PDA

View Full Version : DUmmy duplicity on parade

Adam Wood
11-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Remember how it was a great big violation of Keef Moonbatmann's First Amendment rights (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4602301) when he got spanked by management? Just in case, a refresher:

JDPriestly (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 04:01 PM
Response to Reply #67
283. It would be ironic if the Court found not only that corporations have the right to donate money

to candidates and support candidates (Citizens United) but also determined that the corporation has the right to control whether or not an employee exercises his or her First Amendment right by donating to candidates.

That obliterates our democracy and finally and definitely means that it is a corporatocracy.
JDPriestly (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 03:55 PM
Response to Reply #28
274. Employers are private citizens. This could be an interesting lawsuit

in my opinion. If donating money to a political campaign is an expression of free speech. If corporations have the free speech right of humans, do corporations have the right to curtail the free speech rights of their non-lawyer employees beyond confidentiality agreements?

This is not an entirely new issue, but I'd like to see the arguments on both sides of this and watch how the Court would come down on the issue in the wake of Citizens United.

Could it be possible that a corporation could be found to have a First Amendment right not only to donate money but to control whether its employees could donate money?

Wow! That would set our democracy into a tailspin.
Demeter (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:33 PM
Response to Reply #80
92. Sounds like an open-and-shut First Amendmanet Case to Me

What were they thinking? They don't like being in business?

Liberty Belle (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 04:19 PM
Response to Original message
311. Keith should sue as a test case on 1st Amendment grounds.

If corporations and Chambers of Commerce can make unlimited campaign donations as "free speech", which our Supreme Court has ruled, how can a journalist not be accorded the same right?

It should be disclosed if one holds oneself out to be nonpartisan (though Olberman is clearly a liberal voicing his opinions clearly on his show.)

I am a journalist and editor. I believe strongly that reporters should have the right to contribute to any cause that they see fit. I work with a nonpartisan news site. I am very careful to not have my reporting on our site reflect my personal views (and if anything may bend over backward to be fair to candidates I find repulsive.) I personally refrain from contributions in races that I cover to avoid the appearance of bias. I cover local news, so I have made contributions to national candidates and causes.

No one is more informed than journalists about candidates running for office -- we interview them, research them, do background checks on them, and so forth.

Some journalism professional groups believe it is unethical for a journalist to participate in politics in any fashion -- such as running for office, being a political club member or even registering with a political party. I disagree.

We should not be barred from participating in our democracy. Now I would not assign a beat reporter to say, join the campaign bus for a presidential candidate if they support his opponent. I keep tabs on my writers to make sure no biases are apparent, as an editor should do. But I would never dream of telling them who they can support on their own time. I believe that is unconstitutional.
julian09 (89 posts) Fri Nov-05-10 04:29 PM
Response to Reply #311
322. He doesn't need permission from Phil Griffon

to exorcise his right, did Phil donate to any one?
What if Phil wanted the opponent to win; WOULD HE HAVE SAID YES?
Are rules infringing your rights legal?
curiousdemo (510 posts) Fri Nov-05-10 02:36 PM
Response to Reply #1
107. This is Bull Shit!!!

Edited on Fri Nov-05-10 02:39 PM by curiousdemo
I nominally don't use that kind of language, but this man constitutional right are being violated by this bozo Griffin guy. I'm sending email right now. I'm sure Fox News is laughing their ass off. They gave over a million dollars to the Republican Party and not a whence form the media. This is insane!
mbperrin (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-05-10 07:18 PM
Response to Reply #23
459. No, they don't have such a policy. They require prior approval of

Edited on Fri Nov-05-10 07:19 PM by mbperrin
donations, an unconstitutional chilling of the right to support the political candidates of your choice. It's a type of prior restraint, never legal.

And that's just a sample. Note also that these delusional fools actually think that their online petition is what caused BSNBC to return Moonbatmann to the air.

Well, when the shoe's on the other foot (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9590968)....

gkhouston (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 01:47 PM
5. Can we refrain from complaining to MSNBC about this? Pretty please?

I think Joe should feel our love.

gratuitous (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 01:49 PM
9. Oh just wait until the public outpouring of support hits

Pig-eyed Joe will be restored to his previous position in no time!

Ooh listen: Crickets!
unblock (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 01:52 PM
11. see, fair and balanced, equal treatment of right and left!

nevermind that keith had the threat of a permanent firing and needed to muster massive popular support in order to save his job, whereas joe scab knows in advance that it's only for 2 days.

polichick (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 01:53 PM
13. I'd love it if he never returned to the network - that show needs two new hosts...

...and new sidekicks too.
Lucian (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 02:18 PM
23. I wonder how many people will sign a petition to get him back on the air...

vs Keith Olbermann.

I'm betting not nearly as many.

Well, you are right about that, Lucian. Conservatives, in general, are not so fucking stupid as to actually believe that some idiotic online petition will make some sort of difference.

And there's more delusions (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9591045):

valerief (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 01:54 PM
2. How many hundreds of thousands will come to his defense? Bwahahahaha!

And, predictably, it was "suppression of free speech" when it was Keef. Scarborough? Suppress away! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9591159)

mfcorey1 (634 posts) Fri Nov-19-10 02:04 PM
Original message
CAll MSNBC and tell them to never bring Joe Scar's Moaning Joe back on the air. nt

And more delusions of grandeur, of course:

Kalyke (1000+ posts) Fri Nov-19-10 02:23 PM
6. Has anyone started a petition asking to reinstate him?

I heard in another thread it was at www.ikilledaninternpleasereinstateme dot com

I'm guessing the out-pouring of support for Joe will morph the demand for New Coke.

I suspect there will be more of this as the afternoon goes on.

NJCardFan
11-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Isn't it funny how they all come to Olbermann's defense yet they were all on board when Juan Williams got fired from NPR.

Madisonian
11-19-2010, 08:18 PM
"Four legs good, two legs better"

PoliCon
11-19-2010, 10:22 PM
The hypocrisy of the left knows no bounds. I'm always amused by the cognitive dissonance that is required to be a leftist - and this is a prime example. lol