PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis tops list of most dangerous US cities

megimoo
11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
St. Louis tops list of most dangerous US cities

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hjbTudvgLq379jbYawS7w_WOFUjA?docId=22c9981f4 ca34807ba7ac8dc07726067

PoliCon
11-21-2010, 11:12 PM
St. Louis tops list of most dangerous US cities

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hjbTudvgLq379jbYawS7w_WOFUjA?docId=22c9981f4 ca34807ba7ac8dc07726067

and how many on this list have been run by democrats almost exclusively for 50 years or more?

1. St. Louis, MO - last republican Mayor elected: 1949
2. Camden, NJ
3. Detroit, MI - 1961
4. Flint, MI
5. Oakland, CA - 1905
6. Richmond, CA
7. Cleveland, OH - 1989
8. Compton, CA -1963
9. Gary, IN - 1943
10. Birmingham, AL
11. Baltimore, MD - one since 1947
12. Memphis, TN
13. New Orleans, LA - 1872
14. Jackson, MS
15. Little Rock, AR
16. Baton Rouge, LA
17. Buffalo, NY - 1954
18. New Haven, CT
19. Hartford, CT - one since 1947
20. Dayton, OH
21. Kansas City, MO - one since 1930
22. Washington, DC - never a republican mayor
23. Newark, NJ - 1907
24. Cincinnati, OH - 1984
25. Atlanta, GA - 1879

http://gawker.com/5695776/the-25-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us-are-mostly-nice-places

Odysseus
11-21-2010, 11:57 PM
and how many on this list have been run by democrats almost exclusively for 50 years or more?

1. St. Louis, MO - last republican Mayor elected: 1949
2. Camden, NJ
3. Detroit, MI - 1961
4. Flint, MI
5. Oakland, CA - 1905
6. Richmond, CA
7. Cleveland, OH - 1989
8. Compton, CA -1963
9. Gary, IN - 1943
10. Birmingham, AL
11. Baltimore, MD - one since 1947
12. Memphis, TN
13. New Orleans, LA - 1872
14. Jackson, MS
15. Little Rock, AR
16. Baton Rouge, LA
17. Buffalo, NY - 1954
18. New Haven, CT
19. Hartford, CT - one since 1947
20. Dayton, OH
21. Kansas City, MO - one since 1930
22. Washington, DC - never a republican mayor
23. Newark, NJ - 1907
24. Cincinnati, OH - 1984
25. Atlanta, GA - 1879

http://gawker.com/5695776/the-25-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us-are-mostly-nice-places

Are there any that haven't been? Seriously, that's an amazing indictment of Democratic leadership at the local level, and let's remember that the mayor of one of those cities, Oakland, just became the Governor of California for the second time. At least the passengers on the Titanic didn't vote to hit the iceberg.

NJCardFan
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
For those who don't know Camden, it isn't exactly a big city like Detroit or St. Louis. There's only about 79,000 people living in Camden and it is the biggest shithole I've ever been in. And to think that they thought it was a good idea to put a minor league baseball stadium, aquarium, and an amphitheater there. The only apropos thing they built there was a prison but that closed in 2008. And since this is a PC world, I guess I'm not allowed to bring up the elephant in the room about these cities.

noonwitch
11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
We're number 3!
We're number 3!

Go Detroit!

It's a higher ranking than our NFL team will ever have!

bijou
11-22-2010, 11:20 AM
We're number 3!
We're number 3!

Go Detroit!

More business for social workers! :D

Odysseus
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
For those who don't know Camden, it isn't exactly a big city like Detroit or St. Louis. There's only about 79,000 people living in Camden and it is the biggest shithole I've ever been in. And to think that they thought it was a good idea to put a minor league baseball stadium, aquarium, and an amphitheater there. The only apropos thing they built there was a prison but that closed in 2008. And since this is a PC world, I guess I'm not allowed to bring up the elephant in the room about these cities.

I used to date a girl whose mom lived in Camden, and we visited a couple of times. She was in the "safe" part (to the extent that there is such a thing) but it was a truly scary-looking pit, and that's compared to Baghdad. I certainly wouldn't go back without body armor and an MRAP.

PoliCon
11-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I used to date a girl whose mom lived in Camden, and we visited a couple of times. She was in the "safe" part (to the extent that there is such a thing) but it was a truly scary-looking pit, and that's compared to Baghdad. I certainly wouldn't go back without body armor and an MRAP.

Camden was one of the cities I could not find a info on when their last republican Mayor was. I'm betting it's been at least since the 1940s . . . .

Odysseus
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Camden was one of the cities I could not find a info on when their last republican Mayor was. I'm betting it's been at least since the 1940s . . . .

I wouldn't be surprised. What does continue to surprise me (or perhaps "apall" is a better word) is the degree of failure that liberals will ignore, excuse or just plain deny in pursuing the same policies over and over. Each of the cities on the list is a monument to Democratic Party governance, and each of them would qualify for foreign aid as failed states if they were outside of our borders. The only difference between Detroit and Zimbabwe is that Detroit can't print its own currency, and Camden's only advantage over Mogadishu is proximity to Philadelphia, which isn't much better, but at least has great cheesesteaks. How anybody can look at these cities and continue to vote for Democrats is beyond me.

