PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble With TSA's Tactics

megimoo
11-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Blogger Matt Drudge captured the sentiments of many Americans with a picture of an elderly Roman Catholic nun being poked and prodded by a Transportation Security Administration employee at a U.S. airport. The caption, in bold type, read: "The terrorists have won."

Led by agitators and sober commentators alike, the public is distressed and angered by the TSA's new procedures, implemented just in time for the Thanksgiving rush. They include imaging that essentially reveals nude portraits of those who pass through the scanners, and highly intrusive pat-downs.

It is understandable and even praiseworthy that the TSA has stepped up its inspections. Within the past year, a terrorist managed to board a passenger plane bound for Detroit with a bomb sewn into his underwear and would have downed the plane if other passengers hadn't stopped him from detonating the device. Last month, a bomb concealed in an ordinary printer cartridge was placed aboard a cargo jet, apparently with the intent of detonating it over a U.S. city. Reports and rumors of further attacks are rampant in the United States and Europe.

But the agency is leaving itself open to all sorts of unintended consequences, including some that have the potential to be just as lethal as any terrorist bomb.

Given the choice, actors, musicians, athletes, political leaders and other famous people assuredly will fly in private jets to avoid the screening process. If you're concerned about global-warming gases produced by unnecessary private flights, blame the TSA, not the celebrities who are only concerned about protecting their privacy.

Ordinary Americans will have choices, too. They may suck it up and surrender their dignity when confronted with travel between New York and San Francisco, but for shorter trips, many will take to their private automobiles for the express purpose of avoiding intrusive body scans and gropings. Since driving is significantly more dangerous than flying, some will die in crashes.

The TSA may also fuel a boomlet for Amtrak and bus lines while endangering the fragile financial health of the airlines.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2010/11/20/opinion/521961.txt

Madisonian
11-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Also in the unintended consequences department, as more people do not fly because they are tired of the TSA bullshit and decide on alternative ground methods, gas stations, hotels, restaurants and other similar businesses will see increased revenues from the land bound travelers.

People will learn that there are others just like them in the now "fly over' country. Expect places like Vegas and "fly to" theme parks, amusement areas and cruise lines to see a decline in customers as people give up flying from Michigan to Florida or California and stay closer to home and spend their money locally.

m00
11-20-2010, 10:26 PM
What will be funny is when the abysmal sales of the Airline industry will be blamed on everything else, and taxpayer money is used to bail it out. Did I say funny? I meant insane.

Rockntractor
11-20-2010, 10:30 PM
If they bring down the airline industry I'm sure the government will jump right in to bail them out and gain complete control of them just like GM.
The next thing you know we will be flying in an electric airplane with a 50 mile range.

Madisonian
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
What will be funny is when the abysmal sales of the Airline industry will be blamed on everything else, and taxpayer money is used to bail it out. Did I say funny? I meant insane.

WTF are you talking about?
The airline industry is already the most heavily subsidized industry in the country.
They don't pay for the airports, the security, the ATC and a host of other infrastructure costs.
We have been bailing them out since their inception.

Rockntractor
11-20-2010, 10:36 PM
The airline industry is already the most heavily subsidized industry in the country.
They don't pay for the airports, the security, the ATC and a host of other infrastructure costs.
I thought about that after I posted what I did above, what is left that they don't control!

m00
11-20-2010, 10:38 PM

More than the auto industry?

Airlines are still currently (as far as I know) consider Corporations, and publicly traded companies.

Madisonian
11-20-2010, 11:00 PM
More than the auto industry?

Airlines are still currently (as far as I know) consider Corporations, and publicly traded companies.

The auto industry only wishes it could get what the airlines do.
Here are just a few links...
http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001001.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/06/business/06boonies.html
http://www.bnet.com/blog/airline-business/dumbest-cities-to-receive-federal-airline-service-subsidies/1547

Just google Federal Airline Subsidies. You will be amazed.

PoliCon
11-20-2010, 11:02 PM
You do know that they have already caught terrorists dressed as Nuns in Iraq - right?

Rockntractor
11-20-2010, 11:03 PM
You do know that they have already caught terrorists dressed as Nuns in Iraq - right?
I hadn't heard that.:confused:

Madisonian
11-20-2010, 11:05 PM

But Nuns dressed as terrorists could walk right through in the US lest it be considered profiling.

PoliCon
11-20-2010, 11:10 PM
But Nuns dressed as terrorists could walk right through in the US lest it be considered profiling.

a point that I bring up to my friend who works for the TSA all the time.

PoliCon
11-20-2010, 11:11 PM
I hadn't heard that.:confused:

Because a lot of what they do to keep us safe is kept classified.

m00
11-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey, I heard they caught terrorists trying to use freedom and liberty to commit terrorist acts. Gotta start regulating those more carefully.

Rockntractor
11-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Hey, I heard they caught terrorists trying to use freedom and liberty to commit terrorist acts. Gotta start regulating those more carefully.

:confused:

Madisonian
11-21-2010, 12:07 AM
And then shit like this happens.

TSA Assholes cause urine spill (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40291856/ns/travel-news/?GT1=43001)

Yeah, these semen suckers make me feel sooooo much safer.
If they did actually find an explosive device, they would probably piss their own pants and let the bastard board before they would take a chance they might get hurt.

NJCardFan
11-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Once again they shit all over someone's dignity to stroke their own egos.

linda22003
11-21-2010, 06:29 AM

Friends of mine who went to Catholic schools as children would say that nuns ARE terrorists.

Wei Wu Wei
11-21-2010, 09:29 AM
http://imgur.com/f0e1V.jpg

BadCat
11-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Geez WeeWeedick..why are you not applauding the "hard line on man caused disasters" being taken by your messiah?