PDA

View Full Version : On the worst jello salad ever

bijou
11-24-2010, 01:10 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_koubpXIusp4/SwzQGhqbU8I/AAAAAAAABQk/15aXtPcvcHU/s1600/JELLO1.jpg

“We agreed it [the article] must have been fairly widely read in both our congregations, because on one page there’s a recipe for that molded salad of orange gelatin with stuffed green olives and shredded cabbage and anchovies that has dogged my ministerial life these last years, and which appears at his house whenever he so much as catches cold. There should be a law to prevent recipes for molded salad from appearing within twenty pages of any article having to do with religion.” (Marilynne Robinson, Gilead p.145)

Perhaps the only ingredient that could make this particular jello salad worse would be tofu, which makes most anything with which it comes into contact a little worse. The pastor quoted above is about 77 years old and has been plagued by Lutheran jello salad his whole life. Nothing like seeing a jello salad coming your way with shredded carrots and fruit cocktail suspended in the mixture. And little miniature slices of peeled mandarin oranges. Or little shrimp. Does Dante describe a ring in hell for those who prepared this awesomely frightening dish? ...link (http://spanishmedievalist.blogspot.com/2009/11/on-worst-jello-salad-ever.html)

Is there a dish you will be avoiding tomorrow? :eek:

linda22003
11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
There's so much to choose from....

http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

ralph wiggum
11-24-2010, 02:01 PM
An aunt of mine brings some of the most horrific jello salads every year. I avoid it like the plague.

Rockntractor
11-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Anything made with the devils ooze, mayonnaise!

bijou
11-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Anything made with the devils ooze, mayonnaise!

So you and Ralphy won't be sharing a plate of STRAWBERRY VELVET JELLO SALAD (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1843,144160-250193,00.html)

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1843,144160-250193,00.html
Content Copyright © 2010 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

3 oz. pkg. strawberry Jello
1 c. boiling water
10 oz. pkg. frozen strawberries, drained (reserve juice)
1/2 c. mayonnaise
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. orange juice

Rockntractor
11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
So you and Ralphy won't be sharing a plate of STRAWBERRY VELVET JELLO SALAD (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1843,144160-250193,00.html)

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1843,144160-250193,00.html
Content Copyright © 2010 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

3 oz. pkg. strawberry Jello
1 c. boiling water
10 oz. pkg. frozen strawberries, drained (reserve juice)
1/2 c. mayonnaise
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. orange juice
Leave the mayo out and put in more cream cheese!

Articulate_Ape
11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
What's wrong with mayo, Rock?

Rockntractor
11-24-2010, 02:37 PM
What's wrong with mayo, Rock?

Yuck yuck yuck barf ick phooey!:eek:

Articulate_Ape
11-24-2010, 02:38 PM

Your problem is that you keep thinking about pus when you eat it.

Rockntractor
11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Your problem is that you keep thinking about pus when you eat it.

It is kind of like lancing a big butt boil!:eek:

Gingersnap
11-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Well, no one is bringing anything to my house tomorrow but I will confess that I dislike cornbread stuffing and the iconic green bean casserole.

I don't have anything against canned soup as a potential ingredient but there are so many more interesting things to do with green beans.

ralph wiggum
11-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Well, no one is bringing anything to my house tomorrow but I will confess that I dislike cornbread stuffing and the iconic green bean casserole.

I don't have anything against canned soup as a potential ingredient but there are so many more interesting things to do with green beans.

Paging jendf.... :p

noonwitch
11-24-2010, 03:47 PM
That looks like the one my paternal grandmother used to make for summer gatherings. She always made candied yams for Thanksgiving, which I don't like.

I hate cornbread stuffing, too. I am contributing a spinach pie, which I have to at least make the filling tonight, and finish it in the morning.

jendf
11-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Thank you! See, Ralphie, I'm not the only one. :D

Green beans=Excellent
Green bean casserole=Bite Me

Gingersnap
11-24-2010, 03:52 PM
That looks like the one my paternal grandmother used to make for summer gatherings. She always made candied yams for Thanksgiving, which I don't like.

I hate cornbread stuffing, too. I am contributing a spinach pie, which I have to at least make the filling tonight, and finish it in the morning.

I second the nomination for candied yams. I hate making them and refuse to eat them.

Phillygirl
11-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I think my sister's mil will be bringing oyster stuffing. I can't stand that stuff!

Articulate_Ape
11-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Oysters? Stuffing? WTF? What are people stuffing with this, a grouper?

Phillygirl
11-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Oysters? Stuffing? WTF?

Yeah, it smells disgusting. I've never tasted it . Once someone dropped it when taking it out of the oven and the smell was overpowering for the rest of the night. I almost vomited right there in my plate.

It's not put in the turkey...just cooked separate. She also makes some kind of jelloed sald. It tastes like macaroni salad that was put in a blender. The taste isn't bad, just the texture is icky. All her kids make a big fuss about how awful it is, so I tasted it. It wasn't as bad as they acted, but not something I would request.

