PDA

View Full Version : Mystery missile launch

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 12:50 PM
LOS ANGELES - It was caught on camera by a KCBS helicopter covering traffic above Los Angeles Monday night. A thick plum of smoke from what appeared to be a missile streaking upward into the sunset sky and heading west over the Pacific Ocean.

But who launched the missile is a mystery. So far the FAA say they have no record of any missile launch being planned or approved and the military doesn't seem to have any answers as to what people saw.

From what can be determined on the video, the missile was about 35 miles out to sea, north of Catalina Island. Pentagon and Navy officials tell NBC News they don't know who launched the missile.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/mystery-missile-launch-caught-on-camera-off-california-coast;-no-answers-from-military

Could this be Iran, China, North Korea, Russia, or Venezuela testing our defenses?

megimoo
11-09-2010, 01:06 PM
LOS ANGELES - It was caught on camera by a KCBS helicopter covering traffic above Los Angeles Monday night. A thick plum of smoke from what appeared to be a missile streaking upward into the sunset sky and heading west over the Pacific Ocean.

But who launched the missile is a mystery. So far the FAA say they have no record of any missile launch being planned or approved and the military doesn't seem to have any answers as to what people saw.

From what can be determined on the video, the missile was about 35 miles out to sea, north of Catalina Island. Pentagon and Navy officials tell NBC News they don't know who launched the missile.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/mystery-missile-launch-caught-on-camera-off-california-coast;-no-answers-from-military

Could this be Iran, China, North Korea, Russia, or Venezuela testing our defenses?

It was launched off the California coast so it couldn't be an Iranian Bird,If it were incoming they never would see it, just a streak of light before it hit !

Sounds like a sub launched ballistic missile.The only country that can launch a ballistic missile from underwater is the USA.The Navy sometimes tests snap shot launches from the Boomers to test the crews reaction time.The warheads are disarmed and the targets are in some empty part of the ocean.

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
It was launched off the California coast so it couldn't be an Iranian Bird,If it were incoming they never would see it, just a streak of light before it hit !

Sounds like a sub launched ballistic missile.The only country that can launch a ballistic missile from underwater is the USA.The Navy sometimes tests snap shot launches from the Boomers to test the crews reaction time.The warheads are disarmed and the targets are in some empty part of the ocean.

Iran does have subs, but after doing just a little checking their subs do not have the ability to go that far. U.S. Navy says it's not them or a foreign military.

I if it's not U.S. or them, then a civilian? :confused:

megimoo
11-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Iran does have subs, but after doing just a little checking their subs do not have the ability to go that far. U.S. Navy says it's not them or a foreign military.

I if it's not U.S. or them, then a civilian? :confused:

You must have skipped subs 101 ?

In order to design a simple submarine that is capable to submerge and come back to the surface with the crew still breathing air and alive takes a whole bunch of specialized engineering, hundreds of millions of dollars and hundreds of special people capable of building it .

The so called submarines the drug smugglers had were essentially crewless underwater waterproof tanks to haul their drugs behind boats towing them hoping the Colombian Navy wouldn't detect them but that didn't work very well.

That scratches the concept of a civilian sub not to even mention the Missile launch part ! It could only be the USA.

If An Iranian sub was able to move,undetected, from Iran To The Coast Of California that would be the greatest miracle since building Noah's ark and that didn't need to submerge.The Iranian Persian or the Arab nations don't submerge very well.

It Takes years of training and the mentality of a deep water sailor to make a submariner.The Iranians had several Russian Kilo Class subs that spent most of their time in port and never went far from shore when they did go out.Kilo's don't launch Ballistic missiles and were purchased more for show than any other reason. The only country in the region that has viable submarine force is Israel and they are only capable of launching cruise missiles but not SLBM's !

P.S. The US navy Would be running around like a pregnant Nun if it wasn't one of our subs that launched that close to the American coast.Coastal penetration by any foreign subs is a big problem for the American Navy.

The Navy doesn't always tell the truth in matters of National Security or the other possibility is an accidental launch by one of our Boomers and the Navy is embarrassed .

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 02:24 PM
You must have skipped subs 101 ?

In order to design a simple submarine that is capable to submerge and come back to the surface with the crew still breathing air and alive takes a whole bunch of specialized engineering, hundreds of millions of dollars and hundreds of special people capable of building it .

