PDA

View Full Version : Desktop icons aren't loading on startup (Windows XP)

jinxmchue
08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
When I start up Windows XP, it gets to the desktop and then stops without loading the icons. (It was working fine yesterday.) A couple times when I've restarted, the icons did pop up before the restart. I can get to a few programs using the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del), but none of the internet programs work (probably because Windows isn't loading to the point where it works). Any ideas what I should try to resolve this?

Sonnabend
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Start with the XP CD in the drive and boot from CD...the CD will do a run through and probably re install a missing component. Thats always a first step..boot from cd.

Let me know what happens, okay?

jinxmchue
08-22-2008, 03:56 PM
It might take a few hours if that (or anything else I found) doesn't work.

I think I'm going to have to get one of the cheap surplus computers from the school as a backup.

Sonnabend
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
It might take a few hours if that (or anything else I found) doesn't work.

Jinx: do a reboot with the XP cd in, if that doesnt work, come back here and tell me and we go to the next step.

jinxmchue
08-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Okay, I think I found the problem. I restarted in the mode with all the system programs turned off and it came up fine. So I went back and started turning on the programs and restarting (started with one at a time, but then went to 5 at a time). It turned out to be the "DHCP client" program. I have it off and everything else on and the computer starts fine, but it's a program necessary for internet access, so I can't get online now on that computer.

jinxmchue
08-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay, a techie for my computer manufacturer got me a program to download and try. He seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

Sonnabend
08-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Okay. Good stuff.

jinxmchue
08-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Okay. Good stuff.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. :( And I don't think they have any techies around for chat today. Someone on Conservative Cave mentioned something about using the XP disk to fix it, but I don't think we got any disks when we got the computer. The drive is partitioned, so I'm wondering if maybe what I need is on there.

jinxmchue
08-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay, this is weird. I re-enabled the DHCP client and redid that program I got from Gateway, then restarted. It was a slow start up again with the desktop not loading, so I started to go into msconfig again and suddenly the stuff started showing up. I was able to access the internet, too. I don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth, though, so I restarted. Sure enough, the same problem happened. (In hindsight, I probably should've made a backup point.)

*sigh* This is frustrating.

jinxmchue
08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Okay. It's very slow to do so, but the icons do come up and I can get online. Any ideas what would cause that?

jinxmchue
08-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Found a go-around to lessen the incidence of this problem, too: stand-by/hibernate. Never used those before, but boy are they great! Now this will be a problem only when we have to restart after things like installing new programs.