PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Teens Barred From Graduation for Displaying Confederate Flags on Pick-Ups

megimoo
06-05-2008, 06:09 PM
No Graduation Walk for Confederate Flag-Wavers
BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (WCCO) Flying the Confederate flag has long been controversial in Southern states but now it's causing a heated debate at Kennedy High School in Bloomington, Minn. Three seniors who displayed the flag will not be allowed to attend their graduation ceremony Wednesday evening. "It was sitting like that in the parking lot," said Justin Thompson, as he held a Confederate flag that was hanging from a pole inside a pick-up truck bed. On Tuesday, three seniors, each with a rebel flag on the back of their pick-ups, parked at Kennedy High School. "I'm just a country type...

www.twincities.com/minnesota/ci_9478839

xavierob82
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I never understood the people who fly that flag with pride. What, exactly, is there to be proud about? The fact that you supported an evil and wicked cause...and lost?

:confused:

LogansPapa
06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
"I'm just a country type...]

Which reminds me of........

But my favorite line of the interview is when Britney Spears addresses the incident of baby Sean Preston on her lap while driving: "I cant go anywhere without someone judging me. I did it with my dad. Id sit on his lap and I drive. Were country." Were country, yall!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Aklover
06-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I never understood the people who fly that flag with pride. What, exactly, is there to be proud about? The fact that you supported an evil and wicked cause...and lost?

Most who fly the flag do so to provoke, that said slavery was not the only cause of the divide back then.

megimoo
06-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Which reminds me of........

But my favorite line of the interview is when Britney Spears addresses the incident of baby Sean Preston on her lap while driving: "I cant go anywhere without someone judging me. I did it with my dad. Id sit on his lap and I drive. Were country." Were country, yall!!!!!!

:rolleyes:Are you perchance eyeball's daddy ?

noonwitch
06-06-2008, 08:29 AM
You can't exactly make the southern cultural heritage argument so much in Minnesota.

My guess is that the kids knew they were breaking the rules, and did it to be little punks. Let them get their diploma in the mail.

LogansPapa
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Are you perchance eyeball's daddy ?

:DBuuuaahaaahaa.....well, now that you ask - NO! ;)

Teetop
06-06-2008, 01:40 PM

http://www.thesouthernamerican.org/files/edger2.jpg

:D

It has everything to do with American history, not hate, IMO.

linda22003
06-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Since kids don't learn much history in school any more, has anyone pointed out to them that Minnesota is not a southern/confederate state?

Teetop
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Since kids don't learn much history in school any more, has anyone pointed out to them that Minnesota is not a southern/confederate state?

Prolly not. I lived in the liberal hell-hole of the Twin Citites for 12 years. I would guess anything to do with the Civil War would be off limits in the "PC" environment there.

LogansPapa
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Red-Neck wannabies - only in America. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a bunch of normal kids just looking to put a bug up the butt of the so-called establishment.

LibraryLady
06-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Seniors Dan Fredlin and Justin Thompson, both 18, and Joey Snyder, 17, were suspended and restricted from the diploma ceremony after arriving at John F. Kennedy High School in Bloomington, Minn., Tuesday with the flags affixed to their cars. One of the teens had a flag hoisted on a 20-foot flagpole attached to his truck.

School district officials say the students were "carrying and waving" the Confederate flags when they arrived at their last day of school, a violation of the school's code of conduct.

"What is not acceptable is driving through the parking lot and waving the Confederate flag for the purpose of inciting a response," Rick Kaufman, a spokesman for the Bloomington Public School district, told ABC News.

Sounds like these kids were asking for trouble.
They had some support though:

About 100 seniors, including black students, gathered Wednesday to protest the decision, chanting "Let them walk!" and wearing T-shirts that read the same in an appeal for class camaraderie.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=5005519&page=1