PDA

View Full Version : Boehner is apparently the new Speaker

Molon Labe
11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Decided in a closed session today. Supposedly unanimous decision.

This is not the type change the tea party was about since the mandate against the Democrats was precisely because of the bailouts TARP and stimulus over spending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ja9q386ek

Go to about the 2:23 minute mark in this video below at watch Boehner go to work. They are talking the same old stuff.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-23-2010/postcards-from-the-pledge

I sure hope they're serious this time.

patriot45
11-17-2010, 04:11 PM
We will see if he turns into a Newt! The power went to Newts head!
I read a book by Tom Coburn and he explained what a traitor Newt was after he got the power!

Madisonian
11-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Boehner is just another corporstatist hack.
How soon before he will sitting with Nasty Pelosi making "can't we just get along" videos like Newt Gangrene did with the slimy bitch over global warming.

We are so screwed.

Apache
11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Boehner is just another corporstatist hack.
How soon before he will sitting with Nasty Pelosi making "can't we just get along" videos like Newt Gangrene did with the slimy bitch over global warming.

We are so screwed.

What? You mean he's a politician?!?! :rolleyes:

Bleda
11-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Do you remember this (http://johnboehner.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=177587)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOdvn2dtM0A&feature=player_embedded

Madisonian
11-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Do you remember this (http://johnboehner.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=177587)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOdvn2dtM0A&feature=player_embedded

Well I made it almost 3 minutes before shutting it off.
He said what he said (or more likely one of his staffers wrote) to get re-elected. Nothing more.
If he had one ounce of testosterone, he would have come out on election night and said
" Our first act will be to submit a bill to repeal HCR in its entirety. Until that is done, there will not be a second. No revenue bills, no budgets, nothing for the Senate to tack on to, no upping the debt limit, no H.R. 1424 avoidance, nothing.
The people have spoken, we will listen and if need be, we will shut the government down.
Mr. President, you once said, and I am paraphrasing here, "We won, you lost, get over it". Well Mr. President, we won, Nancy lost, deal with it."

But that would take political courage. Something Boehner and his faux conservatives have precious little.

Bleda
11-17-2010, 09:32 PM
He has already said that he's going to do everything he can to repeal (and replace) ObamaCare.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/05/boehner-well-make-sure-obamacare-never-ever-ever-is-implemented/comment-page-1/#comments

We all want it gone, but you can't focus just on ObamaCare. That's not the sole reason the GOP won. Do you want the GOP to make the exact same mistake the Democrats did and focus on health care instead of, say, the economy?

By the way, do you really think the GOP can repeal ObamaCare with Democratic control of the Senate and White House? A bill to repeal ObamaCare would be for show; a purely symbolic thing. It can wait.

lacarnut
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
He has already said that he's going to do everything he can to repeal (and replace) ObamaCare.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/11/05/boehner-well-make-sure-obamacare-never-ever-ever-is-implemented/comment-page-1/#comments

We all want it gone, but you can't focus just on ObamaCare. That's not the sole reason the GOP won. Do you want the GOP to make the exact same mistake the Democrats did and focus on health care instead of, say, the economy?

By the way, do you really think the GOP can repeal ObamaCare with Democratic control of the Senate and White House? A bill to repeal ObamaCare would be for show; a purely symbolic thing. It can wait.

I am not a fan of Boehner but you hit the nail on the head. Extending the tax cuts and getting the economy on track should be on the Repubs #1 legislative agenda.

m00
11-18-2010, 12:32 AM
I am not a fan of Boehner but you hit the nail on the head. Extending the tax cuts and getting the economy on track should be on the Repubs #1 legislative agenda.

I'd prefer they restore lost freedoms first. Economic policies come and go, but once taken by government the only thing harder than tax money to get returned to the citizens is freedoms.

Bleda
11-18-2010, 12:42 AM
I'd prefer they restore lost freedoms first. Economic policies come and go, but once taken by government the only thing harder than tax money to get returned to the citizens is freedoms.

Personally, I think national security/foreign policy and ObamaCare are the biggest issues facing America, not the economy. But a lot of people disagree with me, and the GOP should at least pander to them until economic issues are out of the radar and we can focus on more 'important' things.

