PDA

View Full Version : An important announcement about the DU rules, and how we enforce them.

SarasotaRepub
11-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Das Skinner speaks to his flock!!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9563958)

Skinner ADMIN (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-15-10 04:13 PM
Original message An important announcement about the DU rules, and how we enforce them.

Earlier this year I posted a thread (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8603151) announcing some changes to the DU rules and the way we were enforcing them because, as I wrote at the the time, it was "apparent that having a Democrat in the White House presents new and difficult challenges for the DU community."

Our plan was to use an extremely detailed set of rules that would cover most disruptive situations we could think of, and have the moderators enforce them by sticking closely to the letter of the rules. The idea was to try and get everyone -- members, moderators, and administrators -- on the same page.

But after trying this approach throughout the summer and into the fall, we have come to the conclusion that it has been a failure. (OMG!!! But David...everyone knows the DUers are the most biggest Super Geniuseses that ever posted on the intertubes...right???) The new rules were far too complicated for most people to want to learn or remember, and they had so many loopholes and gray areas that we actually ended up encouraging the most disruptive members of the site. Ironically, these folks seemed to be the only people who really made an effort to understand the new rules -- and then used that understanding to target people they didn't like and try to get them in trouble with the moderators.

MORE stuff at the linky. :D

djones520
11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Heh... DUmmies get a first hand look in how attempting to regulate people failed.

Bubba Dawg
11-15-2010, 08:04 PM
All he has to do is to substitute one word for all his detailed set of rules.

How does DU enforce the rules?

Arbitrarily.

Hawking
11-15-2010, 08:43 PM
:D He couldn't control them. It's the funniest thing I ever read on a forum.

SarasotaRepub
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
:D He couldn't control them. It's the funniest thing I ever read on a forum.

He has to be careful...these loons are his meal ticket.