The so called submarines the drug smugglers had were essentially crewless underwater waterproof tanks to haul their drugs behind boats towing them hoping the Colombian Navy wouldn't detect them but that didn't work very well.

That scratches the concept of a civilian sub not to even mention the Missile launch part ! It could only be the USA.

If An Iranian sub was able to move,undetected, from Iran To The Coast Of California that would be the greatest miracle since building Noah's ark and that didn't need to submerge.The Iranian Persian or the Arab nations don't submerge very well.

It Takes years of training and the mentality of a deep water sailor to make a submariner.The Iranians had several Russian Kilo Class subs that spent most of their time in port and never went far from shore when they did go out.Kilo's don't launch Ballistic missiles and were purchased more for show than any other reason. The only country in the region that has viable submarine force is Israel and they are only capable of launching cruise missiles but not SLBM's !

The only thing I know about subs is they go under water and you would never catch me in one. Hats off to the submariners, that's one job I would NEVER do.

I'm sure the truth or something resembling the truth will come out.

megimoo
11-09-2010, 02:36 PM
The only thing I know about subs is they go under water and you would never catch me in one. Hats off to the submariners, that's one job I would NEVER do.

I'm sure the truth or something resembling the truth will come out.

I just updated my previous pos with a P.S..

The Navy has dumped a number of Sub Skippers these past several years but boomer skippers are senior officers and well seasoned and not prone to many errors.If it was an accidental launch then some Boomer Skipper will soon retire .The Navy sort of frowns on accidents of this magnitude .

Nubs
11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I just updated my previous pos with a P.S..

The Navy has dumped a number of Sub Skippers these past several years but boomer skippers are senior officers and well seasoned and not prone to many errors.If it was an accidental launch then some Boomer Skipper will soon retire .The Navy sort of frowns on accidents of this magnitude .

Accidental launch of an SLBM??? MY ASS. My 4 yr old accidentally craps his pants, but an SLBM??? What kind of bumble fucks do we have in charge here!!! If not intentional, this is a systemic failure of the whole damn C4 system. It appears the civillian control is setting this up as a contrived systemic failure. Now Barry and friends can use this as a teachable moment to retire the SLBM for the purpose of a more peaceful world.

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Russian sub?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlp1lUWqRYI

malloc
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Could it have been an a amateur or model rocketeer. I don't know a thing about this hobby but from some Discovery channel shows. They make some very large, very high flying rockets. Some go so high and far that they need FAA clearance in order to hold a meet.

Just an idea.

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Could it be a Chinese sub?

Abstract: Since the end of the Cold War, China has dramatically expanded its navy, especially its submarine fleet, adding dozens of attack submarines since 1995. During the same period, the U.S. attack submarine fleet has shrunk to 53, and it is projected to fall to 41 in 2028. The U.S. fleet is already stretched thin by the demands of ongoing operations. Australia, India, and other Pacific countries have taken note of the shifting balance and have responded with their own naval buildups, particularly of their submarine fleets. Unless the U.S. stops--and reverses--the decline of its own fleet, U.S. military superiority in the Pacific will continue to wane, severely limiting the Navy's ability to operate in the region, to protect U.S. interests, and to support U.S. friends and allies.

More here;

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2010/02/submarine-arms-race-in-the-pacific-the-chinese-challenge-to-us-undersea-supremacy

megimoo
11-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Accidental launch of an SLBM??? MY ASS. My 4 yr old accidentally craps his pants, but an SLBM??? What kind of bumble fucks do we have in charge here!!! If not intentional, this is a systemic failure of the whole damn C4 system. It appears the civillian control is setting this up as a contrived systemic failure. Now Barry and friends can use this as a teachable moment to retire the SLBM for the purpose of a more peaceful world.Easy before you pop a cork and go into full paranoia.Barry doesn't have that kind of horse power even if he ordered it they wouldn't do it .I agree that an accidental launch is highly improbable but without that then it had to be an unannounced test of a some bombers systems .

The problem with that theory is the possibility of an accidental hit on a civilian aircraft in the region or some ship in close proximity to the launch point .I suppose they could scan the area to make sure they wouldn't hit any local shipping or aircraft but how could they keep it a secret .I think we can dismiss the possibility of a foreign power being in the vicinity and launching a SLBM as the Navy's reaction so far is quiet .If it had been a foreign launch they would go nuts with fast attack boats and P2V's all over the West Coast.

