PDA

View Full Version : Gore Admits Ethanol Was A Mistake

Apocalypse
11-22-2010, 11:21 AM
U.S. corn ethanol "was not a good policy"– Gore

By Gerard Wynn

ATHENS, Nov 22 (Reuters) – Former U.S. vice-president Al Gore said support for corn-based ethanol in the United States was "not a good policy", weeks before tax credits are up for renewal.

U.S. blending tax breaks for ethanol make it profitable for refiners to use the fuel even when it is more expensive than gasoline. The credits are up for renewal on Dec. 31.

Total U.S. ethanol subsidies reached $7.7 billion last year according to the International Energy Industry, which said biofuels worldwide received more subsidies than any other form of renewable energy.

"It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for (U.S.) first generation ethanol," said Gore, speaking at a green energy business conference in Athens sponsored by Marfin Popular Bank.

"First generation ethanol I think was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small.

"It’s hard once such a programme is put in place to deal with the lobbies that keep it going."

He explained his own support for the original programme on his presidential ambitions.

"One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president."

U.S. ethanol is made by extracting sugar from corn, an energy-intensive process. The U.S. ethanol industry will consume about 41 percent of the U.S. corn crop this year, or 15 percent of the global corn crop, according to Goldman Sachs analysts…

Gore said a range of factors had contributed to that food price crisis, including drought in Australia, but said there was no doubt biofuels have an effect.

"The size, the percentage of corn particularly, which is now being (used for) first generation ethanol definitely has an impact on food prices.

"The competition with food prices is real."
http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE6AL0YT20101122

So his backing was because he intended to run for Pres. and knew this would help secure Iowa. He also admits that it was totally incorrect and the benefits are not there. And then turns around and tries to blame the "Evil Lobbyist".

Rebel Yell
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
The problem with ethanol is that it deteriorates rubber hosing. Alot of 2 stroke engine flat out won't run on the 10% ethanol mix. Personally, I don't burn the shit in my vehicles unless I'm on empty and can't get to a station with "real" gasoline.

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Al Gores parents made a mistake having unprotected sex!

3rd-try
11-22-2010, 01:35 PM
So Gore states the obvious. I t must have killed him to actually say what his opponents have been saying for years.

lacarnut
11-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Now if he can only get religion with this global warming crap he keeps spouting off about.

Adam Wood
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Not only was he wrong (as he admits), but he's also either stupid or else admitting that he was bought off by the corn lobby. We don't really grow all that much corn here. Out of the 27 million acres in the state, only about 750,000 are planted for corn. We use a lot more land for soybean and tobacco production.

Madisonian
11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Read this as AlGoregasm invested heavily in the ethanol industry, as he has in the carbon credit racket, and lost his ass.

lacarnut
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Read this as AlGoregasm invested heavily in the ethanol industry, as he has in the carbon credit racket, and lost his ass.

The Ethanol racket has probably killed more poor people in 3rd world countries due to the higher costs of food, fertilizer, heavy water usage, poor crop rotation etc. than the 2 wars in the M.E. combined. Good going you greenie idiot.

m00
11-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Not only was he wrong (as he admits), but he's also either stupid or else admitting that he was bought off by the corn lobby. We don't really grow all that much corn here. Out of the 27 million acres in the state, only about 750,000 are planted for corn. We use a lot more land for soybean and tobacco production.

Oh man, imagine a car that runs off used cigarette butts.