PDA

View Full Version : NFL top 100

fettpett
11-04-2010, 10:38 PM
so the last of the NFL Top 100 was released tonight. All I can say is that this complete list has some issues and I don't agree with some of them

http://top100.nfl.com/

NFL Rank Fans Rank Name Position Team First Year Status Career Watch
1 1 Rice, Jerry WR 49ers 1985 18 seasons
2 9 Brown, Jim FB Browns 1957 9 seasons
3 12 Taylor, Lawrence LB Giants 1981 13 seasons
4 2 Montana, Joe QB 49ers 1979 12 seasons
5 3 Payton, Walter RB Bears 1975 13 seasons
6 14 Unitas, Johnny QB Colts 1955 seasons
7 11 White, Reggie DE Eagles 1984 seasons
8 5 Manning, Peyton QB Colts 1998 Active 11 seasons
9 - Hutson, Don WR Packers 1935 seasons
10 18 Butkus, Dick LB Bears 1965 9 seasons

Peyton Manning does NOT belong on the top 10 of all time, not ahead of Favre, Brady, Otto Graham, Elway or Marnio. He deserves top 25, but not top 10.

Paul Hourning, who played 4 positions and was the all time leading single season scorer till Tomlinson broke it in 4 more games than LT, was left off this list as were any number of great players. Not a big fan of Jerry Rice being #1 and think that Don Hutson deserved top 5 ranking.

NJCardFan
11-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I agree that Manning doesn't belong in the top ten but he does belong ahead of Favre. As for Hourning, I don't know. But an even bigger travesty is leaving Derrick Thomas off the list entirely. 126 1/2 sacks as 7 in one game, the guy was a beast. And he only played 10 seasons. And I'm sorry but Marshall Faulk does not make this list. How he did ahead of Hourning and Thomas is beyond me.

CueSi
11-05-2010, 12:25 AM
IF they were gonna rank Jim Brown that high, he should have been #1.

And no Troy Polamalu? I love Kurt Warner, but they shoulda had Troy take that spot.

~QC

NJCardFan
11-05-2010, 12:48 AM

And no Troy Polamalu? I love Kurt Warner, but they shoulda had Troy take that spot.

~QC

As good as Polamalu is, he didn't accomplish nearly what Warner has. Warner is a 2 time NFL MVP and took 2 seemingly dead franchises to the Super Bowl, winning once and losing 2, with both losses having him putting his team in a position to win. Believe me, as a lifelong Cardinal fan, you do not take that team to the Super Bowl and not be considered a miracle worker. Not to mention that he went from bagging groceries to being a Super Bowl champ. Also, I don't think Troy has played enough to be considered yet. On the flip side, OJ Simpson should have been left completely off this list.

NJCardFan
11-05-2010, 12:57 AM
For me, the top 20 players I saw play live, not on TV but saw play in person would look something like this, not in any particular order:

1) Reggie White-Eagles
2) Junior Seau-Chargers
3) Wes Hopkins-Eagles
4) Wilbert Montgomery-Eagles(I've seen a lot of Eagles games in my day)
6) Jim Hart-Cardinals
7) Eric Dickerson-Rams
8) Joe Montana-49ers
9) Jerry Rice-49ers
10) Roy Green-Cardinals/Eagles
11) Art Monk-Redskins
12) Dan Marino-Dolphins
13) Simeon Rice-Cardinals
14) OJ Anderson-Cardinals
15) Anthony Carter-Vikings
16) Harold Carmichael-Eagles
17) Ed "Too Tall" Jones-Cowboys
18) Emmitt Smith-Cowboys
19) Michael Irvin-Cowboys
20) Neil Lomax-Cardinals

PoliCon
11-05-2010, 01:19 AM
that list is bullshit. Not one steeler in the top 10?? :mad:

PoliCon
11-05-2010, 01:23 AM

~QC

This woman has sense ;)

Constitutionally Speaking
11-05-2010, 04:56 AM
Any list that does not include Barry Sanders in the top 5 is worthless.

fettpett
11-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Mike and Mike are talking about it this morning, Golic was on the panel that voted for it.

