PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Thanksgiving Wednesday!

Gingersnap
11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
It's cold and kind of spooky out here. The high might crack freezing.

TOTD: What is your most unusual Thanksgiving experience? Unusual time, unusual place, unusual people, unusual food, or unusual situation?

djones520
11-24-2010, 09:49 AM
TOTD: Tomorrow will probably the my most unusual. Never had Thanksgiving in a deployed dfac before.

Gingersnap
11-24-2010, 09:52 AM
TOTD: Tomorrow will probably the my most unusual. Never had Thanksgiving in a deployed dfac before.

Do you still get turkey?

djones520
11-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Do you still get turkey?

I'm pretty sure we'll have a good spread tomorrow. They've had pies, cheese cakes, and devilled eggs out for the last week as a run up to the main event.

jendf
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
We had Thanksgiving brunch at the Wrigley Mansion (http://www.wrigleymansionclub.com/) a few years ago. Great food. Beautiful mansion. Fun experience. But I definitely felt out of my element. The folks who attend this thing are generally dripping in money while we just played the part. My grandmother paid for the whole shebang (the first time) so it was good.

The year my grandmother died, we went again. In honor of her, I guess. Plus, we were all too exhausted to throw together a traditional dinner.

But we haven't been back since. We like to wear t-shirts and jean to our Turkey Day dinner. The folks at Wrigley would frown on that. :D

linda22003
11-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Most unusual : St. John, 1991. My parents would rent a house on St. John for most of the winter, for a few years, and we'd try to get down there at some point. We went down that Thanksgiving and we made a reservation at the local restaurant for "Thursday night". They took it, not thinking about Thanksgiving. When we got there, the place was dark and locked.

This was at a rural end of the island, away from Cruz Bay, and we didn't want to deal with driving to the other end, so we went back home to see what was there. We baked some frozen pizza and had gin and tonics, and had a fine time. Every other menu at Thanksgiving was the same; that year was unique.

lacarnut
11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
It is a sunny warm 82 degrees in big B.R. Had the A.C. on after working in the yard yesterday. Cold weather is coming our way this weekend.

TOTD: Thanksgiving in Germany while in the Army many years ago.

SaintLouieWoman
11-24-2010, 12:10 PM
It's in the 70's here, will get to the low 80's. It's beautiful and sunny. They say a cold front is coming Friday. Big deal, it will have a high in the mid 70's. They have a different concept of cold fronts here than they had in St Louis. :D

TOTD: Most unusual Thanksgiving is this year, when I won't be with my family, my sister and BIL, two sons and little grandkid. I'll be here in sunny Florida.

Kay
11-24-2010, 07:20 PM
TOTD: A sad memory for me.
The most unusual I had was in 1979. I was home from college, all my family was there including both sets of grandparents. We'd all just about finished eating and were sitting there at the table still talking, when my granddad started feeling bad and said he needed to go home and lay down. He kept saying he'd gotten up early and was just tired. His wife and my dad helped him get in the car, and just soon as the car door closed he slumped over. Daddy just jumped in and drove to the ER fast as he could. It was a massive stroke that left him paralyzed and with significant brain damage. We all spent the rest of that Thanksgiving Day at the hospital.

SarasotaRepub
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Well on the way home tonight I picked up a HUGE Banana Cream Pie at Yoder's for tomorrow! YUM...:D

SLW is also going to make a punkin pie.

hampshirebrit
11-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Technically it's TG today, where I am. Shame we don't celebrate it.

Still, from tomorrow, I'll be on vacation until next January. Happy Thanksgiving to Me. :D