PDA

View Full Version : Keith Olbermann Suspended From MSNBC Indefinitely

nightflight
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Blowback to the political donation is immediate, and shocking.

Statement from Phil Griffin, President of MSNBC:

I became aware of Keith’s political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay.

More coming, obviously.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/keith-olbermann-suspended-from-msnbc-indefinitely/

bijou
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Keith Olbermann has been suspended indefinitely without pay from MSNBC for making donations to three Democrats in violation of NBC's ethics policy.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," Phil Griffin, President of MSNBC, said in a statement. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay." ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021940-503544.html

As if DU hadn't got enough to be depressed about.

obx
11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Just came over the radio. He gave money to three dems. This is against company rules.(Yeah,right)

obx
11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry, I did not see this when I started the other thread.

bijou
11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Sorry, I did not see this when I started the other thread.

Don't worry, all 3 of us must have spotted the news at about the same time. :D

ironhorsedriver
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
What, has MSNBC seen the writing on the wall? Are they trying to change their stripes?

obx
11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey Shoe, here is #21 for your list.

djones520
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Well... my day just brightened up a little bit.

Apocalypse
11-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I know the excuse they gave, but come on. Your telling me that Mathews, Meadows and so forth are not doing the same? That this is the first time he has done it? Please...

His ratings are horrid, they are now under new management, and they need a sorta scape goat for the Elections night mess without saying there was one as that would take out Mathews too.

Their whole line of;

NBC has a rule against employees contributing to political campaigns, and a wide range of news organizations prohibit political contributions – considering it a breach of journalistic independence to contribute to the candidates they cover.

First Olbermann is not a Journalist, he's the same as O'reily or Hannity. Second, NBC independent of any political slant? Please...

Rockntractor
11-05-2010, 01:34 PM
A tingle just went up my leg!

Articulate_Ape
11-05-2010, 01:37 PM
This news made my day. :)

Gingersnap
11-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow. I thought for sure that horse sex was somehow involved. I sort of thought that MSNBC probably required employee donations to Dems. Who knew? :confused:

djones520
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
That is totally just the cover. MSNBC was looking for a way to shed dead weight, and this was convenient.

Apocalypse
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Well I hear there is an opening at NPR for him, so he will likely go there.

megimoo
11-05-2010, 02:04 PM
A tingle just went up my leg!You wet your pants, again ?

Rockntractor
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
You wet your pants, again ?

I have protection.:D

NJCardFan
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
He really knows how to back winners, doesn't he?

Jack Conway loses by 12 points.
Grijalva squeeks in by 5 points in an area that's Hispanic heavy.
And Giffords is also in a very Democratic heavy district and she won by 2 points.

Funny he gives money to candidates in Arizona and Kentucky yet he lives in NY.

swirling_vortex
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Heh, I'll admit I didn't believe it and had to make sure this wasn't another article from the Onion. All I can say is good for MSNBC!

namvet
11-05-2010, 02:46 PM
for Contributing to Democratic Campaigns

MSNBC announced Friday that it has suspended prime-time host Keith Olbermann indefinitely and without pay for making political contributions to the campaigns of three Democratic candidates.

In a statement provided to FoxNews.com, Phil Griffin, president of the network, said he “became aware of Keith’s political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay.”

Olbermann, who is the host of “Countdown,” is the network’s highest rated personality.

According to a report from Politico.com, the contributions were made this fall, including one that came just hours after he appeared on Olbermann’s program.

This is a developing story. Please click refresh for updates.

source (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/05/msnbc-suspends-keith-olbermann-indefinitely-contributing-democratic-campaigns/)

so who takes king rats place????

Zathras
11-05-2010, 04:01 PM

source (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/05/msnbc-suspends-keith-olbermann-indefinitely-contributing-democratic-campaigns/)

Does it matter really? Whoever replaces Slobberman will fail just as badly as he did.

fettpett
11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
finally that hack is off the air for now. I LOATHED him being on NBC's NFL team last year and purposely didn't watch the pregame show because of him and cheered when he was booted off.

NBC as seen the light and finally got rid of this blowhard

Hawkgirl
11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
That is totally just the cover. MSNBC was looking for a way to shed dead weight, and this was convenient.

Yup, I agree, they needed an excuse.

All I can say is.... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

bYE Keif!

Hawkgirl
11-05-2010, 04:45 PM
So who will be his temporary (maybe permanent) sit in?

SarasotaRepub
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
My God, the DUmp is crawling with KO threads.

Another successful Black Op by Lord Rove!!!! :p:D

Apocalypse
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Randy Rhodes, or maybe Janeane Garofalo.

warpig
11-05-2010, 06:53 PM
There is obviously more to it than just this. His ratings aren't that great so maybe they saw a chance to make a change.