NJCardFan
11-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Can you imagine being a cop in Camden? They couldn't pay me enough.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
We're number 3!
We're number 3!

Go Detroit!

HEY! The Lions are going to the Super Bowl !!!! :mad:

Odysseus
11-22-2010, 09:02 PM

They might be. I'm sure that even a team that's got a .200 PCT gets a discount on Super Bowl tickets.

djones520
11-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Got that wrong. Red Wings are going to the Cup. :D Their the only team Detroit can really rely on.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Got that wrong. Red Wings are going to the Cup. :D Their the only team Detroit can really rely on.

I did NOT say when.

CueSi
11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
We're number 3!
We're number 3!

Go Detroit!

Oh dear God, I laughed so hard. This made me love you in a platonic , "let's-ditch-this-boring-sales-meeting-and-go-shopping" way.

~QC

Odysseus
11-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Oh dear God, I laughed so hard. This made me love you in a platonic , "let's-ditch-this-boring-sales-meeting-and-go-shopping" way.

~QC

That platonic thing will last until you two get into the dressing room of Victoria's Secret... :p

CueSi
11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
That platonic thing will last until you two get into the dressing room of Victoria's Secret... :p

Naw. I only go shoe shopping with straight women. And Vickie's only lets one in at a time.

~QC

Odysseus
11-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Naw. I only go shoe shopping with straight women. And Vickie's only lets one in at a time.

~QC

Why do I get the feeling that you have put that to the test? ;)

megimoo
11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Just two blocks from Seton Hall University in South Orange N.J. the Newark war zone starts.It looks like Beirut Lebanon after the 2006 War.Every building missing windows from the second story up.If you stop your car even for a moment best have the windows up and foot on the gas pedal.

Bailey
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM

My dad grew up there in the 40's and 50's and he told me stories like being able to leave your door open at night :eek:

Odysseus
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
My dad grew up there in the 40's and 50's and he told me stories like being able to leave your door open at night :eek:

My dad grew up in Brooklyn, and his neighborhood, East New York, was the same way. Now, it's a complete slum. You can thank rent control and welfare for a lot of that. As wages rose and rents didn't, middle class housing became cheap enough to be accessable to welfare recipients, who would then drive out the working families.

More of the effects of Democratic politics masquerading as policies.

Bailey
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM
My dad grew up in Brooklyn, and his neighborhood, East New York, was the same way. Now, it's a complete slum. You can thank rent control and welfare for a lot of that. As wages rose and rents didn't, middle class housing became cheap enough to be accessable to welfare recipients, who would then drive out the working families.

More of the effects of Democratic politics masquerading as policies.

Don't forget white flight started when the welfare bums moved into camden. i have to admit they fixed up the waterfront, the BB New jersey is always a fun trip. The ride to the waterfront is fixed up but the test of the city can be nuked for all I care.

Odysseus
11-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Don't forget white flight started when the welfare bums moved into camden. i have to admit they fixed up the waterfront, the BB New jersey is always a fun trip. The ride to the waterfront is fixed up but the test of the city can be nuked for all I care.

It looks like it's already been nuked.

NJCardFan
11-23-2010, 11:04 PM

They closed down one of the biggest employers in Camden and that was Riverfront State Prison. It was the 3rd newest prison in NJ and the land was sold to a private developer. So, basically the city of Camden had a perfectly good prison closed down to sell the land to a private developer. Well, the sale ended up falling through and Riverfront, like a said, a pretty new prison, is closed down costing a lot of jobs and misplacing a lot of employees(the criteria to being hired for Riverfront you had to live in Camden).

SaintLouieWoman
11-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Can you imagine being a cop in Camden? They couldn't pay me enough.

Ditto with the cops in St Louis. They were my top account before I moved to Sarasota. I really liked the folks there and still talk to some of the folks in purchasing on occasion.

Erica Van Ross, the PR person in the StLPD, was one of my customers.

Most of the people in the metropolitan area of St Louis live in the "county", not the "city" of St Louis. I'm just glad that I left that job alive. I used to go to some very dangerous areas. My angel was watching over me all those years. A year ago I almost got carjacked. I guess some of the guys waiting outside the Marshall's office thought that my BMW looked tempting. I moved really quickly and rocketed away from them. But I was pushing my luck and glad to not be doing that anymore.

SaintLouieWoman
11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Just two blocks from Seton Hall University in South Orange N.J. the Newark war zone starts.It looks like Beirut Lebanon after the 2006 War.Every building missing windows from the second story up.If you stop your car even for a moment best have the windows up and foot on the gas pedal.

My office was in the CITY of St Louis. There had been bullet holes in the window not far from where I sat. The sales reps thought it was status to have a window view. Because of my seniority I had a corner "office" or cube by the window. I was always nervous sitting there. One day came in to the office and the large windows in the front of the building, by the stairs, were shot through. I just took the elevator, thought it was safer. :D

CueSi
11-24-2010, 01:31 AM
Why do I get the feeling that you have put that to the test? ;)

I will neither confirm nor deny any such event.

