PDA

View Full Version : Weeeee! Weeee!

Speedy
11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Nailed a feral pig this morning. Clean headshot. Once again, mom helped with the skinning and butchering.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/100_2252_600x400.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/100_2253_600x400.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/100_2254_600x400.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/100_2255_600x400.jpg

Rebel Yell
11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Any reason for taking the headshot? How far a shot was it?

Speedy
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
It was not a long range shot. About 50 yards. I used my Mini-14. It was an easy headshot so I took it,

Rebel Yell
11-18-2010, 03:17 PM
It was not a long range shot. About 50 yards. I used my Mini-14. It was an easy headshot so I took it,

Good kill. I just wondered if you trapped him.

Odysseus
11-18-2010, 03:25 PM
When I saw the thread title and photo, my first thought was that you'd nailed Wei. :D

lacarnut
11-18-2010, 03:47 PM
When I saw the thread title and photo, my first thought was that you'd nailed Wei. :D

Or that he had gotten Wee Weeded up with the Magic Negro.

Bailey
11-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Please dont tease me like that :)

Bubba Dawg
11-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Nice. Is that what's called a Javelina?

Rockntractor
11-18-2010, 07:27 PM

There goes what was left of the grill on his pickup!:eek:

Speedy
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM

It is not a Javelina. It is a feral hog. Domesticated hogs that went wild generations ago. Probably some Javelina DNA in there somewhere. This is a young runt. Not unusual to take down hogs weighing 400-500 pounds out here.

Bubba Dawg
11-18-2010, 07:30 PM
There goes what was left of the grill on his pickup!:eek:

Dude. I keep tellin' ya...he'g got a brush guard.

May have to hose out the winch cable tho....:D

Rockntractor
11-18-2010, 07:32 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/mbcn592l.jpg

Bubba Dawg
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
It is not a Javelina. It is a feral hog. Domesticated hogs that went wild generations ago. Probably some Javelina DNA in there somewhere. This is a young runt. Not unusual to take down hogs weighing 400-500 pounds out here.

Wow.

We have wild hogs around here. Not that many, though. There are more in South Georgia but we have 'em here on Forest Service land.

Speedy
11-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow.

We have wild hogs around here. Not that many, though. There are more in South Georgia but we have 'em here on Forest Service land.

There are quite a few around here along with other types of critters like coyotes, bobcats, cougars and such. I haven"t seen any myself but there have been bear sightings. You also have mystical critters like lechusas. Actually saw a lechusa last week.

Gingersnap
11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I'll bite. What is a lechusa?

Speedy
11-18-2010, 10:49 PM

A lechusa or lechuza is a large owl like bird but much bigger. They don't hoot but whistle very loud and shrill. Some people believe that lechuzas are witches who can take the shape of these large birds.

Gingersnap
11-18-2010, 10:56 PM
A lechusa or lechuza is a large owl like bird but much bigger. They don't hoot but whistle very loud and shrill. Some people believe that lechuzas are witches who can take the shape of these large birds.

Okay, you saw one? You must tell us.

Also, they aren't in Colorado, right? :eek:

Speedy
11-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Okay, you saw one? You must tell us.

Also, they aren't in Colorado, right? :eek:

In my lifetime I have seen lechuzas about half a dozen times. I do not believe the whole lechuzas are witches thing, though. To me they are just huge birds that are very rareky seen.

The one I saw last week was flying low in the opposite direction I was traveling. It was just a few feet above the highway and when it got close to my Jeep it swooped up over it. I stpped a few miles up the road to drain the big lizard and as I got back into my Jeep the damned lechuza buzzed me,

Gingersnap
11-18-2010, 11:16 PM
In my lifetime I have seen lechuzas about half a dozen times. I do not believe the whole lechuzas are witches thing, though. To me they are just huge birds that are very rareky seen.

The one I saw last week was flying low in the opposite direction I was traveling. It was just a few feet above the highway and when it got close to my Jeep it swooped up over it. I stpped a few miles up the road to drain the big lizard and as I got back into my Jeep the damned lechuza buzzed me,

But they aren't in Colorful Colorado, right?

Bubba Dawg
11-18-2010, 11:24 PM

I have no doubt that they exist.

It's too cold for them in Colorado, though, unless they find an open garage to take shelter in....

Gingersnap
11-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I have no doubt that they exist.

It's too cold for them in Colorado, though, unless they find an open garage to take shelter in....

