PDA

View Full Version : America's 20 Greatest Moments

KhrushchevsShoe
11-05-2010, 10:35 AM
These are the types of things I do to keep myself occupied when I have the flu.

1. Moon Landing
2. US Constitution Ratification
3. Trinity Test
4. Ford Model T Production
5. Invasion of Normandy
6. Passing of the Civil Rights Act
7. Declaration of Independence
8. Wright Bros. Maiden Flight
9. Founding of the United Nations
10. Marshall Plan
11. Passing of the National Parks Act
12. Completion of the Empire State Building
13. MLK's "I Have a Dream" Speech
14. Emancipation Proclamation
15. Battle of Yorktown
16. Completion of the Trans-Continental Railroad
17. Miracle on Ice
18. Completion of the Panama Canal
19. Fall of the Berlin Wall
20. Lewis & Clark Expedition

megimoo
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM

1. Moon Landing
3. Trinity Test
5. Invasion of Normandy
10. Marshall Plan
15. Battle of Yorktown
17. Miracle on Ice

That's nice but you missed a few .
The Impeachment Of Lose Zipper Clinton
The Just About Total Rejection of Obama's Congress
and more to come.

And it was called the League of Nations at first but has now been
corrupted into the Arab Popular Party or the lets take America down League !

America seems to make a mistake when it allows both houses of Congress and the White House to be under control of one party.Political animals need to be watched night and day to keep them in line !After a few years in office they begin to think that they 'Own the Place' !

KhrushchevsShoe
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
I tried to leave anything that be construed as partisan off.

megimoo
11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I tried to leave anything that be construed as partisan off.You a Partisan, Yeah..Right !!

Pulpfishin
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM

1. Moon Landing
3. Trinity Test
5. Invasion of Normandy
10. Marshall Plan
15. Battle of Yorktown
17. Miracle on Ice

Edit on #19 - The election of Ronald Regan that led to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.
Barny Franks "outing" as a homosexual whoremonger
Abscam sting
The death of Michael Jackson

megimoo
11-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Edit on #19 - The election of Ronald Regan that led to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.
Barny Franks "outing" as a homosexual whoremonger
Abscam sting
The death of Michael Jackson
And the return of the Iranian captives .The Iranian Mullah's had little respect for Carter but were deathly afraid of What Reagan would do after he bomber the crap out of Kadafi !

linda22003
11-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Who is this "Regan" everyone is talking about here?

megimoo
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Who is this "Regan" everyone is talking about here?I presumed that you had passed ?:D

Hawkgirl
11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
You forgot the fall of the Soviet Union.;)

marv
11-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I would agree but with these exceptions...

Scratch #9.
Scratch #11.
Scratch #17.
Include the Battle of Leyte Gulf/Samar.
Include the invention of the telephone.
Include the Space Shuttle.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-05-2010, 06:01 PM
1992 The Election of Bill Clinton
1996 The Re-Election of Bill Clinton.

Rockntractor
11-05-2010, 06:05 PM

Why?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Why?

Domestic policy wise probably the best of the last 30 years.
Reagan caved to the Democratic Congress and it led to deficits.
Clinton caved to the GOP Congress and it led to a lessening of the deficit.

Clinton + GOP Congress= Perfect team.

George Bush I didn't really have a "Plan" for the next four years, even he admitted as much. He had lacked the "vision thing." He was the opposite of Clinton: Expert on Foreign Policy (Look at how skillfully he handled the Fall of the USSR and Gulf War), but mediocre on Domestic Policy.

Also, Clinton wasn't really himself hard left (He considered himself an "Eisenhower Republican."), he just went with the political winds and was pragmatic. That puts him very much ahead of the guy we have in now, who is UTTERLY tied to his ideology and will not compromise even if he claims to want to.

Regardless of his personal failings, I think he made for an excellent President in retrospect. Could it be dissatisfaction with Obama speaking? Maybe. But I'd take Clinton over Obama and Bush II anyway.

