PDA

View Full Version : Curious

Jfor
11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
We have how many Border Patrol agents? 2500?

We have how many TSA agents? 65000?

Seems there is a bit of a problem in who our government thinks is the real danger here.

Kay
11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
That is a very good point.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o5swS_a08j4/S2FhbojWSMI/AAAAAAAAE1Q/qCRF_xA7vfs/s400/Janet+napolitano+nap+state+of+the+union.jpg

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 11:03 PM

Seems there is a bit of a problem in who our government thinks is the real danger here.

Every international airport is a border of sorts.

m00
11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Every international airport is a border of sorts.

Well it seems kinda strange to lock up your front gate to the point where its a hassle for you to get through, but leave your back door wide open.

Rockntractor
11-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Well it seems kinda strange to lock up your front gate to the point where its a hassle for you to get through, but leave your back door wide open.

Stupid is what government is all about, almost unbelievably so.

m00
11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Stupid is what government is all about, almost unbelievably so.

I can't stand government. I think most people are starting to see it as well. I have some liberal friends that are starting to become States Rights advocates... they are like "Yeah it's great that states are trying to opt out of abusive TSA policy" at which point I reply "you really think Federal government won't throw every court, lawyer, and congressional act at those states to prevent that from happening? Or go so far as to withhold tax money?"

Then the light goes on.

That's my bouncy.

Thor
11-23-2010, 01:09 AM
The only effective and LEGAL way for the TSA to be told to mellow out is for people to just NOT fly. The airlines can exert an awful lot of presure on the Govt.

The other thing that disturbs me is that other than 9/11, NONE of the attempted terror attacks have originated in the US. Even 9/11 was assisted by the ramp rats (ground crew) so the perpetrators could get through the metal detectors unscathed. The entire TSA thing is merely feel good security that's gotten out of hand.

Finally, were the US to take lessons from Israel, they wouldn't need to violate people like they are.

Jfor
11-23-2010, 09:12 AM
The entire TSA thing is merely feel good security that's gotten out of hand.

That is the crux of the entire TSA argument. It is all smoke and mirrors. The scanners cannot detect the bomb material. It can only detect metal.

Our southern border will be our undoing. Easy in and out access by folks who mean to do us harm.

megimoo
11-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Border Patrol : About 20,200 agents
TSA : About 45,000 agents

Jfor
11-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Border Patrol : About 20,200 agents
TSA : About 45,000 agents

Ok... That still doesn't address why we have more TSA agents than Border Patrol agents.

megimoo
11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Ok... That still doesn't address why we have more TSA agents than Border Patrol agents.Sure it does .They are at risk politically if they don't stop aircraft bombings.
The open border gives them a whole new electorate and that they don't want to stop !

hampshirebrit
11-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Sure it does .They are at risk politically if they don't stop aircraft bombings.
The open border gives them a whole new electorate and that they don't want to stop !

This is true.

Also, the Border Patrol and the TSA functions are entirely different. The one is for securing the borders against illegal entry attempts, and the other is (supposedly) for securing the transportation system against terrorist attack.

I'm presuming that TSA doesn't only operate on passengers taking international flights.

hampshirebrit
11-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Finally, were the US to take lessons from Israel, they wouldn't need to violate people like they are.

I guess you haven't flown El Al from Ben Gurion or LHR.

On the way back, I thought it was gonna be rubber glove time for me. :eek:
I was actually required to "drop trou for Israel" on the way back to London. They didn't like some of the other visas in my passport.

Point taken though. El Al security is second to none. Everyone gets a thorough interview, bags X-rayed and swabbed for explosive residue, even the Orthodox Jews ... no-one gets let off lightly. It's a crap airline in most other respects, but you are likely to arrive in one piece.

Jfor
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm presuming that TSA doesn't only operate on passengers taking international flights.

They operate on all flights. Even domestic.

Sure it does .They are at risk politically if they don't stop aircraft bombings.

I understand the political risk. The reality is the backcscatter machines do not detect the bomb material. Neither does invasive patdowns. By playacting to the public at large that we are safe, doesn't make it so. This administration says we have the underwear bomber to thank. Problem is, these machines and patdowns would not have detected him.