PDA

View Full Version : OSU President: TCU, Boise State don't deserve to play for national title

ralph wiggum
11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Even if TCU and Boise State run the table, they still don't deserve to be in the Bowl Championship Series title game, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said Wednesday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, the president at the university with the largest athletic program in the country said that TCU and Boise State do not face a difficult enough schedule to play in the national championship game.

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision because it was "a slippery slope to professionalism."

A former president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities, Gee said he favoured the "mixed-up mystery" of the current system.

LINK (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/breakingnews/ohio-state-president-gordon-gee-says-tcu-boise-state-dont-deserve-to-play-for-national-title-110380779.html)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fettpett
11-24-2010, 09:51 AM
fuck him...this is why the NCAA Div 1 needs a Playoff system, to shut these dipshits up. He's a moron ever other level of the NCAA has a playoff system that works just fine.

ralph wiggum
11-24-2010, 10:04 AM
More from the pointy-headed academic:

"Well, I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day. So I think until a university runs through that gauntlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame."

Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

"If you put a gun to my head and said, 'What are you going to do about a playoff system [if] the BCS system as it now exists goes away?' I would vote immediately to go back to the bowl system," he said.

He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.

- SNIP -

"You know, it's a mystery," Gee said. "We were No. 1 then No. 11 then No. 7 and we ended up playing for the national championship. I think I kind of like that mixed-up mystery."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5845736

marv
11-24-2010, 10:45 AM
I notice that he put "student" ahead of "athlete"...

He said the current system is better for the student-athletes.

Good for him!

NJCardFan
11-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Gee, long an admirer of the BCS and the current bowl system, said he was against a playoff in the Football Bowl Subdivision because it was "a slippery slope to professionalism."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I suppose the playoff systems in the other collegiate sports isn't a "slippery slope to professionalism." The NCAA basketball tournament is one of the biggest things going and a huge moneymaker for the NCAA yet this moron doesn't speak out against it.

We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

Ohio State
Ohio
Eastern Michigan

Michigan
UConn
UMass
Bowling Green

Penn St.
Youngstown St.
Kent St.
Temple

Wisconsin
Austin Peay
San Jose St. (Boise St. opponent)
UNLV

Michigan St.
Western Michigan
Florida Atlantic
Northern Colorado

Nooooo, Big 10 schools don't play weak sisters. Even the SEC the powerhouse teams(Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn) play weak teams like Appalachian St., Louisiana-Lafayette, Idaho St., Georgia St., San Jose St., Duke, Tennessee Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP so this guy getting all high and mighty is disingenuous.

Molon Labe
11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
but it would be funny as hell if they did play for the title. It'd break up the BCS bull real quick.

NJCardFan
11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
but it would be funny as hell if they did play for the title. It'd break up the BCS bull real quick.

I'm no Boise St. fan but yeah, the best way to shut them up is to play them and beat them. Also, it's to my understanding that Boise St. offered to play some of the bigger schools but they've all pretty much said no so who knows who's right.

Rebel Yell
11-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm no Boise St. fan but yeah, the best way to shut them up is to play them and beat them. Also, it's to my understanding that Boise St. offered to play some of the bigger schools but they've all pretty much said no so who knows who's right.

Boise State wants everyone to come to Boise, though. Until you become a real powerhouse, you play anybody, anywhere. You are not in a position to negotiate. Miami and FSU built their reps by playing anybody, anywhere, not by pretending they have clout by beating up on a division 1 1/2 conference.

MountainMan
11-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Boise State wants everyone to come to Boise, though. Until you become a real powerhouse, you play anybody, anywhere. You are not in a position to negotiate. Miami and FSU built their reps by playing anybody, anywhere, not by pretending they have clout by beating up on a division 1 1/2 conference.

Bullshit.....Miami and FSU built up there schools the old fashion way, they bought it and now they don't want to share. That is why the SEC, Big Ten and the BIG 12 refuse to go to Boise. They can't stand the fact that they would probably get their ass handed to them on the Smurf turf.

For four years, both TCU and Boise State have been cleaning the clocks of all they have played.....and now we are on the verge of either TCU or Boise State breaking up the monopoly of the BCS, the crooked Big Ten and SEC start crying foul...

You are going to see all hell break loose when Alabama beats Auburn and their bought and paid for quarterback this weekend and Auburn drops to 5th or lower in the standings.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-25-2010, 06:12 AM
I suppose the playoff systems in the other collegiate sports isn't a "slippery slope to professionalism." The NCAA basketball tournament is one of the biggest things going and a huge moneymaker for the NCAA yet this moron doesn't speak out against it.

