PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Travel Outlook

Gingersnap
11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanksgiving Travel Outlook
by Meteorologists Jon Erdman and Chris Dolce

Thanksgiving Travel

Watch The Weather Channel for the latest weather news affecting your Thanksgiving travel.
Tuesday's Travel Trouble Spots

Wet roads from Buffalo, N.Y. and Syracuse, N.Y. to Charleston, W.V. and Nashville, Tenn.

A few showers may make it into the I-95 corridor of the Northeast by afternoon, however most of the activity will be light and fizzling.

Snow and strong winds will make travel very dangerous on I-80 from near Salt Lake City to the Sierra Nevada. I-15 will also be treacherous from Montana to Utah.

Rain will dampen the I-5 corridor in California and I-80 west of the Sierra. This includes the Bay Area and Sacramento.

Airport Hubs

Low clouds and showers could cause some delays at the major hubs of the Northeast, including the New York area (LGA/EWR/JFK), Philadelphia and Boston.

Gusty winds around Great Lakes could cause some problems in Detroit and Cleveland.

Snow and strong winds will cause major delays and may cause cancellations in Salt Lake City, particularly by afternoon and evening.

Wet weather in the Bay Area could cause some delays in San Francisco.

National Overview

Two systems will impact the nation, one in the East and another in the West.

The cold front in the east will spread showers and a few storms from the Northeast southwestward into the Tennessee and Lower Mississippi Valleys.

A very potent system will move from out of the Northwest into the Rockies with snow and high winds. Travel will be very dangerous from this combination, with low visibilities and possible blizzard conditions.

Arctic air will keep the Northwest and Upper Midwest shivering, while well above-average warmth engulfs the Northeast and South. Much cooler in the Great Lakes, Mid-Mississippi and Ohio Valleys.

Maps and radar at the link.

Weather (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/travel-outlook-thanksgving-daily_2010-11-22)

linda22003
11-23-2010, 12:26 PM
I think I can handle the eight mile drive to pick up my father for dinner.

Kay
11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank God all my relatives are within driving distance.

Gingersnap
11-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Temps will drop like a rock here and there is some snow forecast. Ice will probably be the main thing out here.

Kay
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Just checked our weather outlook.
Here it will be 80 for the high tomorrow
and then 52 for the high on Thursday.
Thanks Ginger for blowing some of your
left over cold air my way. :)

Gingersnap
11-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Just checked our weather outlook.
Here it will be 80 for the high tomorrow
and then 52 for the high on Thursday.
Thanks Ginger for blowing some of your
left over cold air my way. :)

We haven't even gotten ours yet. It should be seasonal, for a minute tomorrow, with temps dropping radically in the P.M. Wednesday afternoon should drop down to freezing and stay freezing through Thanksgiving day and night (well below freezing after dark).

It's difficult in my world to consider 52 F as a problem. :D