Adam Wood
11-18-2010, 01:58 AM
I can tolerate Boehner, though he's certainly not my first choice. I'll confess a little bit of bias here, but I would have much preferred Marsha Blackburn in the big chair, because I know for a fact that she can (and would) marshal GOP forces into a genuine conservative Leviathan. Boehner, I think, will generally drive the House to the Right, and I suspect that he will be able to use enough Beltway tactics to get his job done. But what I don't think he will be able to do, something that Blackburn would be able to do, is to marshal the voting public into a genuine conservative Leviathan. And the difference there is night and day. Ask Ronald Reagan if you don't believe me.

The American public, despite the howls to the contrary from so many corners, is yearning for a real, serious, conservative revolution, and the House is by far the best place to start. Their (the American People's) top concern is laying the smackdown on the deficit (and ultimately the debt), and they don't want all of this ludicrous spending. Now, Bush started the spending, so he certainly shares the blame here, but Obama, spending like a drunken Democrat (h/t Daveman), has made Bush look like a piker on his worst spending day. And who ultimately controls the spending? The House, that's who.

So, starting here isn't a bad place to start. But it's a damn shitty place to finish, sort of like Utah Beach. So, I'm really hoping that Boehner is up to the job, but I do temper my hopes accordingly. I'll take Boehner as a Speaker, and I'll respect him, and he does a damn good job as a righteously-indignant firebrand, but I don't trust the guy any farther than I can throw him. That doesn't make him much of any different from any other politician, but I know for certain that I could throw Marsha Blackburn a damn sight farther than I could throw Boehner. Blackburn is an itty bitty little thing. :D

Molon Labe
11-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I can tolerate Boehner, though he's certainly not my first choice.

Are you tired of settling? Don't we deserve better? Isn't that what we thought this was all about?

If the culmination of the Republican victory is John Bailout Bohner....well.....good grief.

Adam Wood
11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Are you tired of settling? Don't we deserve better? Isn't that what we thought this was all about?

If the culmination of the Republican victory is John Bailout Bohner....well.....good grief.I don't particularly mind settling if I get at least most of what I want. Life's full of choices, and if you can't deal with having to settle for things now and again, then you're going to have a pretty miserable life.

We, the voting public, don't really have much say in who is Speaker, other than that we get to toss out a party and/or vote in a party to nudge the process (hence why this election was not only a referendum on Obama, but also a BIGTIME referendum on Pelosi). There's a whole lot of inside baseball on who's chosen for Speaker, Whip, etc., and frankly, I don't think I trust most of the voting public to make the right choices there if that were somehow in the public's hands. So no, I never harbored any illusions of doing any more to decide the next Speaker other than ensure that it wasn't Nancy Pelosi. And you have to admit, that in and of itself is a tremendous accomplishment and improvement. Hell, Dennis Kookcinich could have displaced Pelosi and I would have been thrilled; at least he's completely and utterly ineffective at anything and everything.

I've long ago learned to take victories one at a time. We didn't march from Pointe-du-Hoc all the way to Berlin on June 6. We still won the day, though, and won big. Same goes here. Conservatives, real conservatives, flexed their muscle for the first time in a long time a couple of weeks ago. That is a huge accomplishment. The Left doesn't get to tut-tut conservatives and dismiss them as fringe nutjobs any more. The TEA Party is officially a force to be reckoned with. And the good news out of all of that is that I'm pretty confident that people, LOTS of people, will be keeping an eagle eye on not only Boehner, but also the entire House, for the next two years. Boehner knows that he'd better watch his step from here forward or else he's going to feel some serious wrath.

And that, IMO, is a damn good thing. If that means putting up with Boehner in a largely figurehead position, then I'm OK with that.

Molon Labe
11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't particularly mind settling if I get at least most of what I want. Life's full of choices, and if you can't deal with having to settle for things now and again, then you're going to have a pretty miserable life.

lol. Not in government. :p

Jfor
11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I want to see the repeal of the 1968 Gun Control Act and the 1986 Gun ban. That would make me very happy.

fettpett
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
while He might be the speaker he has 90 new members of the House that are closely linked to the TEA Party and will do everything they can to keep him and the rest of the House on track. I'm not naive enough to think that some of them wont fall to the pressure and power of Washington, but there are enough of them to keep each other on track.

Personally wish that Pence or Paul Ryan had gotten the Speakership over him though.