All I can say is ..BBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAA

Bubba Dawg
11-05-2010, 07:02 PM
A tingle just went up my leg!

Is Poli humping your leg again? :eek:

Bailey
11-05-2010, 07:19 PM

He is short enough for you not to notice. :D

Rockntractor
11-05-2010, 07:20 PM
He is short enough for you not to notice. :D

Dang, I thought it was a squirrel!:eek:

Bubba Dawg
11-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Dang, I thought it was a squirrel!:eek:

Just let him finish or he'll squeel like a banshee.

Teddy Kennedy
11-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Ya beat me to it.

AmPat
11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
MessNBC just doubled their on-air personality's collective IQs.

malloc
11-06-2010, 07:32 AM
He really knows how to back winners, doesn't he?

Jack Conway loses by 12 points.
Grijalva squeeks in by 5 points in an area that's Hispanic heavy.
And Giffords is also in a very Democratic heavy district and she won by 2 points.

Funny he gives money to candidates in Arizona and Kentucky yet he lives in NY.

I'm very bitter about the bolded part. I effing hate Grijalva on a personal level. We had some correspondence back when that New York idiot, McCarthy, who doesn't know what barrel shroud does was trying to ban them. Seriously, I hate this sweaty[1], reconquistador, toad with a passion.

[1] Thanks to Articulate Ape for adding the "sweaty" part to my description of my least favorite congressman. I'll be really surprised if this asshat keeps his seat after redistricting.

Nubs
11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Last night Maddow spent about 10 minutes justifying KO's donations. Her justification was that Fox News employees give to the Repubs. So basically KO was justified because they fo it too.

However, when Juan Williams was canned by NPR, she spent 25 minutes justifyin his termination becasue "he broke company policy" and that it was ok because he was holding down 2 jobs, NPR and Fox. Funny how she failed to mention KO was in direct violation of company policy and thus the reason for his suspension.

NJCardFan
11-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Last night Maddow spent about 10 minutes justifying KO's donations. Her justification was that Fox News employees give to the Repubs. So basically KO was justified because they fo it too.

However, when Juan Williams was canned by NPR, she spent 25 minutes justifyin his termination becasue "he broke company policy" and that it was ok because he was holding down 2 jobs, NPR and Fox. Funny how she failed to mention KO was in direct violation of company policy and thus the reason for his suspension.

Do I really need to explain it to you?

JB
11-06-2010, 07:05 PM
http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/simpsons-haha.jpg

Tecate
11-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Isn't Comcast taking over NBC? This probably doesn't have jack squat to do with Olbermann donating money (as if anyone would be the least bit surprised by his choices) or company policies. Every time the political landscape changes, these news outlets always fire and/or re-shuffle people around - Sanchez, Williams, Olbermann, and probably more to come...

Just like Glenn Beck going over to Fox News from CNN so he could suddenly become "Alex Jones" after Obama was elected. Same deal, which is why I don't trust any of these people and never will.

Rockntractor
11-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Isn't Comcast taking over NBC? This probably doesn't have jack squat to do with Olbermann donating money (as if anyone would be the least bit surprised by his choices) or company policies. Every time the political landscape changes, these news outlets always fire and/or re-shuffle people around - Sanchez, Williams, Olbermann, and probably more to come...

Just like Glenn Beck going over to Fox News from CNN so he could suddenly become "Alex Jones" after Obama was elected. Same deal, which is why I don't trust any of these people and never will.

There is ebil behind every rock!:eek:

Odysseus
11-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm at FT Lewis for an exercise, so I'm getting an earful of the talk radio out here (there are a couple of good local guys), and they've had some interesting speculation. One of them thinks that Olbermann has had a spat with his producer, and this is their way of reigning him in without actually calling him on it. Another dismisses that it's because of the Comcast deal, because Olbermann has the highest ratings on the network, and if they were going to dump anyone, it would be Ed Schultz, who is just as nuts as Olbermann, both on the air and off, but whose ratings are lower than the farm reports. Schultz ran what was essentially an Obama campaign rally, the One Nation event, and they haven't done anything to him, but unlike a direct campaign contribution, Schultz could maintain that his event was non-partisan (in the sense that nobody attending it would admit that they were shilling for Obama), so he will get away with it.

