PDA

View Full Version : Pot O' Gold: Family's Old Vase Fetches $83 Million

MountainMan
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM
It was just an old Chinese vase that had been in the family for 80 years. It turned out to be much more.

When the intricately painted 18th-century piece went on the block at Bainbridges, a small suburban London auction house, it sold for a record $83 million Thursday, scooped up by a Chinese buyer

NPR newslink (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131268585)

This is why I hit estate sales and old barns.......

JB
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
This is why I hit estate sales and old barns.......Don't you have to have an eye for shit like that? Otherwise you're just transferring ownership of one persons junk to yourself.

MountainMan
11-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Don't you have to have an eye for shit like that? Otherwise you're just transferring ownership of one persons junk to yourself.

Yes, you can pick up a lot of junk. Thats why I specialize in old tools, fishing lures and equipment and toys.

Madisonian
11-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Don't you have to have an eye for shit like that? Otherwise you're just transferring ownership of one persons junk to yourself.

You have to know what you are looking for and looking at.
DW and I go to estate auctions (the country kind, not the Sotheby's kind) almost every weekend.
I have yet to find an $83 million vase, but there are some things you can make some money on.
Minor case in point.
A few months ago I saw a Mitsubishi Linear tracking turntable at an auction. Knowing this was a "vintage" turntable I whipped out the handy netbook, going on Ebay for $100-$200. Bought it for $5 dollars, sold it (with shipping) for a $140 profit. (Well, I have to pay taxes on that at the end of the year :D) Riiiiiggghhhhtt!

I have seen guitars, toy trains, tools (current and antique), etc. for way cheap.
Today I picked up 2 12 volt Dewalt XRP batteries for $2. Look like new, may be shot. If they work, I have almost $100 in new batteries for my currently useless drill.

If they don't, I am out 2 bucks and I'll chuck them in a landfill just to piss off an enviro-whacko. That's $2 worth of fun right there!