found two raccoons outside. One became aggressive and attacked the officers and was shot and killed by a deputy. The other was captured by animal control officers and tests found it did not have rabies.

Four other children were also in the home, but they were not harmed

I really hope those parents weren't feeding the raccoons. :mad:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326600/Nine-month-old-baby-critical-condition-raccoons-cot-bite-repeatedly.html#ixzz14Ll35moj

Odysseus
11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326600/Nine-month-old-baby-critical-condition-raccoons-cot-bite-repeatedly.html#ixzz14Ll35moj

I'm of two minds on that. On the one hand, if they were feeding them, then it explains how they got into the house, why they weren't afraid of people and basically means that if you aren't a stupid, tree-hugging idiot, you can exist within nature without dying horribly, or having awful things happen to people that you care about. OTOH, it would be horrible to know that you caused that kind of traumatic horror to your own child. So, it's basically a conflict between my self-interest, which is about knowing how to keep my family safe vs. my compassion for people who probably don't deserve it. No contest.

Gingersnap
11-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm of two minds on that. On the one hand, if they were feeding them, then it explains how they got into the house, why they weren't afraid of people and basically means that if you aren't a stupid, tree-hugging idiot, you can exist within nature without dying horribly, or having awful things happen to people that you care about. OTOH, it would be horrible to know that you caused that kind of traumatic horror to your own child. So, it's basically a conflict between my self-interest, which is about knowing how to keep my family safe vs. my compassion for people who probably don't deserve it. No contest.

We have a lot of raccoons out here. A lot. They need absolutely no help from humans to get by. These raccoons are used to seeing people and they have no particular fear of people. They will stand their ground and they will hiss and charge.

Letting a coon into your house is no different from letting a rat in your house. If you don't want your kids around rats, you don't want your kids around raccoons.

Another thing - wouldn't this have made a baby scream? I don't have kids but I've babysat enough to think that the baby would be screaming. Why didn't the parents hear? :confused:

Bubba Dawg
11-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I saw this on the local (Atlanta) news. This would be highly unusual behavior for racoons (breaking into a home through a hole in the structure.)

It could of course happen so who knows what events preceeded this attack.

If the racoons had been fed by the family and made into semi-pets then there is culpability on the parts of the parents for allowing the animals into the home.

I have heard no indication that this has, in fact, happened, but the case is very strange.

Bubba Dawg
11-04-2010, 07:17 PM
We have a lot of raccoons out here. A lot. They need absolutely no help from humans to get by. These raccoons are used to seeing people and they have no particular fear of people. They will stand their ground and they will hiss and charge.

Letting a coon into your house is no different from letting a rat in your house. If you don't want your kids around rats, you don't want your kids around raccoons.

Another thing - wouldn't this have made a baby scream? I don't have kids but I've babysat enough to think that the baby would be screaming. Why didn't the parents hear? :confused:

A few weeks ago a bear got into a house in this county. A teenage was sleeping in the room and the bear came in through an open window. The teen was startled to say the least. That was just a few miles from my house.

Gingersnap
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
A few weeks ago a bear got into a house in this county. A teenage was sleeping in the room and the bear came in through an open window. The teen was startled to say the least. That was just a few miles from my house.

We have wildlife break-ins all the time out here. Last year, a mountain lion broke into a house and ate the family dog - in the master bedroom while the people were asleep. They woke up, of course.

Bears, coons, foxes, coyotes, and porcupines are all potential home intruders here. Which is why only crazy people feed them. :eek:

SaintLouieWoman
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
We have wildlife break-ins all the time out here. Last year, a mountain lion broke into a house and ate the family dog - in the master bedroom while the people were asleep. They woke up, of course.

Bears, coons, foxes, coyotes, and porcupines are all potential home intruders here. Which is why only crazy people feed them. :eek:

The crazies in Florida feed the gators. SR's folks live next to a lake. Their neighbors let the visiting grandkids feed the gators in the little lake. Surprise, surprise, the gators had to be shot because they lost all fear of people and were stalking people and pets if they got near the lake.

People don't seem to understand that wild animals are just that----wild. I used to always get in a discussion with a girl at my office who kept saying she wanted a little monkey, or a chimpanzee. She said that thought it would be so cute to have little coats made to match her clothes. I asked her if it would be cute for the chimp to pull her arm off as it got older. It was shortly after that conversation that it got into the news about the chimp eating the face off the neighbor of a chimp owner.

I didn't have to get into that discussion with her too much after that hit the news. My point sadly was made.

Gingersnap
11-04-2010, 08:33 PM
The crazies in Florida feed the gators. SR's folks live next to a lake. Their neighbors let the visiting grandkids feed the gators in the little lake. Surprise, surprise, the gators had to be shot because they lost all fear of people and were stalking people and pets if they got near the lake.

People don't seem to understand that wild animals are just that----wild. I used to always get in a discussion with a girl at my office who kept saying she wanted a little monkey, or a chimpanzee. She said that thought it would be so cute to have little coats made to match her clothes. I asked her if it would be cute for the chimp to pull her arm off as it got older. It was shortly after that conversation that it got into the news about the chimp eating the face off the neighbor of a chimp owner.

I didn't have to get into that discussion with her too much after that hit the news. My point sadly was made.

Exactly. Wild animals are wild. You can kinda "tame" a wild animal but you can never, ever relax around one. If people want an animal experience in their lives, they should stick to the domesticated types.

MrsSmith
11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Exactly. Wild animals are wild. You can kinda "tame" a wild animal but you can never, ever relax around one. If people want an animal experience in their lives, they should stick to the domesticated types.

People don't always do so well with them, either. How many kids get chewed up by dogs every year? In fact, just today I watched a tiny Yorkie telling her person where to go and what to do. :rolleyes: Someday, common sense has to set in! People have got to remember that animals are not people, quit treating them like "companions" and get back to responsible ownership. (or hunting) :cool:

Rockntractor
11-04-2010, 11:06 PM

Woman have been domesticated for years and look how dangerous they can be!:eek:

Gingersnap
11-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Woman have been domesticated for years and look how dangerous they can be!:eek:

No kidding. Pacify us with sparkly things, home improvements, and...you know. ;)

obx
11-05-2010, 07:52 AM

What were they feeding the racoons? Babies?

noonwitch
11-05-2010, 07:55 AM

I don't have raccoons where I live now, but we had them in Kentwood. They were always cute, but trouble. They'd get on our deck and tease our dog from the other side of the doorwall. They're used to people, but they are still wild animals.

We could never use plastic garbage cans, we always had to use metal ones that had strong fasteners. They will claw through plastic if they can smell food in the garbage, so will possums and stray cats.

Our neighbor raised swans in his backyard pond, and he would shoot the raccoons if he saw them-they stole swan eggs. So did the muskrats.