PDA

View Full Version : "First Chinese Aircraft Carrier Built On Old Russian Hull ! "

megimoo
11-20-2010, 02:20 PM
First Chinese aircraft carrier nears completion

Chinese are building Shi Lang(ex- Varyag, project 1143.6) Carrier

CHINA'S first aircraft carrier, built on the hull of an abandoned Soviet warship, is nearing completion, according to Western analysts.

The arrival of China as a member of the carrier club would be the most potent symbol of the country's burgeoning military power, even if its first model is based on a rehashed version of a warship that was never finished by its original owners. The Soviet Union collapsed before work could be completed.

The Varyag is expected to make its maiden voyage next year or 2012. "Photos regularly reveal an increasing tempo of work on the Varyag," Richard Fisher, an authority on the Chinese military at the International Assessment and Strategy Centre in Alexandria, Virginia, said yesterday.

"The island (control tower) is being much modified and a new Chinese radar system has been installed. We know little about its engine but it appears work has been proceeding on that as

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/first-chinese-aircraft-carrier-nears-completion/story-e6frg6so-1225956776506

Bailey
11-20-2010, 02:27 PM
lol ya that'll be fun watching that get torpedoed or shot with a hundred anti ship missles or shot up with Hornets etc etc etc.

More then just building it, you need to know how to man it as well i.e. damage control, flight operations etc. Not worried in the least.

Starbuck
11-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I am not a believer in China's long term success. I think their one party system will stall out at some point, and - not surprisingly - I think this event substantiates my own view.

The US and others were converting old hulls to new aircraft carriers before and during WWII. Since then, the need for totally new construction has been recognized and expressed with stunningly successful results beginning in the 60's when Enterprise, the first CV(N) ( the (N) means it's nuclear powered), was launched.
Currently the US has 11 carriers in service. China, when it launches its carrier, will join with governments like Russia, India, and Brazil, who each have 1, and will lag behind Spain, which has 2.

I ain't worried. China is a paper tiger, just like the Soviet Union was. They might as well build an inflatable ship and put it on display like we did with tanks prior to the invasion at Normandy.

PoliCon
11-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I am not a believer in China's long term success. I think their one party system will stall out at some point, and - not surprisingly - I think this event substantiates my own view.

The US and others were converting old hulls to new aircraft carriers before and during WWII. Since then, the need for totally new construction has been recognized and expressed with stunningly successful results beginning in the 60's when Enterprise, the first CV(N) ( the (N) means it's nuclear powered), was launched.
Currently the US has 11 carriers in service. China, when it launches its carrier, will join with governments like Russia, India, and Brazil, who each have 1, and will lag behind Spain, which has 2.

I ain't worried. China is a paper tiger, just like the Soviet Union was. They might as well build an inflatable ship and put it on display like we did with tanks prior to the invasion at Normandy.

I am. They have thousands of years of history of success and quite frankly they do not think the way that we do so their one party system does not affect them the same way it would us. Discounting China is akin to the Roman's discounting the Goths. A potentially fatal mistake.

Starbuck
11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I am. They have thousands of years of history of success and quite frankly they do not think the way that we do so their one party system does not affect them the same way it would us. Discounting China is akin to the Roman's discounting the Goths. A potentially fatal mistake.
Thousand of years of history, yes. But success? They survived. That's all.

Look at it another way....The US gave them thousands of years head start and our economy is 4 times what theirs is. They have just now caught up to Japan, which has been stagnant for 10 years, in terms of GDP.

The press hypes China. Politicians foster hysteria about China. History will reveal itself, at any rate.

My niece and her husband live in Beijing. They can't even find an interpreter. Takes 2 hours to go 10 miles to work every day. Can only drive on certain days. It's a mess. China has opted for growth at any cost - and it's going to cost plenty.

PoliCon
11-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Look at it another way....The US gave them thousands of years head start and our economy is 4 times what theirs is. They have just now caught up to Japan, which has been stagnant for 10 years, in terms of GDP.

The press hypes China. Politicians foster hysteria about China. History will reveal itself, at any rate.

My niece and her husband live in Beijing. They can't even find an interpreter. Takes 2 hours to go 10 miles to work every day. Can only drive on certain days. It's a mess. China has opted for growth at any cost - and it's going to cost plenty.

Do you seriously think they count success as GDP? Again, they do not - stress NOT - think like we do. They have a totally different outlook on life and what constitutes success is not what we see as success.

fettpett
11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
No they don't think and act like the rest of the world...however I don't know if they know how to act on a wold stage. The one and only time that the Chinese ventured on to the world stage prior to the current regime they packed up and went home and closed themselves up to the outside world

Odysseus
11-21-2010, 04:54 PM

You're both right, and wrong. China is emerging as a regional hegemon, and one of the things that is driving it is the inherent instability of its regime, which must continue to produce prosperity and tap into nationalism in order to remain in power. China has some unique advantages, in that it is mostly a homogeneous civilization (albeit with pockets of restive minorities) that shares many common outlooks and cultural imperatives. That would tend to promote internal stability, but it can't right now, because of the last half-century of upheavals. In a few generations, China has gone from the largest, but weakest power in Asia to the strongest, and from the most backward agricultural economy to an extremely aggressive industrial one. Imagine undergoing the entire Industrial Revolution in a few decades, and throwing in the violence of Mao's regime. Tens of millions of workers have been displaced from farms to cities in the recent boom, where their work has become tenuous (the global recession is killing their exports), and the one-child policy has created an uneven population in which surplus single males must be kept occupied. These create a potential collision course as economic upheaval and surplus, frustrated manpower combine in a state with a high degree of cultural confidence. It would take very little effort for a Chinese government to use nationalist demagoguery to deal with a populist economic uprising, and when that happens, watch out. Stable powers aren't as much of a threat as unstable ones, and China, for all of its dynamism, is highly unstable.

The aircraft carrier is a major factor in China's increased capacity to project power, and their long range planning puts us in an adversarial position. Combined with the issues cited above, this makes China very dangerous to us. This is not something to dismiss.

ironhorsedriver
11-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Be interesting to see what type of A/C they fly from her.

djones520
11-21-2010, 08:08 PM

They survived, and remain one of the worlds power houses. What happened to Egypt, Greece, and Rome? Yeah...

And the aircraft carrier was hardly built on an "abandoned" hull. They bought it from Russia for 75 million. Not like they just found it adrift as sea.

They are also expected to have 2 more aircraft carriers of the same tonnage, about half the size of ours, by 2015 I believe.

Bailey
11-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Probably some variant of the MIG - 29 that's what the Russians planned to use.

djones520
11-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Shenyang J-15. Home built carrier aircraft. Still in development. It's the Chinese version of the SU-33.