PDA

View Full Version : House Dems Press GOP To Abandon Their Federal Health Benefits

Carol
11-19-2010, 10:31 AM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9589741)

ProSense Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 10:23 AM
Original message
House Dems Press GOP To Abandon Their Federal Health Benefits

House Dems Press GOP To Abandon Their Federal Health Benefits
Brian Beutler

House Democrats are exploiting an embarrassing moment for the GOP earlier this week to highlight the hypocrisy of Republicans' relentless opposition to health care reform.

Four members -- Joe Crowley (NY), Linda Sanchez (CA), Donna Edwards (MD), and Tim Ryan (OH) -- are rounding up signatures for a letter to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Speaker-to-be John Boehner, encouraging them to press their members to refuse their federal health benefits based on the same principles underlying their opposition to health care reform.

"It is amazing that your members would complain about not having health care coverage for a few weeks, even after campaigning to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which will help provide coverage to millions of Americans who find themselves without health insurance for months or even years," the letter reads. "It begs the question: how many members of the Republican conference will be forgoing the employer-subsidized FEHBP coverage and experiencing what so many Americans find themselves forced to face? If your conference wants to deny millions of Americans affordable health care, your members should walk that walk."

Gosh, I like this kind of idea. I think Republicans should press the Democrats to quit giving themselves superior health care and ACCEPT OBAMACARE that they have subjected the rest of us to.

The Democrats can put up or shut up.

Wei Wu Wei
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Congressmen have access to a health care exchange with several options (including, I believe, although I may be wrong on this point, a Public Option).

The whole plan from the start was to give every American the same quality care that they have access to.

Milly
11-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Great idea, Carol!

Actually, the whole thing is a false analogy, though. I consider Congress's health care benefits the same way I consider mine - as a benefit of my job, paid for by my company. They just happen to work for the government.

lacarnut
11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
If the Democrats want to play Freddie f... around in Congress, let's start with a reduction in pay, reduction in staff, reduction in office expenditures and limit travel junkets. It is time for them to tighten their belts. Plus, put all Congressional critters and Federal employees under Obamacare.

Carol
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Actually, the whole thing is a false analogy, though. I consider Congress's health care benefits the same way I consider mine - as a benefit of my job, paid for by my company. They just happen to work for the government.So do I...........but it is true that the Democrat pols voted for most of the rest of us to eventually have no choice but to have Obamacare, but they exempted themselves from it.

THAT is what I am talking about. OBAMACARE, not simply health care as it is today.

Carol
11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
The whole plan from the start was to give every American the same quality care that they have access to

Are you truly so dense that you believe that everyone on Obamacare is going to have the same quality care that congress has?

If that is the case then why did the Democrats vote to exempt themselves from Obamacare? If everyone was going to have the same quality that they have then there was no reason to exempt themselves....but they knew better......and so they exempted themselves.

Wei Wu Wei
11-19-2010, 12:23 PM
What is Obamacare?

AmPat
11-19-2010, 12:44 PM
What is Obamacare?

There are many ways to demonstrate stupidity, this idiotic question is one of those.:cool:

Dan D. Doty
11-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Are you truly so dense that you believe that everyone on Obamacare is going to have the same quality care that congress has?

If that is the case then why did the Democrats vote to exempt themselves from Obamacare? If everyone was going to have the same quality that they have then there was no reason to exempt themselves....but they knew better......and so they exempted themselves.

Ditto.

lacarnut
11-19-2010, 02:31 PM
What is Obamacare?

Medicaid for you!

PoliCon
11-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Congressmen have access to a health care exchange with several options (including, I believe, although I may be wrong on this point, a Public Option).

The whole plan from the start was to give every American the same quality care that they have access to.

bullshit.

Madisonian
11-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Actually, this is a good idea.
With very few exceptions, all federal employees should have to pay for their own health insurance.
It is bad enough I have to pay TSA, FDA, HUD, DOE, etc., etc. to screw me, I should not have to be forced to pay for the condom.

If they don't like it, they can get a job in the private sector and actually produce something that contributes to the GDP instead.

