PDA

View Full Version : Do you talk politics or about the news with your kids?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Just wondering.
My parents do at times, they used to before than now--Now they're just kind of disgusted with it all. They didn't even vote in 2008 because they found both candidates to be lacking. So yeah, though they talked about politics more often when I was a bit younger, they don't now.

What about you? Do you talk about politics around your kids, or even with them? What about the news--Same questions?

I think--and you can disagree--I think that parents SHOULD talk about their politics or their take on the news with their kids. First of all, it's just one more way for them to know you; Secondly, it might pique their interest in politics too and make them civics minded adults--And maybe, they'll become something or seek to change things.

MrsSmith
11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Just wondering.
My parents do at times, they used to before than now--Now they're just kind of disgusted with it all. They didn't even vote in 2008 because they found both candidates to be lacking. So yeah, though they talked about politics more often when I was a bit younger, they don't now.

What about you? Do you talk about politics around your kids, or even with them? What about the news--Same questions?

I think--and you can disagree--I think that parents SHOULD talk about their politics or their take on the news with their kids. First of all, it's just one more way for them to know you; Secondly, it might pique their interest in politics too and make them civics minded adults--And maybe, they'll become something or seek to change things.

I don't talk politics specifically with my kids, though my hubby and I discuss things when they're around. However, if my kid has a school assignment about something political and asks for help, the right view is certainly discussed. For example, my youngest needed to do a paper on "Intolerance" a couple weeks ago, settled on an issue in Florida where school officials were threatened with a fine and 6 months jail time for saying a blessing before a meal...off school property...with only adults present. I pulled up several news stories, and SHE chose that one. :D

djones520
11-19-2010, 07:56 AM
My son is 2 and a half years old... so no.

Gingersnap
11-19-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't have kids but I'm pretty sure one of the Shelties is a crypto-Commie. :cool:

Shannon
11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I've been brainwashing my brat his entire life. I make him watch Red Dawn every night before bed. He is prepared to kill all commies and hippies on sight.

Adam Wood
11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Just wondering.

I think--and you can disagree--I think that parents SHOULD talk about their politics or their take on the news with their kids. First of all, it's just one more way for them to know you; Secondly, it might pique their interest in politics too and make them civics minded adults--And maybe, they'll become something or seek to change things.I do, but for the most part Octavia just sits in my lap and purrs.

Wei Wu Wei
11-19-2010, 11:24 AM
My parents never talked politics when I was a child. They were fairly apolitical with conservative positions on social issues but they felt that was more of an issue of morality instead of politics. I'm pretty sure they never voted.

I enjoyed discussing social issues with them as a child, I was always one for debate and discussion, but they didn't seem to care which candidate won.

I don't have children of my own yet but I want to teach them critical thinking skills and if they have the same thirst for knowledge that I do, then I can simply surround them with materials and allow them to form their own ideas.

Rockntractor
11-19-2010, 01:04 PM
My parents never talked politics when I was a child. They were fairly apolitical with conservative positions on social issues but they felt that was more of an issue of morality instead of politics. I'm pretty sure they never voted.

I enjoyed discussing social issues with them as a child, I was always one for debate and discussion, but they didn't seem to care which candidate won.

I don't have children of my own yet but I want to teach them critical thinking skills and if they have the same thirst for knowledge that I do, then I can simply surround them with materials and allow them to form their own ideas.

Seriously the world is populated enough get a vasectomy or better yet just lop them off, your life will be so much simpler. Do it for Mother Earth!

Kay
11-19-2010, 08:23 PM
I've been brainwashing my brat his entire life. I make him watch Red Dawn every night before bed. He is prepared to kill all commies and hippies on sight.

Shannon, you demonstrate excellence in parenting skills.

I grew up in a family that discussed the news and politics all the time. We were always encouraged to look at issues from all angels, form our own opinions, and then vote accordingly. I always discussed the news, politics and important people in history with my son when he was growing up. I think it's important.

w.w.w. is the result you get when parents are apathetic to political discussion.

PoliCon
11-19-2010, 10:12 PM

lol! YOU GO GIRL!! :D

PoliCon
11-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Children should be seen and not heard when grown ups are talking. That was the rule I grew up under. Now that I have kids in my care - and since they are all older approaching voting age - I encourage them to make themselves aware on the issues and vote accordingly. I firmly believe that if you are not going to bother being informed you should not vote.

Odysseus
11-19-2010, 10:44 PM
We talk, and my oldest has picked up a lot from us (she's seven). She already knows that Obama is bad news, although she really doesn't understand why yet.

That explains a lot. Nature abhors a vacuum, and they left one between your ears.

Given that you are a teacher (so you say, you still won't tell us what subject you mangle), you do enough damage to other people's kids as it is. Don't feel the need to inflict your world view on your own children when the time comes. They will be much better off if you leave them to be raised by wolves, or some other creature with a better grasp of reality.

Calypso Jones
11-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I started on my kids when they were in Elementary school. Now i have grandchildren and i've already started. She is 3 and can recite the pledge of Allegiance and the Christian pledge. She knows WE are Americans, Rush is Right and Obama is a bad man. So far so good.