My only complaint is that he cut military spending, but I guess in hindsight (if this was 1993 and Communism had just fallen and there were no real, serious seeming enemies left) it'd make sense to cut military spending. In retrospect, it was a mistake, but they say hindsight is 20/20.

KhrushchevsShoe
11-06-2010, 09:17 AM

That doesn't really qualify as a triumph of American spirit, ingenuity, culture or courage.

Teddy Kennedy
11-06-2010, 09:55 AM

George Bush I didn't really have a "Plan" for the next four years, even he admitted as much. He had lacked the "vision thing." He was the opposite of Clinton: Expert on Foreign Policy (Look at how skillfully he handled the Fall of the USSR and Gulf War), but mediocre on Domestic Policy.

Also, Clinton wasn't really himself hard left (He considered himself an "Eisenhower Republican."), he just went with the political winds and was pragmatic. That puts him very much ahead of the guy we have in now, who is UTTERLY tied to his ideology and will not compromise even if he claims to want to.

Regardless of his personal failings, I think he made for an excellent President in retrospect. Could it be dissatisfaction with Obama speaking? Maybe. But I'd take Clinton over Obama and Bush II anyway.

My only complaint is that he cut military spending, but I guess in hindsight (if this was 1993 and Communism had just fallen and there were no real, serious seeming enemies left) it'd make sense to cut military spending. In retrospect, it was a mistake, but they say hindsight is 20/20.

So that whole impeachment thing was just a fluke? Clinton's character was seriously flawed. He's a serial rapist and a bully. Character can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. In that regard he can be viewed as a complete and abject failure, as well as his tenure as POTUS.

fettpett
11-06-2010, 09:56 AM

wow..you really have your head up your ass. Clinton was forced to sign most of the Domestic polices because of the Republican control of Congress as they could over ride his veto. Clinton was a Liberal, but moved to the Center because he was pragmatic and could see that if he didn't he was going to get voted out in 96 (on top of Dole being a RINO which didn't appeal to the Conservative Base)

If Clinton had a Dem Congress we would have been in the same situation we are today except 15 years earlier.

Kay
11-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Clinton only got elected in the first place in 1992 because of Ross Perot.
He would have been a never-was if not for Perot splitting the votes like he did.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Why?

So that whole impeachment thing was just a fluke? Clinton's character was seriously flawed. He's a serial rapist and a bully. Character can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. In that regard he can be viewed as a complete and abject failure, as well as his tenure as POTUS.

A rapist?
I know about Monica, Jones and Flowers but there was never any rape allegations from them...

Kay
11-06-2010, 06:01 PM
CITM, Google Juanita Broaddrick.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-06-2010, 06:12 PM
CITM, Google Juanita Broaddrick.

Just did...She swore in an affividat that there was no assault during the Paula Jones case (which would've been the perfect time to come out with it), and then later recanted and said it happened. She waited over 20 years after it supposedly happened to speak about it, and the people that claimed they knew about it right after it supposedly happened all had reasons to despise Clinton. Also, she couldn't even remember the date of it happening (one would think a person would remember when they were raped) and only found out a date through a hotel record. Yet three weeks after this supposedly happened, she attended a Clinton fundraiser. If a guy had just raped you, why would you attend a fundraiser for him just weeks later?

Her story doesn't really pass up to muster IMO.

Teddy Kennedy
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=19242

Clinton is a rapist.

Kay
11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
And there was Kathleen Willy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Willey

I forget the names of all the others.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-06-2010, 09:16 PM
And there was Kathleen Willy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Willey

I forget the names of all the others.

She sounds like an attention seeking woman who, even from the Wiki page, had a history of lying or distorting history.

djones520
11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=19242

Clinton is a rapist.

Yeah... WND isn't exactly the most reliable source.

Rockntractor
11-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah... WND isn't exactly the most reliable source.
Neither is NBC, CBS, ABC, NYT, LATIMES,etc.......

