PDA

View Full Version : Best Bourbon, Rye, or Whiskey for Hot Toddies?

Gingersnap
11-22-2010, 05:24 PM
And no, I don't care that sherry is also a traditional toddy base. I like sherry but that's not the point.

BadCat
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Bourbon - Makers Mark or Blanton's if you're feeling extravagant.

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Bourbon - Makers Mark or Blanton's if you're feeling extravagant.

If you're drinking it straight I used to use good bourbon, in a mixed drink I used a cheap to midrange.

Bubba Dawg
11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm not a big Bourbon drinker. I usually drink inexpensive hooch. Some of it is pretty good though.

For Bourbon I buy regular Jim Beam. I also like George Dickel but it is a Tennessee sippin' whisky. Similar taste and I don't know the difference between a Bourbon and a Tennessee whisky.

They both are good to me, I just prefer scotch.

Maker's Mark is the best Bourbon I've tasted.

Thor
11-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Bourbon can only be made in Kentucky. Sour Mash Whiskey can be made almost any place.

I prefer Evan Williams Single Barrel. It's not overly expensive and still has the high quality taste. I will admit, I'm loathe to use a decent whiskey and have it adulterated. Might as well just use some cheap old Jim Beam.

Gingersnap
11-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I went with Evan Williams but it lacked the curative properties I hoping for. :(

Rebel Yell
11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Bourbon = Southern Comfort

Gingersnap
11-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Bourbon = Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort is a liqueur. It's not just whiskey - there's a boatload of crap in there. I'm not knocking it but it's not just straight spirit.

Big Guy
11-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Jim Beam for me. I like my Kentucky Bourbon its good for Toddie's, mixers and straight.

noonwitch
11-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm a Southern Comfort girl, myself, but one of my friends swears by a shot of Jim Beam mixed with some fresh lemon juice and honey.

linda22003
11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned.... Rebel Yell. If you're going to heat it up anyway, it can be hooch.

Calypso Jones
11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
interesting. women don't usually like the darker alcohol.

Gingersnap
11-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned.... Rebel Yell. If you're going to heat it up anyway, it can be hooch.

It didn't work anyway. Well, the sore throat is gone but the disease itself is progressing. :(

Bubba Dawg
11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I went with Evan Williams but it lacked the curative properties I hoping for. :(

You didn't drink enough of it.

Peppermint Schnapps is good for a sore throat. Drink enough to get really schitt faced.

Bubba Dawg
11-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Rebel Yell is decent bourbon. Keith Richards is supposed to have been a fan of it.

He has very refined taste....

Bubba Dawg
11-23-2010, 06:20 PM
It didn't work anyway. Well, the sore throat is gone but the disease itself is progressing. :(

I hope you're not coming down with anything serious. It's amazing how many horrible diseases start out as just sniffles and a sore throat and wind up being some dreadfully painful and horrifyingly disfiguring life threatening disorders.

That's prolly not the case with you though. :)

Hey, I'm gonna watch The Stand tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAvTn3uz5w

BadCat
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not a big Bourbon drinker. I usually drink inexpensive hooch. Some of it is pretty good though.

For Bourbon I buy regular Jim Beam. I also like George Dickel but it is a Tennessee sippin' whisky. Similar taste and I don't know the difference between a Bourbon and a Tennessee whisky.

They both are good to me, I just prefer scotch.

Maker's Mark is the best Bourbon I've tasted.

George Dickel and Jack Daniels are "Tennessee Whiskey", the only two "Tennessee Whiskeys". To be a Tennessee Whiskey, it has to be made in Tennessee, of course, and it has to be filtered through sugar maple charcoal, which is what gives them that "sweet" taste.

Bubba Dawg
11-23-2010, 07:06 PM
George Dickel and Jack Daniels are "Tennessee Whiskey", the only two "Tennessee Whiskeys". To be a Tennessee Whiskey, it has to be made in Tennessee, of course, and it has to be filtered through sugar maple charcoal, which is what gives them that "sweet" taste.

Excellent. I like them both. I've never visited a distillery but I want to go the the Dickel Distillery if they do tours. (I visited a gift shop at a distillery but was too late for the tour.)

I seem to remember that you toured the Dickel or Daniels distillery.

BadCat
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Excellent. I like them both. I've never visited a distillery but I want to go the the Dickel Distillery if they do tours. (I visited a gift shop at a distillery but was too late for the tour.)

I seem to remember that you toured the Dickel or Daniels distillery.

Both in one day, they're about 12 miles apart. They're in a darned DRY county. You can buy some "special" bottles, but you can't have a sip.

Gingersnap
11-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I hope you're not coming down with anything serious. It's amazing how many horrible diseases start out as just sniffles and a sore throat and wind up being some dreadfully painful and horrifyingly disfiguring life threatening disorders.

That's prolly not the case with you though. :)

Hey, I'm gonna watch The Stand tonight.

Thanks for your concern. No, I'm getting the hellacious cold that put Mr. Snaps out of commission for 4 days last week.

Because my sainted MIL is over 90, we have had to tell everybody that Thanksgiving Day at Chez Snaps' is canceled. They are forming Plan B as I type. :(