PDA

View Full Version : Obama Wants to Give One Billion American Dollars to the Republic of Georgia

megimoo
08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Well known liberal attack dog Boston's Larry O'Donnell

A refugee shelter in Tbilisi, Georgia. (PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

Jack Cafferty:
Should U.S. taxpayers spend $1 billion to reconstruct Georgia?

Here’s my question to you: Should American taxpayers spend $1 billion for reconstruction in the republic of Georgia?

Barack Obama wants to give one billion American dollars to the Republic of Georgia for reconstruction efforts. The United States is already providing humanitarian assistance… as it should. This would be extra. The proposal actually came from Senator Joseph Biden, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, who is also rumored to be on Obama’s shortlist for V-P.

Biden went to Georgia last week and came back saying the Russian invasion of its neighbor is quote “one of the most significant events to occur in Europe since the end of communism.” end quote. Biden’s vowing to work with the White House to get legislation passed so that the U.S. can start spending that money as soon as Congress reconvenes.

Hey it’s not like we aren’t already spending a few bucks overseas. $700 billion a year on imported oil… 200 billion a year on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Tens of billions to rebuild Iraq’s infrastructure.

Now it’s time to start boxing up hundred dollar bills and sending them to Mr. Saakashvili who started this whole dust up with the Russian bear? Give me a break.

We’re almost ten trillion dollars in debt… with 63 trillion in unfunded liabilities for our own entitlement programs like medicare and social security… an estimated 500 billion dollar deficit for next year. Our own infrastructure is falling down around our ears… I mean come on… I’m sure the Georgians are very nice people… but we’re busted over here.

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Aren't you guys supposed to in favor of stuff like this?

Molon Labe
08-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Only if it's a Republican. :D

In all seriousness..No taxpayer money should be given to foreign nations...period.

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I dont like it either, mainly because I think this whole thing is Georgia's fault. But if it were McCain or Bush supporting this I dont think you guys would be able to love it fast enough.

biccat
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
I dont like it either, mainly because I think this whole thing is Georgia's fault. But if it were McCain or Bush supporting this I dont think you guys would be able to love it fast enough.
Yeah, this was totally Georgia's fault. Like the way they pushed all those Russian tanks into Georgia, then forced the Russians to shoot their countrymen at gunpoint, all while Russia was screaming for international intervention against Georgian warmongering.

Then as soon as the peace treaty was proposed, the Russians signed it and pulled all of their troops out of Georgia.

Seriously, are you drunk already? Did you remember to offer a bit of your 40 to your dead homies?

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
South Ossetians do not consider themselves Georgians and the Georgian military were the ones who made the first move. Kick around the hornets nest and see what happens...

biccat
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
South Ossetians do not consider themselves Georgians and the Georgian military were the ones who made the first move. Kick around the hornets nest and see what happens...
South Ossetia was still part of Georgia.

If this was only about South Ossetia, why were the Russians pouring throughout all of Georgia, attacking the oil pipeline and their ports? FYI, neither of which was in South Ossetia.

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
If this was only about South Ossetia, why were the Russians pouring throughout all of Georgia, attacking the oil pipeline and their ports? FYI, neither of which was in South Ossetia.

Aren't you guys, like, the biggest proponents of total war ever?

"DESTROY TEH ENEMY AT ALL COSTS, HUNT THEM DOWN AND GAAHHHHH"

biccat
08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Aren't you guys, like, the biggest proponents of total war ever?

"DESTROY TEH ENEMY AT ALL COSTS, HUNT THEM DOWN AND GAAHHHHH"

Um, yeah, try to answer the question.

If this was about South Ossetia, why did the Russians invade Georgia proper? Why are Russian troops still in Georgia, despite promising to pull out?

The Russians could have destroyed Georgia's military capabilities (and they did) without invading Georgia proper. So again, why are Russians in Georgia?

LogansPapa
08-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Meh. :rolleyes: Reduce the stipend we give to the Star of David by $19,230,775 a week for a year and that’ll cover the paltry billion. BFD.

Goldwater
08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Georgia played Russian Roulette.

Rebel Yell
08-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Russia was waiting on any opportunity to justify invading Georgia. You do realize that you don't just move heavy artillary across mountains overnight? They were already set up and waiting. No way this was reactionary and ready to go that quickly.

Elspeth
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Meh. :rolleyes: Reduce the stipend we give to the Star of David by $19,230,775 a week for a year and that’ll cover the paltry billion. BFD.

On a serious note, where the hell is the money supposed to come from?

LogansPapa
08-22-2008, 01:20 PM
On a serious note, where the hell is the money supposed to come from?

Same exact place the invasion of Iraq money came from: Debt to China.

Elspeth
08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Same exact place the invasion of Iraq money came from: Debt to China.

I was afraid you'd say that.:(

LogansPapa
08-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I was afraid you'd say that.:(

Well, if there’s any saving grace - my grandson Logan will only be paying the Chinese interest rate when he’s my age, for my generation’s folly and lack of backbone in standing up to our current government.