You damn Spandex-wearing devil! :mad:

Speedy
11-19-2010, 09:10 AM

Not that I know of. They are mostly native to South and Southwest Texas, maybe New Mexico.

Rebel Yell
11-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Wow.

We are overrun with them down here. They're actually classified as a nuisance species. We shoot every one of them we see. Most of them, we leave laying by the field we shoot them in. Hogs are actually pretty smart creatures. If you leave a few dead ones in the area, the rest will move away.

Rockntractor
11-19-2010, 09:32 AM
We are overrun with them down here. They're actually classified as a nuisance species. We shoot every one of them we see. Most of them, we leave laying by the field we shoot them in. Hogs are actually pretty smart creatures. If you leave a few dead ones in the area, the rest will move away.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/jdun367l.jpg

Speedy
11-19-2010, 10:32 AM

There is no permit needed or season for hunting these. I usually take one or two (depending on the size) right before the holidays. My mom loves to stew the meat in garlic and red pepper, mix it with some venison for tamales. That is some good eating there.

I am going to take Deeanna hunting this weekend. We've been shooting quite a bit, but she has not gone out to kill anything yet. She likes my fiberglass stocked 30-06 in spite of the fact that it packs a wallop as far as recoil.

Horses, shooting, hunting the city kid is slowly being worked out of her.

Speedy
11-19-2010, 10:52 AM

They look something like this but much bigger.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/zafy_draco/Alba.jpg

Wei Wu Wei
11-19-2010, 11:35 AM

scary as hell

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2010, 07:48 PM
You damn Spandex-wearing devil! :mad:

Hey, not to worry. 99% of the time your garage door is closed. You're very fastidious in these matters.

I hear these things are huge. I bet they have enormous talons.

What the heck is a talon anyway? Prolly something that rips flesh.

Odysseus
11-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Horses, shooting, hunting the city kid...

How many city kids have you bagged?

Gingersnap
11-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Hey, not to worry. 99% of the time your garage door is closed. You're very fastidious in these matters.

I hear these things are huge. I bet they have enormous talons.

What the heck is a talon anyway? Prolly something that rips flesh.

He posted a pic of Barn Owl. I don't care how big this Mexican bird is, a shotty will take it out, if it exists. If it doesn't, a shotty is still a fine weapon for home defense or malicious garage door pranksters. :cool:

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2010, 08:43 PM
He posted a pic of Barn Owl. I don't care how big this Mexican bird is, a shotty will take it out, if it exists. If it doesn't, a shotty is still a fine weapon for home defense or malicious garage door pranksters. :cool:

Yeah, but that Barn Owl is 8 feet tall.....:eek:

Gingersnap
11-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah, but that Barn Owl is 8 feet tall.....:eek:

*changes to deer slugs*

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2010, 09:17 PM
*changes to deer slugs*

:D

Kay
11-19-2010, 10:07 PM

Notice the colors in this bird. The feathers are amazing and nature put so much
detail into them. The pattern is so intricate. I love southwest / Santa Fe decor and
have my living room decorated in these colors. I need this bird stuffed and in my
living room. Just study on this picture - truly one of natures greatest artful designs.

Gingersnap
11-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Notice the colors in this bird. The feathers are amazing and nature put so much detail into them. The pattern is so intricate. I love southwest / Santa Fe decor and have my living room decorated in these colors. I need this bird stuffed and in my living room. Just study on this picture - truly one of natures greatest artful designs.

Gee, I've got the Southwestern-translated-through-Mission-style thing going on myself. That bird would look fabulous in rug format in front of my fireplace.

Thor
11-20-2010, 11:11 AM
There are quite a few feral hogs up here in North Central Texas, but everybody wants a person to PAY for hunting and killing them. I haven't found a place to hunt them on public land, yet. I wouldn't mind a hog for the smoker.....

Speedy
11-20-2010, 12:44 PM
There are quite a few feral hogs up here in North Central Texas, but everybody wants a person to PAY for hunting and killing them. I haven't found a place to hunt them on public land, yet. I wouldn't mind a hog for the smoker.....

Here they are regarded as pests and all you really need is to know someone well enough to trust you on their property with firearms.

hampshirebrit
11-20-2010, 02:49 PM

Beautiful.

I hope you won't be projecting any firepower at it. In the UK, raptors are protected, and you would get a lengthy prison term for harming one.