KhrushchevsShoe
11-07-2010, 12:05 PM
She sounds like an attention seeking woman who, even from the Wiki page, had a history of lying or distorting history.

What the hell did you do to my thread you asshole?

BadCat
11-07-2010, 12:15 PM

We weren't interested in what you thought anyway.

Odysseus
11-07-2010, 02:11 PM

1. Moon Landing
3. Trinity Test
5. Invasion of Normandy
10. Marshall Plan
15. Battle of Yorktown
17. Miracle on Ice
I would substitute the US/Allied victory in WWII for the Founding of the UN.
I'd also say that Lindbergh's solo flight across the Atlantic is more important than the Miracle on Ice, and the passage of the National Parks Act seems kind of, well, just not up there with the Moon Landings or the Fall of the Berlin Wall.

We weren't interested in what you thought anyway.

Sure we are. It's better than trolling DU.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-07-2010, 03:20 PM

This:
http://teetee199thlibpresjfknatlhallofhonor1960-1963.webs.com/khrushchev_shoe1.jpg

Odysseus
11-07-2010, 04:26 PM
This:
http://teetee199thlibpresjfknatlhallofhonor1960-1963.webs.com/khrushchev_shoe1.jpg

LOL! I'm surprised that no one thought to do that before.

Caption for the photo: "Look at this shoe! Look at this crappy, cardboard-soled shoe! How will we bury capitalism when we make shoes that would embarass a hobo? This shoe sucks! Look at this shoe!"

KhrushchevsShoe
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
This:

HAHAHAHA OMG SO FUNNY HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT

I was just wondering why my thread caught your eye to inject your 11th grade politics into.

Odysseus
11-07-2010, 07:14 PM
HAHAHAHA OMG SO FUNNY HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT

I was just wondering why my thread caught your eye to inject your 11th grade politics into.

Don't take it out on him. You're the one with the fetish for moldy Communist footwear.

noonwitch
11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
I would substitute the US/Allied victory in WWII for the Founding of the UN.
I'd also say that Lindbergh's solo flight across the Atlantic is more important than the Miracle on Ice, and the passage of the National Parks Act seems kind of, well, just not up there with the Moon Landings or the Fall of the Berlin Wall.

I got to agree about the Allied victory in WWII. The UN couldn't have been founded without it. The D-Day invasion in and of itself deserves recognition as a great achievement separate from the overall victory.

Odysseus
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I got to agree about the Allied victory in WWII. The UN couldn't have been founded without it. The D-Day invasion in and of itself deserves recognition as a great achievement separate from the overall victory.

Agreed. I'd also put the surrender of the Japanese on the Battleship Missouri up there with it. But the founding of the UN might have been a great moment if the UN hadn't turned into a corrupt collection of representatives of kleptocratic dictatorships that spend most of their time trashing their hosts while living high in Turtle Bay. The record of the UN peacekeepers is an apalling litany of failure and degenerate behavior, and the various commissions, panels and the like seem to exist solely for the purpose of padding the expense accounts of conference attendees and vilifying democracies. Instead, it's just another example of hope and change that turned out worse than anyone could have imagined.

Speaking of great American moments (and because it will enrage Gator), I'd put Lee's surrender at Appomattox, not just because it marked the end of the war, but because of Grant's and Chamberlain's gallantry towards the defeated Confederates (Chamberlain, commanding the 54th Maine, accept Lee's surrender for Grant, and ordered his regiment to present arms when the Confederates filed past, and Grant allowed them to keep their arms and horses).

WWII is so full of great American moments that it's hard to choose among them. Just off the top of my head:

The Doolittle Raid
The defense of Bastogne
Patton's relief of Bastogne
The raising of the flag on Iwo Jima
The Battle of Midway
D-Day
MacArthur's return to the Philippines
The liberation of Paris
For that matter, the liberation of Manilla, Rome, Dachau...
MacArthur's administration of postwar Japan