PDA

View Full Version : S.Korea Responds,China watches, Japan prepares,Obama and UN Condemns

megimoo
11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
China says it is carefully watching impact of N. Korean attack

HONG KONG, Nov. 23 (Yonhap) -- The Chinese government said Tuesday it is keeping tabs on the situation surrounding North Korea's abrupt artillery attack on a South Korean island in the West Sea

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2010/11/23/0200000000AEN20101123010000320.HTML

megimoo
11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
China says it is carefully watching impact of N. Korean attack

HONG KONG, Nov. 23 (Yonhap) -- The Chinese government said Tuesday it is keeping tabs on the situation surrounding North Korea's abrupt artillery attack on a South Korean island in the West Sea

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2010/11/23/0200000000AEN20101123010000320.HTMLThat Fat North Korean kid is showing the world his muscles.

megimoo
11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
World Edgy on Korea, Russia Sees 'Colossal Danger'

snip
"The shelling is likely succession-related in that the DPRK (North Korea) is seeking to build political capital for Kim Jong-un by attempting to enhance the perception of Jong-un's power base," said Brittany Damora, analyst at the risk advisory firm AKE.

"In the North's view, Yeonpyeong is a great target in that it can strengthen the perception of its position without a real risk of counter-attack."

Alastair Newton, political analyst at Nomura in London, said the South had made clear that it wanted to avoid an escalation, and that the sinking of the South Korean warship Cheonan in March, although denied by the North, had arguably been more serious because of the 46 lives lost.

"Bottom line: together with possible preparations for a third nuclear test and the revelation at the weekend of the uranium enrichment facility, this looks like it could be North Korea playing hardball in anticipation of coming back to the negotiating table," Newton said.
snip
http://www.cnbc.com/id/40333583

Big Guy
11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Notice China's response? I think the Chinese are up to their elbows in this. :mad:

I offer no proof, just a gut feeling.

megimoo
11-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Notice China's response? I think the Chinese are up to their elbows in this. :mad:

I offer no proof, just a gut feeling.

North Korea is one of China's buffer zones between it and the Western world.China only 'reels' them in when they become a bit too ambitious.
It suits China's purposes to have then act up just now to keep America and Japan on edge.N Korea responds to China's puppet strings if they wish to keep on eating !

Big Guy
11-23-2010, 11:51 AM
North Korea is one of China's buffer zones between it and the Western world.China only 'reels' them in when they become a bit too ambitious.
It suits China's purposes to have then act up just now to keep America and Japan on edge.N Korea responds to China's puppet strings if they wish to keep on eating !

Like I said, just a gut feeling. I do not trust China, they use North Korea to do their bidding and face no direct consequences them self.

The Art of War.

megimoo
11-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Like I said, just a gut feeling. I do not trust China, they use North Korea to do their bidding and face no direct consequences them self.

The Art of War.There's no reason to ever trust China.They see America as an upstart in the way of their quest for the worlds adoration because of their Ancient greatness .They see this as China's Century on the worlds stage . They plan and think in different terms than the Western world does.

noonwitch
11-23-2010, 01:06 PM

The Art of War.

If I were part of the Chinese government, I would want to defend South Korea against the North before the US/West does anything. Then they can appeal to the SKs and say "we defended you against them when the west ignored you". They score a diplomatic victory over the US, and eventually maybe could convince the South Koreans that they have China's protection and no longer need the US. Then they take the whole Penninsula once the US military presence is gone.

Then, they can go for Taiwan, once they realize the US/West isn't going to do anything to stop them.

Odysseus
11-23-2010, 02:07 PM
If I were part of the Chinese government, I would want to defend South Korea against the North before the US/West does anything. Then they can appeal to the SKs and say "we defended you against them when the west ignored you". They score a diplomatic victory over the US, and eventually maybe could convince the South Koreans that they have China's protection and no longer need the US. Then they take the whole Penninsula once the US military presence is gone.

Then, they can go for Taiwan, once they realize the US/West isn't going to do anything to stop them.

