PDA

View Full Version : Now Meet The Real Gay Mafia

megimoo
11-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Gay taxis, gay funeral directors: people make money out of keeping homosexuals in a ghetto

I've often found it helpful to seek an outsider's perspective on complex issues, and so while pondering the possibility of a gay mafia, I decided to take my sister out for a night at one of London's hottest gay nightclubs. She confirmed my suspicions. In a heavy night of partying, she saw a happy, exciting community that thrives despite being oppressed. She saw the beautiful people, the cutting-edge fashion, the unadulterated fun; she went home in disbelief that we still picket parliament demanding more. A recent survey found that 65 per cent of gay people regularly lied about their sexuality to avoid being beaten up, but in spite of that we've adopted a lifestyle that heterosexuals envy. Pure genius or an own goal?

I believe that there is an explanation for the gay lobby's lack of political progress, in changing both the statute book and the hearts and minds of the public. The responsibility lies with a small group of businessmen who have a major financial interest in keeping lesbian and gay people on the fringes of society - where they are most profitable. Welcome to the real gay mafia.

Gay business, or the "pink pound" as it has crudely become known, is big business. Richard Branson owns Britain's largest gay nightclub, and hundreds of other investors are opening gay shops, restaurants and bars in the knowledge that fortunes have already been made by tapping into the gay market.

Many people believe these companies provide powerful examples of how integrated society has become; how successful and accepted gay people are in Tony Blair's Britain. Not so. Homosexuals need so many exclusively gay businesses precisely because they are not an accepted part of mainstream society. Gay people voluntarily opt out of society in order to escape from homophobic abuse. By using gay taxi firms, gay doctors and even gay funeral directors (look under F in the Gay to Z business directory: there are a dozen in London alone), gays are able to live a life relatively free from prejudice.

http://www.newstatesman.com/199902120019