It's entirely possible that he really did break a rule and got slapped for it. Campaign contributions are a matter of public record, and the one thing that MSDNC cannot admit to is being biased, even though it's obvious to everyone to the right of Lenin. Oblermann's daily rants constitute a greater contribution to the Democrats than the paltry few bucks that he gave to some of the more obnoxious Democrats running, but the fact that he did it means that there is objective, publicly available proof that he is a partisan shill. Besides, this is MSDNC we're talking about. There isn't anybody there who isn't completely in the tank for Obama. While the rest of the left drinks the Kool Aid, those clowns are snorting it dry, straight out of the packets, or mainlining it, but the one thing that could prove their bias beyond a shadow of a doubt is a cash donation to one of the political parties, and that's what has their panties in a bunch. Olbermann crossed a very fine line between shilling for the Dems and paying out of pocket for them, and in the absurdly hypocritical world of the media, he's being punished for blowing the narrative.

Gingersnap
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm at FT Lewis for an exercise, so I'm getting an earful of the talk radio out here (there are a couple of good local guys), and they've had some interesting speculation. One of them thinks that Olbermann has had a spat with his producer, and this is their way of reigning him in without actually calling him on it. Another dismisses that it's because of the Comcast deal, because Olbermann has the highest ratings on the network, and if they were going to dump anyone, it would be Ed Schultz, who is just as nuts as Olbermann, both on the air and off, but whose ratings are lower than the farm reports. Schultz ran what was essentially an Obama campaign rally, the One Nation event, and they haven't done anything to him, but unlike a direct campaign contribution, Schultz could maintain that his event was non-partisan (in the sense that nobody attending it would admit that they were shilling for Obama), so he will get away with it.

It's entirely possible that he really did break a rule and got slapped for it. Campaign contributions are a matter of public record, and the one thing that MSDNC cannot admit to is being biased, even though it's obvious to everyone to the right of Lenin. Oblermann's daily rants constitute a greater contribution to the Democrats than the paltry few bucks that he gave to some of the more obnoxious Democrats running, but the fact that he did it means that there is objective, publicly available proof that he is a partisan shill. Besides, this is MSDNC we're talking about. There isn't anybody there who isn't completely in the tank for Obama. While the rest of the left drinks the Kool Aid, those clowns are snorting it dry, straight out of the packets, or mainlining it, but the one thing that could prove their bias beyond a shadow of a doubt is a cash donation to one of the political parties, and that's what has their panties in a bunch. Olbermann crossed a very fine line between shilling for the Dems and paying out of pocket for them, and in the absurdly hypocritical world of the media, he's being punished for blowing the narrative.

Or it could be a carefully managed publicity stunt to buck up ratings. ;)

Odysseus
11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Or it could be a carefully managed publicity stunt to buck up ratings. ;)

Maybe, but if that were the case, why nail Olbermann, who already has the highest ratings at the network? Why not use it to buck up Schultz, or find something to bolster Maddow, both of whom desperately need the boost? Beating up Olbermann to shore up his ratings makes no sense on a network where he is the only thing that keeps them above being a public access cable station. The more that I think about it, the more likely it is that they wanted to head off the news of Olbermann's contributions before everyone else used it as further proof of his bias, and in a way, it's worked. Instead of focusing on Olbermann's giving money to far left Democrats, we're talking about MSNBC's rules and motives. Admittedly, those rules are absurdly hypocritical, since every minute that Olbermann spends on camera is a gift to the DNC and ought to be billed to them as advertising, but the fact is that what he does as a commentator is considered "journalism" and what he does as a campaign contributor is considered "partisan political activity" and we're supposed to pretend that the two are separate.

Gingersnap
11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Maybe, but if that were the case, why nail Olbermann, who already has the highest ratings at the network? Why not use it to buck up Schultz, or find something to bolster Maddow, both of whom desperately need the boost? Beating up Olbermann to shore up his ratings makes no sense on a network where he is the only thing that keeps them above being a public access cable station. The more that I think about it, the more likely it is that they wanted to head off the news of Olbermann's contributions before everyone else used it as further proof of his bias, and in a way, it's worked. Instead of focusing on Olbermann's giving money to far left Democrats, we're talking about MSNBC's rules and motives. Admittedly, those rules are absurdly hypocritical, since every minute that Olbermann spends on camera is a gift to the DNC and ought to be billed to them as advertising, but the fact is that what he does as a commentator is considered "journalism" and what he does as a campaign contributor is considered "partisan political activity" and we're supposed to pretend that the two are separate.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so doing this for Maddow or any of the other MSNBC crazies just wouldn't work. Everybody already dislikes all those people. Olbermann is the only one who is ever mentioned outside of the hard-left stable. They would have to work with him - he's all they've got.

PoliCon
11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
latest news is he'll be back at MSNBC tomorrow.

AmPat
11-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Can't be because ratings plummeted.

Nubs
11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
KO should be in a exemplary state of frothiness