Wei Wu Wei
11-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Nature abhors a vacuum

It does not.

Man abhors a vacuum, and projects a lot.

Wei Wu Wei
11-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I started on my kids when they were in Elementary school. Now i have grandchildren and i've already started. She is 3 and can recite the pledge of Allegiance and the Christian pledge. She knows WE are Americans, Rush is Right and Obama is a bad man. So far so good.

How on earth does a 3 year old have opinions about politics?

How does this not seem like indoctrination?

It seems that extreme-right positions can only form if they are actively pushed onto a child at a young age so they are accepted as reality before the child is able to think critically.

Wei Wu Wei
11-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Shannon, you demonstrate excellence in parenting skills.

I grew up in a family that discussed the news and politics all the time. We were always encouraged to look at issues from all angels, form our own opinions, and then vote accordingly. I always discussed the news, politics and important people in history with my son when he was growing up. I think it's important.

w.w.w. is the result you get when parents are apathetic to political discussion.

I was extremely inquisitive as a youngster, my parents were usually honest if they didn't know much about a topic, they'd explain that their knowledge on the topic was limited and directed me towards sources like books. They were always very practical-minded people, so didn't have a lot of book knowledge but encouraged me to learn as much as I wanted. I spent a lot of time at the library and had one full encyclopedia set as a child.

Because I didn't like the news (what child does?) and my parents wouldn't talk about political parties or candidates, the closest I would come to even asking about it was wondering how money works or asking about history.

Now, my parents were not always the super open type. They were evangelical christians so instead of having long discussions about politics or politicians we had long discussions about issues of morality, purpose, and faith. I was very questioning as a child, my parents didn't like that when it came to Christianity but they still were willing to discuss any issue with me, even if I clearly disagreed.

Odysseus
11-20-2010, 02:12 PM
It does not.

Man abhors a vacuum, and projects a lot.
Okay, we can check physics off of the list of subjects, and I'm betting that the other hard sciences are off the list, too.

It seems that extreme-right positions can only form if they are actively pushed onto a child at a young age so they are accepted as reality before the child is able to think critically.
It seems that way to someone so far to the left that anything to the right of Stalin looks extreme. It is extreme left positions that demand constant indoctrination and reinforcement, since reality tends to contradict them.

I was extremely inquisitive as a youngster, my parents were usually honest if they didn't know much about a topic, they'd explain that their knowledge on the topic was limited and directed me towards sources like books. They were always very practical-minded people, so didn't have a lot of book knowledge but encouraged me to learn as much as I wanted. I spent a lot of time at the library and had one full encyclopedia set as a child.

Because I didn't like the news (what child does?) and my parents wouldn't talk about political parties or candidates, the closest I would come to even asking about it was wondering how money works or asking about history.

Now, my parents were not always the super open type. They were evangelical christians so instead of having long discussions about politics or politicians we had long discussions about issues of morality, purpose, and faith. I was very questioning as a child, my parents didn't like that when it came to Christianity but they still were willing to discuss any issue with me, even if I clearly disagreed.
Ah, I get it. Now we're your surrogate parents, and you come here to rebel against mommy and daddy's morality and religion, and the leftist pap is simply part of your perpetual adolescence. So much is clear now.

Phillygirl
11-20-2010, 02:16 PM
I've always talked to "my" kids about politics. I once took 3 of the boys to a battlefield for a tour and a reenactment. They were 4, 5, and 6. On the way there we talked about who was the 1st President, who was the current President (it was Bush) and who was the greatest President ever (Reagan). We practiced in the car the whole way there so that they would remember. As we were walking across the parking lot I quizzed them one final time. There were a couple of older (middle aged men) walking within earshot and got a huge kick out of hearing the kids answer the last question.

I explain to them the differences between Republicans and Democrats. We talk about the candidates. One of the boys went with me to see a John McCain rally and enjoyed it a lot (he was about 10 at the time).

As they get older they may ultimately disagree with me politically (*crossing fingers that doesn't actually happen), but at least they will have had some background of discussing it and knowing how important it is to be aware politically and to vote after having investigated the options.

My father talked to me about politics as he was involved directly with them. I can remember whining as a kid that I didn't want to watch Richard Nixon's resignation and not understanding that even if we did change the channel there would be nothing else on t.v. at that time. But I am glad that there were some discussions in the house about politics. As I grew older my grandfather and I were on opposite ends of the spectrum politically and I always enjoyed bringing up politics at family dinners so that he and I could fight about it. Everyone else hated it, but he and I enjoyed the hell out of it!

Wei Wu Wei
11-20-2010, 03:00 PM
It seems that way to someone so far to the left that anything to the right of Stalin looks extreme. It is extreme left positions that demand constant indoctrination and reinforcement, since reality tends to contradict them.

You're responding to a left-wing person who consumes right wing media quite often and enjoys this message board.