Maybe they’ll give him a break.

Teetop
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, if there’s any saving grace - my grandson Logan will only be paying the Chinese interest rate when he’s my age, for my generation’s folly and lack of backbone in standing up to our current government.

Maybe they’ll give him a break.

That meme worked wonders during the Reagan years...

:rolleyes:

LogansPapa
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
That meme worked wonders during the Reagan years...

:rolleyes:

Had no idea the Chinese held paper on us during Ronnie’s administration. Learn something new everyday.

biccat
08-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Why won't the Russophiles answer my questions?

If this is all Georgia's fault, why did the Russia invade the Georgian port cities and bomb their oil pipeline?

Why is Russia still staying in Georgia after signing a cease fire?

Why did Russia continue to prosecute the war after kicking the Georgians out of South Ossetia?

Goldwater
08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't defend Russia, I merely say Georgia gave them the opening.

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Um, yeah, try to answer the question.

If this was about South Ossetia, why did the Russians invade Georgia proper? Why are Russian troops still in Georgia, despite promising to pull out?

The Russians could have destroyed Georgia's military capabilities (and they did) without invading Georgia proper. So again, why are Russians in Georgia?

Are you really chastising the Russians for violating a nation's sovereignty? lol.

But seriously, Russian advance into Georgia proper is almost nil (Abkhazia is not part of Gerogia proper). Did you know both Abkhazia and South Ossetia have autonomous governments that are elected by their respective populations and operate under completely seperate laws than those made in Tbilisi? There has been tension here since 1992 and nobody gave a shit until they found a reason to fear-monger over it.

If Russian troops leave I wonder what's going to happen the 200,000 Abkhazians and 60,000 South Ossetians?

biccat
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Are you really chastising the Russians for violating a nation's sovereignty? lol.

Yes, I am. Because there was no threat to Russian interests in Georgia. Russia never gave Georgia a chance to comply with sanctions, and never sought counsel from other countries.

And you, along with other members here who are against the Iraq war, are defending Russian agression into a sovereign country, for less reasons than the United States gave in Iraq.

Given such a sharp turnaround, I expect you and your posse will next claim that the Russian troops are acting as professionals and not abusing the populace during their presence in Georgia. :rolleyes:

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes, I am. Because there was no threat to Russian interests in Georgia. Russia never gave Georgia a chance to comply with sanctions, and never sought counsel from other countries.

This whole thing has been brewing since 1992...

And you, along with other members here who are against the Iraq war, are defending Russian agression into a sovereign country, for less reasons than the United States gave in Iraq.
The reasons the United States went into Iraq have pretty much all been dismissed as lies. Saddam was a bad guy, thats about the only legit reason we have left now.

Given such a sharp turnaround, I expect you and your posse will next claim that the Russian troops are acting as professionals and not abusing the populace during their presence in Georgia. :rolleyes:
The day the Russian troops leave quite a few South Ossentians will drop off the face of the earth.

biccat
08-22-2008, 05:35 PM
The day the Russian troops leave quite a few South Ossentians will drop off the face of the earth.
Why are Russian troops still in the rest of Georgia (not just South Ossetia) after agreeing to withdraw?

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
You're avoiding more and more of my points....

The Russians are leaving eacekeepers, which are completely necessary becuase this has essentially escalated into a international intrastate conflict (this is not a war yet btw) and they have a vested interest in who wins. Russia doesn't want a civil war on their border.

biccat
08-22-2008, 05:53 PM
You're avoiding more and more of my points....

The Russians are leaving eacekeepers, which are completely necessary becuase this has essentially escalated into a international intrastate conflict (this is not a war yet btw) and they have a vested interest in who wins. Russia doesn't want a civil war on their border.
Um, actually I asked the question and you're refusing to answer it. Russian troops remain in Georgia, in violation of the cease fire agreement. If this war was because of Georgian agression in Ossetia, why did the Russians need to enter Georgia?

The "civil war" was caused by pro-Russian groups that fought against the Georgians. It wasn't until Georgia was winning that the Russian army was called in.

Even assuming the conflict was started by Georgia in Ossetia, the Russian reaction was clearly far in excess of what was needed to pacify the region.

Russia wants their Empire back, and they're starting with Georgia. They have already made veiled threats to Poland and other Eastern European nations.

And I'm going to avoid your point about the Iraq war because that is a tangent.

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
This isn't a war and never was. Russia isn't trying to get their empire back, thats ridiculous.

biccat
08-22-2008, 06:01 PM
This isn't a war and never was.
I must have missed the part where people were shooting at each other.

Eyelids
08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I must have missed the part where people were shooting at each other.

That's a really ignorant definition of war. I'm not even going to bother to ask where you got it...

GrumpyOldLady
08-23-2008, 07:45 PM
geeeeeeeeeeeze

Obama is going to destroy our economy.

I swear he's a plant by the communists or the islamics - heck, probably both.

God help us!!!!!!!!!!