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Think these guys might have bought a barge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2JAhYkHfXE

Nubs
11-09-2010, 03:54 PM
To clarify my thoughts:

It most likely was a test. If it were not, there would be multiple unarmed/viable warheads laying around the target zone(s). However, the keystone cop explaination is perplexing. Maybe it was a sign to North Korea as it is the next stop on King Barry's trip. If you were North Korea, how better to decapitate the free world?? Fire off all artillery pieces into Seoul during the G20 talks. Has the 7th fleet put to sea recently??

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
To clarify my thoughts:

It most likely was a test. If it were not, there would be multiple unarmed/viable warheads laying around the target zone(s). However, the keystone cop explaination is perplexing. Maybe it was a sign to North Korea as it is the next stop on King Barry's trip. If you were North Korea, how better to decapitate the free world?? Fire off all artillery pieces into Seoul during the G20 talks. Has the 7th fleet put to sea recently??

I believe that if it were a test they would have said so by now. There is no harm in saying "We have tested a Missile" 35 mile off our own coast.

There is harm in "A missile was launched 35 miles off our coast and we don't know who did it".

Nubs
11-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I believe that if it were a test they would have said so by now. There is no harm in saying "We have tested a Missile" 35 mile off our own coast.

There is harm in "A missile was launched 35 miles off our coast and we don't know who did it".

Maybe there are actions underway that do not allow the time for proper notification?

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Maybe there are actions underway that do not allow the time for proper notification?

Hmmmmmmm

megimoo
11-09-2010, 04:30 PM
To clarify my thoughts:

It most likely was a test. If it were not, there would be multiple unarmed/viable warheads laying around the target zone(s). However, the keystone cop explaination is perplexing. Maybe it was a sign to North Korea as it is the next stop on King Barry's trip. If you were North Korea, how better to decapitate the free world?? Fire off all artillery pieces into Seoul during the G20 talks. Has the 7th fleet put to sea recently??The seventh fleet is always on patrol somewhere near the Korean Peninsula either there or off the Coast Of Japan .
Up and down the coast from Subic Bay in the Philippines to Hokkaido Japan .

megimoo
11-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Maybe there are actions underway that do not allow the time for proper notification?Just what would you suggest ?

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Just what would you suggest ?

He could tell ya, but then he would have to kill ya. :D

Nubs
11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Just what would you suggest ?

Maybe the North Koreans are showing abnormal movements near the DMZ. The G20 meetings are only a few days off. Would an unannounced/unexplained SLBM shot be an attempt at deterrance??

I would think anoouncing that they were performing a deterrant demonstration in response to NK troop movements would have a deleterious effect on G20 attendance and the markets in general.

For Barry to condone a SLBM during the Asian Peace and Love tour seems a little contradictory? There is more to the story than what's coming from the Sgt Schultz school of PR management.

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Maybe the North Koreans are showing abnormal movements near the DMZ. The G20 meetings are only a few days off. Would an unannounced/unexplained SLBM shot be an attempt at deterrance??

For Barry to condone a SLBM during the Asian Peace and Love tour seems a little contradictory? There is more to the story than what's coming from the Sgt Schultz school of PR management.

That's it megimoo now he has to kill ya. Run Megs run. :eek:

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 04:58 PM

I would think anoouncing that they were performing a deterrant demonstration in response to NK troop movements would have a deleterious effect on G20 attendance and the markets in general.

To be serious though. This don't hold much water.

If it were a deterrant demonstration it would make better sense to say, this is what we can do. It makes no sense at all to say "Someone fired a missile 35 miles off our coast and we don't know who".

The message this sends is that of being un-prepared for an attack.

megimoo
11-09-2010, 05:03 PM

For Barry to condone a SLBM during the Asian Peace and Love tour seems a little contradictory? There is more to the story than what's coming from the Sgt Schultz school of PR management.If the dummy warheads plopped down next to the Korean fat boys swimming pool maybe I'd believe your theory but as it stands now even Sgt Schultz would say it doesn't make much sense.

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Could this be just another "Ping"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko_Jm7TbgJI

Nubs
11-09-2010, 05:10 PM

If it were a deterrant demonstration it would make better sense to say, this is what we can do. It makes no sense at all to say "Someone fired a missile 35 miles off our coast and we don't know who".