Ah, I get it. Now we're your surrogate parents, and you come here to rebel against mommy and daddy's morality and religion, and the leftist pap is simply part of your perpetual adolescence. So much is clear now.

lol yep because you know how much i anti-christian post dang you're sharp

AmPat
11-20-2010, 03:31 PM

And for that mom, I thank you.:p

AmPat
11-20-2010, 03:46 PM
This is for primarily for WEI WEI but any other "progressives" on the board may chime in.

There are many types of indoctrination WEI WEI, There is good and bad, right and wrong, moral and immoral. These can be further refined and defined by labels. Let me give some examples:

Progressive indoctrination as practiced in American schools and universities, Black Churches, most DIMWIToRATS, and the majority of news outlets is bad.
Conservative Indoctrination as practiced in Bible believing Churches, Christian schools, Tea Party meetings, military organizations, and the Boy Scouts of America is good indoctrination.

Traveling the world as the Chief Diplomat of the United States, at the taxpayer's expense and denigrating, disparaging, and apologizing for your country like say O Blah Blah does is bad for the country. Maybe this sorry excuse for a president could have used the good indoctrinatin. Which type do you think he actually grew up with?

Calypso Jones
11-20-2010, 06:48 PM

She is learning right from wrong. And i knew someone would have a problem with this and i knew they'd be on the left. Your problem with this is that i'm getting to her before the government leftist schools can and i'm more honest about it than they are. So go suck a pickle.

Odysseus
11-21-2010, 12:23 AM
She is learning right from wrong. And i knew someone would have a problem with this and i knew they'd be on the left. Your problem with this is that i'm getting to her before the government leftist schools can and i'm more honest about it than they are. So go suck a pickle.

Learning right from wrong inoculates her against Wei's brand of indoctrination, hence his problem with it.

PoliCon
11-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Give me a child before the age of 7 and I will give you the man he will become.

Odysseus
11-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Give me a child before the age of 7 and I will give you the man he will become.

Unless you're with NAMBLA, in which case you'll get 20 to life. :D

PoliCon
11-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Unless you're with NAMBLA, in which case you'll get 20 to life. :D

You could argue that the jesuits and nambla have a lot of the same members if you were one of those people who assumes that all catholic priests are child molesters . . . .I'm not one of those people though. :p

Odysseus
11-21-2010, 04:56 PM
You could argue that the jesuits and nambla have a lot of the same members if you were one of those people who assumes that all catholic priests are child molesters . . . .I'm not one of those people though. :p

The church wouldn't have had that scandal if they hadn't opened up the ranks to gays, in the belief that celibacy would preclude gays from acting out as it did straight priests. Another argument against DADT repeal.

PoliCon
11-21-2010, 05:52 PM
The church wouldn't have had that scandal if they hadn't opened up the ranks to gays, in the belief that celibacy would preclude gays from acting out as it did straight priests. Another argument against DADT repeal.

I disagree completely. I think the error was in thinking that the church was less damaged by a cover up than it would have been by exposing this sin and expunging it. Every time they covered it up - they encouraged repeat offenses by the perp and by others as well. Everywhere the local episcopacy took a hard line on sexual abuse - sexual abuse was discouraged. The problems were all in areas where the local episcopacy took the active roll of covering up what happened that there have been serious problems.

AmPat
11-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I disagree completely. I think the error was in thinking that the church was less damaged by a cover up than it would have been by exposing this sin and expunging it. Every time they covered it up - they encouraged repeat offenses by the perp and by others as well. Everywhere the local episcopacy took a hard line on sexual abuse - sexual abuse was discouraged. The problems were all in areas where the local episcopacy took the active roll of covering up what happened that there have been serious problems.
I believe the problem is that they don't allow priests to marry. Something about accepting the infallibility of a man and making his dictates God's law.

Odysseus
11-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Actually, we do agree. The cover-up exacerbated the problem and ultimately made it worse, but the cover-up was motivated by the same PC mindset that assumed that all sexual orientations would produce the same behavior. In both cases, eternal truths were sublimated to wishful thinking.

PoliCon
11-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Actually, we do agree. The cover-up exacerbated the problem and ultimately made it worse, but the cover-up was motivated by the same PC mindset that assumed that all sexual orientations would produce the same behavior. In both cases, eternal truths were sublimated to wishful thinking.

Not at all. The cover up was motivated by the idea that such a scandal were it made public would damage people's faith and damage the church and thus damage the message of the church which in turn would damage Christ. There was no PC motivations at all involved. The problem came with watering down doctrine which reduced vocations and made it so the church had to basically accept all comers regardless of their convictions or their suitability. Combine that with temptation, lack of support, and congregations that were trained to be unquestioning and blindly obedient - and well we have the results.

Odysseus
11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Not at all. The cover up was motivated by the idea that such a scandal were it made public would damage people's faith and damage the church and thus damage the message of the church which in turn would damage Christ. There was no PC motivations at all involved. The problem came with watering down doctrine which reduced vocations and made it so the church had to basically accept all comers regardless of their convictions or their suitability. Combine that with temptation, lack of support, and congregations that were trained to be unquestioning and blindly obedient - and well we have the results.

I stand corrected.