PDA

View Full Version : Texas in worse budget crisis than California - may opt out of Medicaid.

Wei Wu Wei
11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/1024dntexbudgetmess.274b11d.html

AUSTIN Texas faces a budget crisis of truly daunting proportions, with lawmakers likely to cut sacrosanct programs such as education for the first time in memory and to lay off hundreds if not thousands of state workers and public university employees.

Texas' GOP leaders, their eyes on the Nov. 2 election, have played down the problem's size, even as the hole in the next two-year cycle has grown in recent weeks to as much as $24 billion to $25 billion. That's about 25 percent of current spending.

The bottom line: Public schools, college students and government employees, not just poor and needy Texans, might very well lose money, grants, benefits and even livelihoods during and after next year's legislative session.

"They'll have to cut," said former Rep. Talmadge Heflin, R-Houston, the House's budget chief during the last budget meltdown, in 2003. "When you look at the big numbers, I just don't think there's any way that you make it match without making some reduction in education, both higher [education] and public education," or grades K-12.

Can't work with money right, so let's takeit from the schools.

Hmm.....a huge budget crisis? Perhaps... the solution is to cut taxes??

Ongoing expenses, including property tax cuts passed four years ago, cost between $95 billion and $100 billion in state funds, now that a federal flow of stimulus cash is winding down.

Oh wait....

Wei Wu Wei
11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/politics/07ttmedicaid.html

Some Republican lawmakers — still reveling in Tuesday’s statewide election sweep — are proposing an unprecedented solution to the state’s estimated $25 billion budget shortfall: dropping out of the federal Medicaid program.

The Heritage Foundation, a conservative research organization, estimates Texas could save $60 billion from 2013 to 2019 by opting out of Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program, dropping coverage for acute care but continuing to finance long-term care services. The Texas Health and Human Services Commission, which has 3.6 million children, people with disabilities and impoverished Texans enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP, will release its own study on the effect of ending the state’s participation in the federal match program at some point between now and January.

Screw poor children, we need to fund these tax cuts, after all there'sa a lot of wealthy people in Texas.

Bailey
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Screw poor children, we need to fund these tax cuts, after all there'sa a lot of wealthy people in Texas.

Tough shit, its not the rich or middle classes job to pay for the offspring of lazy people.

asdf2231
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM

That kind of idotic goading is tiresome and as original as a bunch of guys brainstorming for 6 hours to come up with a comedy bit about someone getting nailed in the nuts with a football.

Could you maybe try plucking one of the other two strings on your retard banjo just for variety sake?

Odysseus
11-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Clearly, there are some areas where school budgets can be cut. Whatever you are teaching can't be that valuable, or they'd have someone else with a greater understanding of the subject (whatever it is) teach it, like a janitor or the girls' lacrosse coach, or maybe the village idiot.

lacarnut
11-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Why should the states have to pay a portion of this mandated liability which should be unconstitutional. Feds passed Medicaid which cost the states billions; so let them pay 100% of the tab.

Austin is a hotbed for idiot tax and spend liberals like you. Same goes for the legislature.

Wei Wu Wei
11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Why didn't those tax cuts fix the deficit?

Odysseus
11-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Because even with the expanded tax revenues, spending grew faster, partly because of increased federal mandates.

lacarnut
11-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Why don't you address my post? Lame brain.

Odysseus
11-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Why don't you address my post? Lame brain.

Because he can''t hear you over the voices in his head.

BadCat
11-09-2010, 05:35 PM

Because sponges like you live there, with about a million illegal Mexicans.

SaintLouieWoman
11-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Bingo, you hit that nail exactly on the head.

The Mexicans around here are leaving Sarasota. Maybe they're migrating to Texas. It's hurt the local economy---not enough people to buy the junk at garage sales. :D

m00
11-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Because the lion's share of taxes goes to Federal Government?

On edit: Badcat's is better.

Kay
11-09-2010, 11:00 PM
From w.w.w.'s original article in the opening post:

Even as the hired help prepares a menu of unpleasant options for leaders, though, Perry and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst campaign in full brag mode. The state's two leading Republicans boast .....

If you read on down through the whole entire article, it sounds to me like sour grapes from a reporter who was hoping to see White win the election. I believe the author is just doing a hatchet job on Perry & Co.

To claim that Texas is in worse shape than California is just silly.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-09-2010, 11:07 PM

Burn.

AmPat
11-10-2010, 12:45 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/1024dntexbudgetmess.274b11d.html
Oh wait....
You don't "take money from the schools," you just don't "give" it to them after you "take" it from the taxpayers.

Ongoing expenses, including property tax cuts passed four years ago, cost between $95 billion and $100 billion in state funds, now that a federal flow of stimulus cash is winding down. How are "property tax cuts" listed as "expenses?"

AmPat
11-10-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't know any rich children. They all seem short of wealth to me. Now if you mean children of poor people, the parents should have availed themselves of birth control. I do believe an ounce of rubber would have prevented the poor darlings that they couldn't afford. If they can't afford them now, they knew it before their hot, sweaty moment.

I got no say (or satisfaction) in their passionate coupling, why do they get to reach into my pocket?

djones520
11-10-2010, 01:10 AM
You don't "take money from the schools," you just don't "give" it to them after you "take" it from the taxpayers.
How are "property tax cuts" listed as "expenses?"

See thats the problem wiht liberal ideology. They look at what they want, and try to figure out how to pay for it (buy raising taxes). Conservatives (should) look at what they have, and figure out what they can buy with it.

PoliCon
11-10-2010, 02:14 AM
I love how the left likes to say that tax cuts COST something. :rolleyes:

Bailey
11-10-2010, 05:11 AM
I love how the left likes to say that tax cuts COST something. :rolleyes:

Like it was the governments money to start with.

AmPat
11-10-2010, 09:17 AM
See thats the problem wiht liberal ideology. They look at what they want, and try to figure out how to pay for it (buy raising taxes). Conservatives (should) look at what they have, and figure out what they can buy with it.

I know, I just want Weitard to look at this correctly instead of taking another long draw from the Kool Aid hose.

Odysseus
11-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Like it was the governments money to start with.

They think that it is, or rather, that it's their money, just waiting to be expropriated.

Bailey
11-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Typical we we, swoop and poop.

Molon Labe
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM

It sure is. You're catching on. It should be common sense that when government fails it should be reduced and eliminated.

FBIGuy
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Survival of the fittest. Aren't you libs all about Darwinism?

Odysseus
11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Survival of the fittest. Aren't you libs all about Darwinism?

Only when it comes to others.

AmPat
11-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Strange how all this money goes down the rabbit hole year after year with no progress toward the "stated goal" of reducuing poverty. The only thing that progresses is the amount of spending and the increased amounts of leaches sucking off our taxes. Let the DIMoRATS give their money for a year and then let's see how much love they have for taxes.

Libertardian Philosophy:- "Education sucks so let's throw more money at it. {* Flash to next year*) Hey, we need to increase taxes and throw even more money at education. (*Yet again the next year*) The last 60 years of spending increases hasn't worked so let's throw still more money at it."