China doesn't need to take the peninsula. Having another restive minority just makes their lives more complicated. North Korea effectively neutralizes South Korea as a threat, and that's just how China likes it. The problem with North Korea is that they have their own agenda, which depends on western aid, but because of the nature of the regime, they can't ask for it, it has to be demanded as a concession for not doing something that they are going to do anyway, like developing nuclear weapons. So, they act up,then demand negotiations, and try to wheedle something out of us in return for behaving. This is also timed so that it screws with the US, since Obama just had a very poor showing on his Asia trip. This rubs his nose in his failure to accomplish anything there.

marv
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
South Korea is hardly a threat to China, or anybody else. Let's just have a war and get it over with.

megimoo
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
South Korea is hardly a threat to China, or anybody else. Let's just have a war and get it over with.Easy there old man.You've already had your Korean war !

Odysseus
11-23-2010, 04:14 PM
South Korea is hardly a threat to China, or anybody else. Let's just have a war and get it over with.

North Korea has the means to destroy the parts of the South that are within the range of their artillery fan (which includes Seoul), and their development of their missiles and nukes means that they have the capacity to take a lot of people with them in their regime's death throes. Any first strike on the north would have to be completely devastating and destroy any retaliatory capability, which means nukes. A nuclear strike on China's borders would be a bad thing. Very bad.

megimoo
11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
North Korea has the means to destroy the parts of the South that are within the range of their artillery fan (which includes Seoul), and their development of their missiles and nukes means that they have the capacity to take a lot of people with them in their regime's death throes. Any first strike on the north would have to be completely devastating and destroy any retaliatory capability, which means nukes. A nuclear strike on China's borders would be a bad thing. Very bad.

Nuclear weapons are the weapons of last choice to use in wartime.If North Korea really starts to act up and shows any pre launch activity at their Nuclear launch sites the Navy will take them out .Their launch sites are all targeted with precise GPS coordinates and are under satellite watch .

When Japan yells for US help SSGN'S carry 154 Tomahawk cruise missiles each .That many cruise missiles can easily take out North Korea's nuclear launch sites,especially from the Sea Of Japan .

The Tomahawk cruise missiles are pre programmed to hit the desired target by built in targeting eeroms .
They're all fire and forget .A salvo of those thing is an awesome sight !

Odysseus
11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Nuclear weapons are the weapons of last choice to use in wartime.If North Korea really starts to act up and shows any pre launch activity at their Nuclear launch sites the Navy will take them out .Their launch sites are all targeted with precise GPS coordinates and are under satellite watch .

When Japan yells for US help SSGN'S carry 154 Tomahawk cruise missiles each .That many cruise missiles can easily take out North Korea's nuclear launch sites,especially from the Sea Of Japan .

The Tomahawk cruise missiles are pre programmed to hit the desired target by built in targeting eeroms .
They're all fire and forget .A salvo of those thing is an awesome sight !

It's not just the nukes. The artillery barrage on Seoul will kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, and the artillery is in hardened positions. We'd have to nuke them to prevent that.

m00
11-24-2010, 01:29 AM
It's not just the nukes. The artillery barrage on Seoul will kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, and the artillery is in hardened positions. We'd have to nuke them to prevent that.

Isn't this why we invented tactical nukes? Man, why do we insist on fighting wars with one hand tied behind our backs. The Powell Doctrine had the right of it, I don't know why we forgot that lesson.

Adam Wood
11-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Isn't this why we invented tactical nukes? Man, why do we insist on fighting wars with one hand tied behind our backs. The Powell Doctrine had the right of it, I don't know why we forgot that lesson.There are limitations in all weaponry. I certainly do not claim to be any expert in NK tactical stances, but my understanding is that much of their hardened-position weaponry (which is literally cast in lead-lined concrete, pointed permanently towards Seoul and Incheon) is tough enough to overcome a tac-nuke blast. God knows we built plenty of that kind of stuff.

IF we were to engage (and I don't think that day is here yet), I think MOABs may be a better bet, just for their sheer concrete-shattering ability and the fact that if one just gets close, it will turn the lungs of any Norks in those emplacements inside-out.

But we're a long way from having to make that plan just yet. I suspect that Captain Hole in One is actually "bargaining" for some heating oil and such before winter REALLY sets in. Wouldn't be the first time for him.