PDA

View Full Version : Federal workers earning double their private counterparts

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY
At a time when workers' pay and benefits have stagnated, federal employees' average compensation has grown to more than double what private sector workers earn, a USA TODAY analysis finds.

Federal workers have been awarded bigger average pay and benefit increases than private employees for nine years in a row. The compensation gap between federal and private workers has doubled in the past decade.

Federal civil servants earned average pay and benefits of $123,049 in 2009 while private workers made $61,051 in total compensation, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The data are the latest available.

The federal compensation advantage has grown from $30,415 in 2000 to $61,998 last year.

Public employee unions say the compensation gap reflects the increasingly high level of skill and education required for most federal jobs and the government contracting out lower-paid jobs to the private sector in recent years.
Mo>http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/income/2010-08-10-1Afedpay10_ST_N.htm

marv
11-22-2010, 07:33 PM
When I retired from the Dept. of the Army in '92 as a civilian, my salary was about $62k. I was offered over double that if I quit and went to work for IBM, Amdahl, or a DC contractor.

The unionspeak of "...the increasingly high level of skill and education required for most federal jobs..." is pure bullshit! It was then, and it hasn't changed since.

Wei Wu Wei
11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
the private sector aims to minimize labor costs and comes up with lower pay? well that's not surprising.

it's talking about total compensation which includes health benefits and whatnot, and government employees tend to get decent health care which isn't true for a lot of private jobs.

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
the private sector aims to minimize labor costs and comes up with lower pay? well that's not surprising.

it's talking about total compensation which includes health benefits and whatnot, and government employees tend to get decent health care which isn't true for a lot of private jobs.

They produce nothing, they are parasites on the rest of us that have to work to pay for their perks that we cannot afford to have ourselves.

Wei Wu Wei
11-22-2010, 08:34 PM
If only we had a health care system that didn't put the burden of rising health care costs on businesses? Especially small businesses.

If only things like health care were taken care of so businesses didn't have to be responsible for insuring their employees and facing rising costs themselves.

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 08:37 PM
If only we had a health care system that didn't put the burden of rising health care costs on businesses? Especially small businesses.

If only things like health care were taken care of so businesses didn't have to be responsible for insuring their employees and facing rising costs themselves.

If only people like you would learn to carry their own weight, it would be easier for all of us!

NJCardFan
11-22-2010, 08:59 PM
They produce nothing, they are parasites on the rest of us that have to work to pay for their perks that we cannot afford to have ourselves.

Big Guy and I are government workers. I make $60K right now. Every day we go to work might be the last time we do so. At any time we can catch a shank in the neck or the back or get hit with a lock in a sock or 1,000 other ways to be assaulted. And if you don't think we're worth our salary, tell that to Fred Baker's (http://www.nj.com/bridgeton/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1280549421174730.xml&coll=10) family.

djones520
11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Big Guy and I are government workers. I make $60K right now. Every day we go to work might be the last time we do so. At any time we can catch a shank in the neck or the back or get hit with a lock in a sock or 1,000 other ways to be assaulted. And if you don't think we're worth our salary, tell that to Fred Baker's (http://www.nj.com/bridgeton/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1280549421174730.xml&coll=10) family.

I make $50k a year.

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 09:19 PM

I'm not talking about everyone and I didn't expect to have to explain it! How about if I narrow it down to duties that the constitution clearly gives to government which would include prison guards ,law enforcement etc, and then their are the departments that there is no provision for in the constitution.
Don't wear your feelings on your sleeve!

m00
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Well, some government workers are worth every cent their are paid. Others are not. I grew up outside DC, and a lot of my hometown friends work for the Federal Government now. I'm in private industry, so I get home at around 8 or 9 and esp. when we have some big deadline... 10 or 11 isn't unsual. These guys punch out at 4:30. And I *know* some of them play video games from work. Make more than I do, and work half as many hours. :p

Zathras
11-23-2010, 12:53 AM

If only idiots like you would STFU and go die in a fire then America would be a much better and smarter place without your defective DNA to muck up the human race.

noonwitch
11-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't know what the federal government pays it's employees.

I work for the state government. I work 12 months a year, and I make about $51,000 a year. I don't think I'm overpaid, and I get sick of politicians, who are making hundreds of thousands of dollars for working only part of the year, claiming that we are overpaid.