PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard Reaches Cruise Passengers Stranded Off Mexican Coast

megimoo
11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Coast Guard Reaches Cruise Passengers Stranded Off Mexican Coast

A U.S. Coast Guard cutter has reached a crippled Carnival cruise ship, stranded off the western coast of Mexico since early Monday morning with nearly 4,500 passengers and crew on board after an engine room fire.

Two officers from the Coast Guard are now aboard the ship to help ensure the safety of the passengers until two tugboats chartered by Carnival are expected to arrive midday today to tow the ship to a Mexican port. Though Carnival did confirm that three people on the ship were treated in the ship’s infirmary for panic attacks, a spokesman for the Coast Guard said no major medical concerns had been reported. No one was injured in the fire.

The Carnival Splendor, a 113,000-ton behemoth, suffered an engine fire early Monday morning which knocked out the ship’s power, including air conditioning, hot food service, flushing toilets and telephones, Carnival said in a statement.

The fire was extinguished in about three hours. Even after the tugboats reach the ship at midday today, it could be at least 24 hours before it can be safely towed to the Mexican port of Ensenada, the cruiseline said in a statement Tuesday morning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/carnival-splendor-cruise-ship-rescue/story?id=12095096

megimoo
11-09-2010, 12:59 PM
CARNIVAL SPLENDOR SHIP FACTS Gross Tonnage: 113,300 tons

Length: 952 feet
Passenger Decks: 13
Cruising Speed: 21 knots
Guest Capacity: 3,006 (double occupancy)
Total Guest Staterooms: 1503
Total staff: 1,150
Registry: Panama
The ship entered service on 2 July 2008.

Carnival is going to to remove the ship from their line because it is not repairable.

What is the failure that is so catastrophic that the ship was sea worthy last week and and condemned this week? That must have been one hell of an engine fire. It seems as though much power generation systems was damaged. According to one report, they did have auxiliary generators but still not enough power to provide many basic services.

However, engineers were not able to restore power to the ship, which was operating on auxiliary generators, the statement said. As of Tuesday, “several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service and telephones are not available,” the cruise line said.

On Monday night, engineers were able to restore toilet service to cabins and public bathrooms, along with cold running water, Carnival said. “The ship’s crew continues to actively work to restore other services.”

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/09/cruise.ship/?hpt=Sbin

noonwitch
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not big on big planes or ships. You would think that the cruise business wouldn't forget the Titanic!

megimoo
11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm not big on big planes or ships. You would think that the cruise business wouldn't forget the Titanic!Bring back the stagecoach !

Sonnabend
11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Bring back the stagecoach !

And drown the horses? :rolleyes:

fettpett
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I have a friend that I grew up with, Her and her Mom were on that exact ship last year at this time...they had a blast last year...she's glad she wasn't on it this year LOL

megimoo
11-09-2010, 07:20 PM
And drown the horses? :rolleyes:She hasn't been 'wet' since the Titanic went down !:D

Bubba Dawg
11-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Sorry Megs. I was working on a similar thread while you were posting. Didn't see it.

megimoo
11-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry Megs. I was working on a similar thread while you were posting. Didn't see it.Not to worry, room enough for two .

malloc
11-09-2010, 07:39 PM
What is the failure that is so catastrophic that the ship was sea worthy last week and and condemned this week? That must have been one hell of an engine fire.

I think that means the cost of repairs isn't practical when compared to revenue generated by the ship over the ship's remaining lifetime, or it means the insurance company has written off the ship as a total loss and the cost of repair exceeds insured maximums.

megimoo
11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I think that means the cost of repairs isn't practical when compared to revenue generated by the ship over the ship's remaining lifetime, or it means the insurance company has written off the ship as a total loss and the cost of repair exceeds insured maximums.
She entered service on July 2, 2008, She's only two years old .It cost 475,000,000 Euros to build the Carnival Splendor,about $697,000,000 and It is 113,000 GT .For that kind of money they could replace or rebuild the engines and rewire them several times over unless there is more to the story than is being told ?

malloc
11-09-2010, 08:07 PM
She entered service on July 2, 2008, She's only two years old .It cost 475,000,000 Euros to build the Carnival Splendor,about $697,000,000 and It is 113,000 GT .For that kind of money they could replace or rebuild the engines and rewire them several times over unless there is more to the story than is being told ?

There's probably an untold side of the story. Perhaps the fire was hot enough to warp the mounts and part of frame? Again, why are they making this statement when it's obviously too early to have had adjusters and professionals out to make this determination?

Hawkgirl
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Yikes, I'm sailing Carnival in March on a Caribbean Virgin Island tour...thankfully, not this ship. The Splendour is one of their newer ships...How do they recoup the money if they remove her from their fleet?

This will be my 8th Carnival cruise. I'm not worried....:eek:

m00
11-09-2010, 10:30 PM
There's probably an untold side of the story. Perhaps the fire was hot enough to warp the mounts and part of frame? Again, why are they making this statement when it's obviously too early to have had adjusters and professionals out to make this determination?

Maybe the cruise industry is suffering due to the economy, and this is a convenient way to write off the loss of a ship they couldn't afford to commission in the first place? Dunno you make a good point.

noonwitch
11-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Carnival should donate it to the US Navy, let them play with it (use it to practice blowing up big ships or something fun like that for the Navy guys) or strip it for scrap metal. Carnival gets a tax deduction, the navy explosives guys get to have some fun, and everyone is happy.