Odysseus
11-19-2010, 07:20 PM

And yet, congress specifically exempted themselves and their staffs from the plan. If there were no difference, why not line up with the rest of us?

link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9589741)

Gosh, I like this kind of idea. I think Republicans should press the Democrats to quit giving themselves superior health care and ACCEPT OBAMACARE that they have subjected the rest of us to.

The Democrats can put up or shut up.

I agree. The first Republican amendment to the bill (assuming that repeal will not pass until Obama is out of office or Republicans hold a supermajority in the senate) should be to correct the congressional exemption to Obamacare. A house bill that required all federal employees to line up under Obamacare would embarass the Democrats who would vote against it or try to lock it up in the senate. And if it did somehow pass, imagine Obama's reaction when he would be asked if he was going to sign it.

PoliCon
11-19-2010, 07:56 PM
And yet, congress specifically exempted themselves and their staffs from the plan. If there were no difference, why not line up with the rest of us?

I agree. The first Republican amendment to the bill (assuming that repeal will not pass until Obama is out of office or Republicans hold a supermajority in the senate) should be to correct the congressional exemption to Obamacare. A house bill that required all federal employees to line up under Obamacare would embarass the Democrats who would vote against it or try to lock it up in the senate. And if it did somehow pass, imagine Obama's reaction when he would be asked if he was going to sign it.

they should end ALL exemptions and waivers - ESPECIALLY those for any unions.

AmPat
11-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I'd take it a step further. These thugs should show their good faith by signing up their families first. Michelle should take her thunder thighs and her two children right to the head of the line. After all, this is such great health care insurance, surely it must be good enough for the O Blah Blah children.

Odysseus
11-20-2010, 01:52 AM
they should end ALL exemptions and waivers - ESPECIALLY those for any unions.

Exactly. In fact, I propose a new amendment:

Congress shall make no law to which its members are not subject.

marv
11-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Actually, this is a good idea.
With very few exceptions, all federal employees should have to pay for their own health insurance.
It is bad enough I have to pay TSA, FDA, HUD, DOE, etc., etc. to screw me, I should not have to be forced to pay for the condom.

If they don't like it, they can get a job in the private sector and actually produce something that contributes to the GDP instead.
As a Federal employee I shared in the cost of my health insurance through FEHB, not unlike private employment. Now that I'm retired, I pay the full premium. I just got a notice that it's going up by 24.3% for my particular plan.

PoliCon
11-20-2010, 10:38 AM
As a Federal employee I shared in the cost of my health insurance through FEHB, not unlike private employment. Now that I'm retired, I pay the full premium. I just got a notice that it's going up by 24.3% for my particular plan.

Be sure to thank Barry, Nancy, Harry, and the dems.

Wei Wu Wei
11-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Which plan? I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to here I may not have seen it, could you provide a link or background info?

What is Obamacare?!

Everyone keeps talking about Obamacare as if it's a separately existing health care insurance plan. Or maybe I'm not understanding the use of your catchphrases. The health care bill doesn't create a public health insurance option and it doesn't create a single-payer system. It does require that everyone purchase health insurance but everyone in congress already has health insurance so how or why would they exempt themselves from it? More importantly, what is it that you believe they are exempting themselves from?

I'm looking at the bill right now please explain

m00
11-20-2010, 12:49 PM
So basically the government robs everyone by default, but if you area member of certain "protected" groups you can get an exemption from being robbed. But only if you throw your support behind government in terms of donations or votes.

Wei Wu Wei
11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Here this should make it easy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act#Provisi ons

This has the main provisions and when they come into effect.

Odysseus
11-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Which plan? I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to here I may not have seen it, could you provide a link or background info?

What is Obamacare?!

Everyone keeps talking about Obamacare as if it's a separately existing health care insurance plan. Or maybe I'm not understanding the use of your catchphrases. The health care bill doesn't create a public health insurance option and it doesn't create a single-payer system. It does require that everyone purchase health insurance but everyone in congress already has health insurance so how or why would they exempt themselves from it? More importantly, what is it that you believe they are exempting themselves from?

I'm looking at the bill right now please explain

Pretending to be stupid doesn't get you any points, Wei, especially since your actual stupidity is well documented.

If you are reading the plan, then you know what we're talking about. If you aren't, then go read it.