PDA

View Full Version : what is left for them to boycott?

Cseeman
11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9611685

I'm talking about a simple boycott of all nonessential spending. Simple, because we're talking about nonessentials: movies; the latest game system or mobile phone; the trendiest toys; another pair of shoes for an already crowded closet; eating out...

I'm mentioned this before and been condemned for it because the people who would suffer the most are the lower working class who make a living selling nonessentials. But aren't they already suffering? Has the system that enslaves the lower class not been designed specifically to make challenging it more painful than submitting to it? Isn't it necessary to be willing to take a punch to get close enough to deliver a punch?

In an economy where 70% of the GDP is based on consumption, imagine the impact and the message of simply not doing any unnecessary consuming. Yes, the wealthy can weather the storm, but they'd be watching the U.S. market, and a cascade of markets around the world, dive in response. The ones who would be afraid would be the politicians. They still have to navigate the illusion of democracy to obtain their positions. This would put fear in their hearts.

A lot of people are already doing this out of necessity. Why not join them in solidarity? Is affluence alongside poverty moral?

Remember when George W. Bush told everyone to get out and spend money after 9/11? He was showing the soft underbelly of the system.

That is what i want to know

Constitutionally Speaking
11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Will their stupidity ever cease???

Madisonian
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I would suggest this Dumb Me reduce his non-essential spending by canceling his subscription to his ISP and not donating to the DuhFest 4th quarter funding drive.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!
He probably uses the public library or his parent computer. Nevermind.

SarasotaRepub
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Will their stupidity ever cease???

I certainly hope not!!! :D

marv
11-22-2010, 07:36 PM
They could give up their kitty litter........

NJCardFan
11-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I would suggest this Dumb Me reduce his non-essential spending by canceling his subscription to his ISP and not donating to the DuhFest 4th quarter funding drive.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!
He probably uses the public library or his parent computer. Nevermind.

Yeah. I would assume making donations to websites would be deemed somewhat frivolous in some circles.

FDK
11-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Stock tip: Sell Frito-Lay. (maker of Cheetos)

Dan D. Doty
11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Another Denizen with a no-nothing life.

noonwitch
11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9611685

That is what i want to know

Christmas is going to totally suck for their children, if they follow this plan.

I'm all for righteous boycotts-the boycott of South Africa in the 80s led to the end of apartheid. I just wonder what they think they will accomplish. One wiccan author (Zusannah Budapest) suggested that all the women of the world should refrain from having babies for one year to make the paternalistic, war-mongering male power structure fall. Yeah, that's realistic.