PDA

View Full Version : NJ Gov. Christie To Cut 1,200 Public Sector Jobs...

megimoo
11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Walking that Walk: NJ Gov. Chris Christie to cut 1,200 public sector jobs:D

Since assuming office, Chris Christie has been relentlessly hammering home the message that New Jersey’s state government, which is badly in the red, must live within its means.

But he’s also not afraid to make the tough decisions either. Whereas the previous governor, Jon Corzine, struck a deal to prevent layoffs in the public sector at a time when private sector workers were unemployed in record numbers, here comes Christie taking on the big public sector unions:
SNIP
“Whether it will grow beyond that, I don’t know,” he said at a Statehouse press conference. “That’s very much going to be dependent on what the revenue outlook looks like for the state.”
snip
How much do you think unions are going to spend to take Christie out when he runs for reelection? Sky’s the limit, I bet.

jobs-106702753.html#ixzz14RR58IAF

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/walking-the-walk-nj-gov-chris-christie-to-cut-1200-public-sector-jobs-106702753.html

NJCardFan
11-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Just to be sure, a lot of those jobs are by attrition. But IMO he can start with the Lieutenant Governor. This is a position this state did not need. Especially at $141,000 per year.

m00
11-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Just to be sure, a lot of those jobs are by attrition. But IMO he can start with the Lieutenant Governor. This is a position this state did not need. Especially at $141,000 per year.

That's probably something he needs an amendment to the state constitution to do.

NJCardFan
11-06-2010, 10:07 AM
That's probably something he needs an amendment to the state constitution to do.

Well, we never had one until this past election. They decided to create it after the McGreevey fiasco. Usually, the Senate President assumes the roll as governor. This has happened twice in my lifetime. The first was when Whitman was appointed to Bush's cabinet and the whole McGreevey thing. So, we got along without a Lt. Gov. for over 200 years.

lacarnut
11-06-2010, 10:10 AM
NJ like other states probably has thousands of appointed high paying jobs which are appointd by the Gov. The cut is a symbolic drop in the bucket unless it involves them.

When I worked for the state of LA, we had 2 layoffs involving classified employees. We were not unionized. One was laying off low paying positions like janitors, elevator operators, etc. The second was to start at the top of the classified chain and start the bumping. The latter created better results and saved more money.