The message this sends is that of being un-prepared for an attack.

By saying "This is what we can do" will result in the question of "Why did you do it?". By playing Sgt Schultz, the action speaks to those that know why we are "speaking" without freaking out the entire world. Not that it has been entirely successful.

If one could imagine the artillery pieces north of the DMZ showing signs of increased activiry. The G20 is a few days off. How would the world react to "We have conducted a SLBM test shot in response to NK troop activity as a show of force" The world would have a shit fit, the G20 talks would be called off, and the markets would tank, So make a test shot and deny/obfuscate until after G20 talks are over. If every thing goes off w/o a hitch, divuldge reasoning the week after G20 is over.

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Orrrr, the Chinese are making a statement of their own. They do have the capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5ju0sHNOo

megimoo
11-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Orrrr, the Chinese are making a statement of their own. They do have the capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5ju0sHNOoBut not capable enough to show up off the coast of California and conduct a missile launch without the American Navy going ballistic .

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
But not capable enough to show up off the coast of California and conduct a missile launch without the American Navy going ballistic .

I certainly hope you are right. Based on my admittedly little research, there are only two countries that have or may have the capabilities to do this,... China and Russia. That is other than the U.S. of course.

China has become our biggest threat.

SarasotaRepub
11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Sorry everyone...I was testing a Proton Torpedo and...well...:(:D

megimoo
11-09-2010, 07:37 PM

The message this sends is that of being un-prepared for an attack.The real problem with this whole thing is we have a bean bag of a president in the White House and the whole world knows it.We will have an event before this birds term runs out that will come close to or actually lead to a real war.

He is in so far over his head it's pathetic,he doesn't know how to govern and he's no politician let alone a diplomat.China has just about told us to go take a crap in our hat and stay away from the South China Sea while she builds up her war machine to take over Asia.Japan,Australia and all of the small Asian countries are at risk of China's full Domination while Obama goes to tea in India .

Kay
11-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Remember this exact same thing happened over Norway not long ago. Russia finally admitted it was them. There seems to be a lot of rougue missles flying around lately (ok...well two).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html

Big Guy
11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Remember this exact same thing happened over Norway not long ago. Russia finally admitted it was them. There seems to be a lot of rougue missles flying around lately (ok...well two).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html

Two rogue missiles is a lot. I do think it is either China or Russia, most likely China. I have absolutely no proof.
Hey, I might be psychic. :eek:

CueSi
11-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry everyone...I was testing a Proton Torpedo and...well...:(:D

I thought it was Iron Man being cute.

~QC

AmPat
11-10-2010, 12:19 AM

What became of the missiles that occured off the east coast a couple years ago?:confused:

Kay
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't remember missles off the east coast? But I do remember the Russian subs
that were crusing around for a couple of weeks just outside our costal waters on
the east coast. Remember all the flap over that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/world/05patrol.html

Gingersnap
11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Chatter on the aviation-related boards have it down to an optical illusion. The photographer seems to corroborate this since he claims to have seen the same phenomena in the same general area several times in the past two weeks.

megimoo
11-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Chatter on the aviation-related boards have it down to an optical illusion. The photographer seems to corroborate this since he claims to have seen the same phenomena in the same general area several times in the past two weeks.
If they didn't see it on the NORAD'S radar it probable was a trick of the light.

Kay
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Gen. McInerney was on Hannity tonight saying he thinks it was a missile test from
a submarine. He seemed to think it most likely was us doing a super secret classified
test. He stated explicitly that it was not caused by an airplane.

ironhorsedriver
11-11-2010, 08:00 AM
It seems if you want to do a secret test, you don't do it right off shore where everyone and their brother can see it. So I don't really buy that.

megimoo
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
It seems if you want to do a secret test, you don't do it right off shore where everyone and their brother can see it. So I don't really buy that.

Mystery “missile launch” off California – solved?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/11/09/mystery-missle-launch-off-california/

http://china-defense.blogspot.com/2010/11/california-missile-launch-hunt-for-red.html

Gingersnap
11-11-2010, 10:10 AM
If they didn't see it on the NORAD'S radar it probable was a trick of the light.

I think that's the big tip off. There are thousands of people who monitor defense readiness out there.