PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter enthusiasts look to capture 'snitch' at 4th annual Quidditch World Cup

PoliCon
11-13-2010, 11:44 PM
The snitch is loose!

With eyes alert and brooms between their legs, hundreds of Harry Potter-channelling college and high school students swooped down on Manhattan to catch the elusive snitch during the fourth annual Quidditch World Cup yesterday.

The magical game, made famous by author J.K. Rowling's books about the young wizard, kicked off at DeWitt Clinton Park with participants from Yale, Tufts, Texas A&M and NYU.

"I don't think we have much of a strategy, but we've got this," said a confident Angel Peralta, 20, a junior at NYU.

The fledgling team - called the "Violet Hipster Horcruxes" - started losing in the first five minutes when an Emerson College "chaser" threw a volleyball through one of the three goal hoops held up by poles - score 10 points.

Jared Kowalczyk, 21, board member of the International Quidditch Association, said the game - a mixture of basketball, soccer and dodgeball - has gotten more competitive in the last two years.

More than 1,000 schools applied to compete, and students like Syracuse junior Robert Dekker traveled all the way from Los Angeles, where he is doing an internship. His mother shelled out $300 for a plane ticket so her son could compete.

"I had to let her know that it gets intense," said Dekker, originally from Bedminster, NJ. "Last year at the World Cup, there were broken bones."

There were only cheers for University of Massachusetts junior Chris Chan, the "seeker" who captured the snitch - a purple sock - and won the game against Penn State University.

"It's so rewarding," the 20-year-old said. "We're not just playing a game, we're living out this dream generated from reading the books."

The World Cup continues today at 9 a.m. The championship game is scheduled for 4:30 p.m..

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/13/2010-11-13_harry_potter_enthusiasts_look_to_capture_snitch _at_fourth_annual_quidditch_world.html

PoliCon
11-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Every time I make up my mind that there is no possible way I could ever support the theory of eugenics - something like this ^^^^ comes up.