Ohio State
Ohio
Eastern Michigan

Michigan
UConn
UMass
Bowling Green

Penn St.
Youngstown St.
Kent St.
Temple

Wisconsin
Austin Peay
San Jose St. (Boise St. opponent)
UNLV

Michigan St.
Western Michigan
Florida Atlantic
Northern Colorado

Nooooo, Big 10 schools don't play weak sisters. Even the SEC the powerhouse teams(Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn) play weak teams like Appalachian St., Louisiana-Lafayette, Idaho St., Georgia St., San Jose St., Duke, Tennessee Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP so this guy getting all high and mighty is disingenuous.

What you say is true, but they DON'T play them every week.

Where the teams you mention in the bigger conferences play 2-4 patsies a year, Boise State and TCU play 2-3 decent teams a year and the rest of their schedule is filled with patsies.

This is not meant to disrespect Boise State or TCU, I think they deserve a chance to play in a PLAYOFF system. That would eliminate the issue.

NJCardFan
11-25-2010, 09:52 AM
What you say is true, but they DON'T play them every week.

Where the teams you mention in the bigger conferences play 2-4 patsies a year, Boise State and TCU play 2-3 decent teams a year and the rest of their schedule is filled with patsies.

This is not meant to disrespect Boise State or TCU, I think they deserve a chance to play in a PLAYOFF system. That would eliminate the issue.

You don't think there are weak sisters in the Big 10 or SEC? For years Northwestern couldn't win a game. Indiana is always on the bottom and with the exception of a year or 2, so is Minnesota. And Boise St. can't help their conference but the truth to the matter is, they are a powerhouse team over the last few years. As was said, the established conferences want the whole pie for themselves and hate it that teams like Boise and TCU have been this competitive. These are the same arguments that used to be made in the 80's when BYU and Clemson won national titles.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-25-2010, 10:48 AM
You don't think there are weak sisters in the Big 10 or SEC? For years Northwestern couldn't win a game. Indiana is always on the bottom and with the exception of a year or 2, so is Minnesota. And Boise St. can't help their conference but the truth to the matter is, they are a powerhouse team over the last few years. As was said, the established conferences want the whole pie for themselves and hate it that teams like Boise and TCU have been this competitive. These are the same arguments that used to be made in the 80's when BYU and Clemson won national titles.

I would submit that the weakest Big Ten or SEC team would be a 2nd or 3rd place team in the conferences that TCU and Boise State play in.

I don't disagree that they deserve a shot at the title, but again, with a playoff system.

fettpett
11-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I can't stand Boise St field it fucking ugly and don't blame teams for not wanting to go there.

At lest Boise St is going to get a chance at proving themselves when they join the Big 12 (I think) and gets more exposer to bigger schools.

MountainMan
11-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I can't stand Boise St field it fucking ugly and don't blame teams for not wanting to go there.

At lest Boise St is going to get a chance at proving themselves when they join the Big 12 (I think) and gets more exposer to bigger schools.

:rolleyes: Yes, it is the blue field that makes the bigger conferences cringe....It isnt the fact that if a bigger school loses on the smurf turf that the bigger schools recruiting for that year goes to shit.

Boise State is the elite when it comes to home wins. If they were to beat an Ohio State in Boise, all hell would break loose. That is why teams refuse to come to Boise...they are afraid.

NJCardFan
11-27-2010, 10:14 AM
:rolleyes: Yes, it is the blue field that makes the bigger conferences cringe....It isnt the fact that if a bigger school loses on the smurf turf that the bigger schools recruiting for that year goes to shit.

Boise State is the elite when it comes to home wins. If they were to beat an Ohio State in Boise, all hell would break loose. That is why teams refuse to come to Boise...they are afraid.

Still want to blow Boise St.'s horn?

MountainMan
11-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Still want to blow Boise St.'s horn?

You fucking betcha....What they have accomplished over the last few years has been nothing short of amazing and anybody who can honestly say they aren't an elite team, even after last nights loss doesn't know jack shit about football.

NJCardFan
11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
You fucking betcha....What they have accomplished over the last few years has been nothing short of amazing and anybody who can honestly say they aren't an elite team, even after last nights loss doesn't know jack shit about football.

Oh, snap. Son, I can run circles around you in football knowledge. And, no, BS is not an elite team.

fettpett
11-29-2010, 08:23 PM
hey...all I'm going to say to the OSU pres is, WISCONSIN IS GOING TO THE ROSE BOWL!!!!!

of course a 3-way tie is the reason the Big 10 needs a Champ game, dipshit can't even get it right in his own conference and thinks it's a good thing how its set on the National stage.