KhrushchevsShoe
11-05-2010, 06:16 AM
For me, the top 20 players I saw play live, not on TV but saw play in person would look something like this, not in any particular order:

1) Reggie White-Eagles
2) Junior Seau-Chargers
3) Wes Hopkins-Eagles
4) Wilbert Montgomery-Eagles(I've seen a lot of Eagles games in my day)
6) Jim Hart-Cardinals
7) Eric Dickerson-Rams
8) Joe Montana-49ers
9) Jerry Rice-49ers
10) Roy Green-Cardinals/Eagles
11) Art Monk-Redskins
12) Dan Marino-Dolphins
13) Simeon Rice-Cardinals
14) OJ Anderson-Cardinals
15) Anthony Carter-Vikings
16) Harold Carmichael-Eagles
17) Ed "Too Tall" Jones-Cowboys
18) Emmitt Smith-Cowboys
19) Michael Irvin-Cowboys
20) Neil Lomax-Cardinals

How can you possibly leave off Walter Payton?

edit- I saw you said "play live, not on TV". Man, you missed out then.

Rebel Yell
11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I agree that Manning doesn't belong in the top ten but he does belong ahead of Favre. As for Hourning, I don't know. But an even bigger travesty is leaving Derrick Thomas off the list entirely. 126 1/2 sacks as 7 in one game, the guy was a beast. And he only played 10 seasons. And I'm sorry but Marshall Faulk does not make this list. How he did ahead of Hourning and Thomas is beyond me.

Thomas also had 6 in another game, but sat out most of the fourth quarter.

NJCardFan
11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
How can you possibly leave off Walter Payton?

edit- I saw you said "play live, not on TV". Man, you missed out then.

The Bears are one of the few NFL teams I've never seen live. That list includes the Packers, Lions, Giants, Colts, Broncos, Chiefs, Seahawks, Jags, and Panthers. I've seen every other NFL team, some multiple times.

fettpett
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
The Bears are one of the few NFL teams I've never seen live. That list includes the Packers, Lions, Giants, Colts, Broncos, Chiefs, Seahawks, Jags, and Panthers. I've seen every other NFL team, some multiple times.

Man, you HAVE to make a trip to Green Bay, Lambeau field is the most awesome place to watch a game.

NJCardFan
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Man, you HAVE to make a trip to Green Bay, Lambeau field is the most awesome place to watch a game.

I was supposed to go to Arizona to see the Pack/Cards game week 17 but I decided not to and glad I did because the Cards mailed the game in. I've only been to 5 stadiums: Veterans Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field in Philly, the old Meadowlands in NJ, Busch Stadium in St. Louis, and Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, AZ. But I've seen a lot of football.

Lager
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Obviously a list like this is expected to elicit discussion and argument. So here goes: There's no doubt in my mind that Jerry Rice is probably the greatest WR, no argument on that. But Look at what Sweetness did, not only as a running back. He was one of the best blockers of all time out of any non lineman offensive players. He was a great receiver. He threw the ball well and passed for several touchdowns. He could also punt the ball a mile. But then when you factor in his heart and desire to win, his longevity and durability, his determination and team player attributes, -- I don't see how he rates below Rice as all around greatest. My two cents.

Rebel Yell
11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Derrick Thomas is there. Number 97.

fettpett
11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I was supposed to go to Arizona to see the Pack/Cards game week 17 but I decided not to and glad I did because the Cards mailed the game in. I've only been to 5 stadiums: Veterans Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field in Philly, the old Meadowlands in NJ, Busch Stadium in St. Louis, and Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, AZ. But I've seen a lot of football.

Nice, I still suggest going to Green Bay, 3 years and the Cards will be in Green Bay for a game

MountainMan
11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Steve Largent #80.......Top ten

NJCardFan
11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Derrick Thomas is there. Number 97.

That would be Derrick Brooks at 97 there Cholly. This being Derrick Brooks:
http://viewfrommyseats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/brooks.jpg

And this being Derrick Thomas:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:n2NQE0cySVbAFM:http://www.nflgridirongab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/derrick-thomas.jpg&t=1

Rebel Yell
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
That would be Derrick Brooks at 97 there Cholly. This being Derrick Brooks:
http://viewfrommyseats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/brooks.jpg

And this being Derrick Thomas:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:n2NQE0cySVbAFM:http://www.nflgridirongab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/derrick-thomas.jpg&t=1

Oh shit!!!! My bad. Just glanced at it. Both belong in there. Speaking of Derrick Brooks, where's Warren Sapp?