Calypso Jones
11-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't have a problem with mayo. I do have a problem with chicken wings. I don't eat chicken under-arms.

Kay
11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Thank you! See, Ralphie, I'm not the only one. :D

Green beans=Excellent
Green bean casserole=Bite Me

Me three!

Other than NO to the gbc, I don't care much for anything with hominy in it.

megimoo
11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
It is kind of like lancing a big butt boil!:eek:No No,that's called Spoon Dangie... whatsdamateryou ?:eek:

SaintLouieWoman
11-24-2010, 09:15 PM
I think my sister's mil will be bringing oyster stuffing. I can't stand that stuff!
I also hate oyster stuffing. The worst is my sister's pulled pork. She pulls off every ounce of fat from the pork tenderloin, then cooks it til it's totally dry and drowns it in barbeque sauce. I feel bad because she's proud of her concoction. I can't quite tell her that it's horrible. When I was in St Louis last time we had it 3 times. I made an excuse on the second reheating. It was horrible the first time, beyond horrible the 2nd time and probably unbearable the 3rd.

My mom used to make cube steaks that tasted like shoe leather. She was so proud of it. I finally told her to save the money and just make a hamburger (of course they were always well done, sort of like little dried out frisbies. :D

Articulate_Ape
11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, it smells disgusting. I've never tasted it . Once someone dropped it when taking it out of the oven and the smell was overpowering for the rest of the night. I almost vomited right there in my plate.

It's not put in the turkey...just cooked separate. She also makes some kind of jelloed sald. It tastes like macaroni salad that was put in a blender. The taste isn't bad, just the texture is icky. All her kids make a big fuss about how awful it is, so I tasted it. It wasn't as bad as they acted, but not something I would request.

I like oysters, but that sounds horrible!

Gingersnap
11-24-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't have a problem with mayo. I do have a problem with chicken wings. I don't eat chicken under-arms.

I don't eat hot wings. Ick. Baked wings in honey and soy sauce with garlic and ginger is something else altogether.

I'm no fan of pumpkin pie, either. Or fruit in stuffing.

SaintLouieWoman
11-24-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't eat hot wings. Ick. Baked wings in honey and soy sauce with garlic and ginger is something else altogether.

I'm no fan of pumpkin pie, either. Or fruit in stuffing.

You agree with SR. I always would chop a bit of apple into the stuffind and SR would complain. Finally he agreed it was alright, as long as I included the pork sausage that he wanted, plus the mushrooms.

That reminds me, I need to make a pumpkin pie tomorrow. :D

Rockntractor
11-24-2010, 09:55 PM
I also hate oyster stuffing. The worst is my sister's pulled pork. She pulls off every ounce of fat from the pork tenderloin, then cooks it til it's totally dry and drowns it in barbeque sauce. I feel bad because she's proud of her concoction. I can't quite tell her that it's horrible. When I was in St Louis last time we had it 3 times. I made an excuse on the second reheating. It was horrible the first time, beyond horrible the 2nd time and probably unbearable the 3rd.

My mom used to make cube steaks that tasted like shoe leather. She was so proud of it. I finally told her to save the money and just make a hamburger (of course they were always well done, sort of like little dried out frisbies. :D

If you remove all the fat from meat you remove half the flavor and are better off just eating vegetables.

Articulate_Ape
11-24-2010, 10:08 PM
If you remove all the fat from meat you remove half the flavor and are better off just eating vegetables.

You sound like you might be suffering from MD.

MD, or Mayonnaise Deficiency affects one out of every one million men. Luckily, there is new help in the form of Hellmans. Most men suffering from MD don't realize it until they start to see blood in their urine. Hellman's can reverse MD in most men, but you should consult your wife before trying this treatment. Some side effects include: swine flu, potato salad, and in rare cases death.

Ask your wife about Hellmans and whether it might be right for you.

Gingersnap
11-24-2010, 11:11 PM
You sound like you might be suffering from MD.

MD, or Mayonnaise Deficiency affects one out of every one million men. Luckily, there is new help in the form of Hellmans. Most men suffering from MD don't realize it until they start to see blood in their urine. Hellman's can reverse MD in most men, but you should consult your wife before trying this treatment. Some side effects include: swine flu, potato salad, and in rare cases death.

Ask your wife about Hellmans and whether it might be right for you.

If his wife is anything like my husband's wife, the answer is "No".

Rockntractor
11-24-2010, 11:18 PM
By the way, Miracle whip is watered down budget mayo, yuck ick blah phooey!

Calypso Jones
11-25-2010, 01:08 PM
well ANYthing lite is nothing but water added product. You can do THAT at home yourself.

SaintLouieWoman
11-25-2010, 06:50 PM
well ANYthing lite is nothing but water added product. You can do THAT at home yourself.
Plus generally the "lite" stuff has extra sodium in it to enhance the flavor. I've decided after comparing labels that it's generally not worth the savings in calories to get all the extra sugar and sodium they put in the so called lite foods.

Apache
11-25-2010, 08:12 PM

I knew there was a reason I liked you...:D