~QC

Bailey
11-24-2010, 06:49 AM
They closed down one of the biggest employers in Camden and that was Riverfront State Prison. It was the 3rd newest prison in NJ and the land was sold to a private developer. So, basically the city of Camden had a perfectly good prison closed down to sell the land to a private developer. Well, the sale ended up falling through and Riverfront, like a said, a pretty new prison, is closed down costing a lot of jobs and misplacing a lot of employees(the criteria to being hired for Riverfront you had to live in Camden).

I always wondered why they closed that place down, my dad worked with Verizon and installed phones in that prison.

NJCardFan
11-24-2010, 08:49 AM
I always wondered why they closed that place down, my dad worked with Verizon and installed phones in that prison.

Believe it or not, they wanted to build housing, you know, McMansions, on the waterfront. As if people were willing to buy homes in Camden. We have prisons that are falling apart in NJ(Trenton, Rahway, CRAF, Southern State) and yet they closed down a perfectly good prison like Riverfront, basically, for nothing. The problem with these cities is, if you don't control the gangs you'll never rebuild the city. And it's not the cops or government who need to control the gangs, it's the neighborhoods. And, I'm sorry to say, the black community needs to step this up.

Bailey
11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Believe it or not, they wanted to build housing, you know, McMansions, on the waterfront. As if people were willing to buy homes in Camden. We have prisons that are falling apart in NJ(Trenton, Rahway, CRAF, Southern State) and yet they closed down a perfectly good prison like Riverfront, basically, for nothing. The problem with these cities is, if you don't control the gangs you'll never rebuild the city. And it's not the cops or government who need to control the gangs, it's the neighborhoods. And, I'm sorry to say, the black community needs to step this up.

You're surprised that NJ wastes money? lol :D

I say we build a wall around camden (minus the water front) and let the savages kill each other.

SaintLouieWoman
11-24-2010, 12:06 PM
You're surprised that NJ wastes money? lol :D

I say we build a wall around camden (minus the water front) and let the savages kill each other.
It sounds like E St Louis, Illinois. They are true savages there. A lot of the crime in St Louis is from the folks from across the river (Mississippi) crossing that bridge and going on a crime spree. E St Louis looks like a bombed out city.

Most of the crime in St Louis is in the areas where you'd truly need an armored tank to emerge safely from the neighborhoods. The metro area outside the city itself is generally safe.

It's a shame because St Louis has so many beautiful attractions, from the Zoo to the Art Museum to the Missouri Botanical Garden, one of the tops in the US. Then there's the Arch, which is worth seeing.

Ask SR, he can tell you about his hometown, Bayonne, New Jersey, near that lovely Newark.

NJCardFan
11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
It sounds like E St Louis, Illinois. They are true savages there. A lot of the crime in St Louis is from the folks from across the river (Mississippi) crossing that bridge and going on a crime spree. E St Louis looks like a bombed out city.

Most of the crime in St Louis is in the areas where you'd truly need an armored tank to emerge safely from the neighborhoods. The metro area outside the city itself is generally safe.

It's a shame because St Louis has so many beautiful attractions, from the Zoo to the Art Museum to the Missouri Botanical Garden, one of the tops in the US. Then there's the Arch, which is worth seeing.

Ask SR, he can tell you about his hometown, Bayonne, New Jersey, near that lovely Newark.

I went to St. Louis back in '87 but we stayed at the Clarion because of it's proximity to the stadium. The city proper there was nice. We walked all around going to a mall there and even walked to the Arch.

PoliCon
11-28-2010, 11:11 AM

They should just close and remove the bridge to east st louis . . . .

djones520
11-28-2010, 09:45 PM
They should just close and remove the bridge to east st louis . . . .

Except I live on that side of the bridge.

PoliCon
11-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Well you'd better move then. :p

Odysseus
11-28-2010, 11:46 PM
No problem. You come back from MOB and hook up with an OWT tour.
You'll be fine after a year at FT Hood.

djones520
11-28-2010, 11:54 PM
No problem. You come back from MOB and hook up with an OWT tour.
You'll be fine after a year at FT Hood.

Hood? Isn't the surrounding area just as bad as E. St. Louis?

If I gotta do an Army tour it'll be Ft. Lewis.

noonwitch
11-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Anyone watch The Simpsons last night?

Homer and Bart made a joke about the Detroit Lions being a bad bet, and Moe said "Leave Detroit alone. They live in Mad Max times there".

Odysseus
11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Hood? Isn't the surrounding area just as bad as E. St. Louis?

If I gotta do an Army tour it'll be Ft. Lewis.
Killeen is not that bad, but by Texas standards, it sucks. It's a typical army town. Harker Heights and Temple are great, though. I was just at FT Lewis for an exercise and while the post is great, the cost of living out their is astronomical, and Washington State has some seriously high taxes.

Anyone watch The Simpsons last night?

Homer and Bart made a joke about the Detroit Lions being a bad bet, and Moe said "Leave Detroit alone. They live in Mad Max times there".

I read that line out loud in the DMOC a minute ago and got a big laugh. :D