PDA

View Full Version : Top tech gifts: eReaders handy for more than reading

Gingersnap
11-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Top tech gifts: eReaders handy for more than reading
07:01 AM

This holiday season should be especially merry for book lovers. By most accounts, eReaders such as Amazon's Kindle, Barnes & Noble's Nook, and the Sony Reader will be among the top-selling gifts. Recipients can carry hundreds of books without needing a follow-up visit to a chiropractor.

But eReaders can be useful even for people who aren't in a bookish mood. Here are a few tricks many can play:

-- Collect recipes. Use your computer to access recipes on the Web and then store them on your eReader with help from a free library management program called Calibre. First you save the recipe page as an html file. Then you use the program to translate it to your eReader's digital format and send it to your device -- either via a USB connection or as an email.

You also can use Calibre to round up and format text from newspaper and magazine sites, and blogs, and send them to your eReader.

-- Check your calendar. This is easy if your device can access the Internet, as most new models do. Input or synch your appointments to a Web-based service such as Google Calendar, and then access it using the browser in your eReader.

While you're at it, you may be able to use the Web connection to check your email, find information on Wikipedia, and interact with sites offering flight schedules, driving directions, and news, sports, and weather.

USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/11/tech-gift-guide-ereaders-are-handy-even-if-you-arent-reading-a-book/1)

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Stupid Question because i know nothing of these things.

Can they also hold sound files? (MP3 music, etc.)

Rockntractor
11-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Stupid Question because i know nothing of these things.

Can they also hold sound files? (MP3 music, etc.)

Some of them can.

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Some of them can.

Nice. I'd like a device that could hold text and sound files.

Rockntractor
11-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Nice. I'd like a device that could hold text and sound files.

When I get a chance i will send you some links. You can start by looking on buy.com

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2010, 01:08 PM
When I get a chance i will send you some links. You can start by looking on buy.com

Nice. Thanks. :)

Gingersnap
11-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I usually receive shiny things or guns for Christmas but I'm thinking of asking for a wi-fi Kindle. A friend has one and it's awesome.

bijou
11-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I usually receive shiny things or guns for Christmas but I'm thinking of asking for a wi-fi Kindle. A friend has one and it's awesome.

I have the 3G/wi-fi kindle. It's great, there are tons of free books available, currently I am reading Dracula and the I'll continue working my way through the Sherlock Holmes oeuvre.

SarasotaRepub
11-30-2010, 07:01 AM
I have the 3G/wi-fi kindle. It's great, there are tons of free books available, currently I am reading Dracula and the I'll continue working my way through the Sherlock Holmes oeuvre.

That's good to know bijou. SLW is getting me one for Christmas. I should know, I just ordered it last night. :D

SaintLouieWoman
11-30-2010, 07:43 AM
That's good to know bijou. SLW is getting me one for Christmas. I should know, I just ordered it last night. :D

It's so hard to hear a grown man whine about what he wants for Christmas. Now he's a happy man, but he's not going to get to use it til Christmas. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a Christmas present. :D

(I have to confess, I set the precedent.) I saw a couple things on sale at very, very low prices and bought one of them and pointed the other one out to SR. They're put away til Christmas, hidden away somewhere. I just hope SR finds them on Christmas Eve in whatever secret hiding place he stashed them.

fettpett
11-30-2010, 09:26 AM
It's so hard to hear a grown man whine about what he wants for Christmas. Now he's a happy man, but he's not going to get to use it til Christmas. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a Christmas present. :D

(I have to confess, I set the precedent.) I saw a couple things on sale at very, very low prices and bought one of them and pointed the other one out to SR. They're put away til Christmas, hidden away somewhere. I just hope SR finds them on Christmas Eve in whatever secret hiding place he stashed them.

down side of having a new house/old age....can't remember where all the nooks and carnies are :D

SarasotaRepub
12-03-2010, 07:21 PM
WOOT!!! The Kindle came today! :D

Of course, I had to open the box and check if the unit works...

It does!:D

I ordered 5 books today and they all downloaded as soon as I turned it on. Tech is greyt!!!! The books were all Star Wars short storys and they cost me a
total of------------0.00. :cool:

The stories are about the Sith. :D

SaintLouieWoman
12-03-2010, 08:12 PM
WOOT!!! The Kindle came today!
Of course, I had to open the box and check if the unit works...

It does!:D

I ordered 5 books today and they all downloaded as soon as I turned it on. Tech is greyt!!!! The books were all Star Wars short storys and they cost me a
total of------------0.00. :cool:

The stories are about the Sith.
This is his Christmas present!! :rolleyes:

I should have put it away before he got home. The agreement was he'd wait til Christmas. And how old is he? Two? :D

SarasotaRepub
12-03-2010, 08:22 PM
This is his Christmas present!! :rolleyes:

I should have put it away before he got home. The agreement was he'd wait til Christmas. And how old is he? Two? :D

My Dear, I had to make sure it wasn't DOA.

I'll put it back in the box as soon as it's fully charged. Maybe...:D

ironhorsedriver
12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I've had a Kindle for 6 months. Love the thing. My next one will be the nook, got color. Then even my magazine subscriptions will be on it.

Gingersnap
12-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Everybody who has the Kindle seems to just adore it.

SarasotaRepub
12-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Everybody who has the Kindle seems to just adore it.

I know I do!!! Err...I mean when I get it later this month.:D

Zafod
12-06-2010, 12:06 PM
I have the HTC evo 4G phone and it comes with kindle software. All the books I purchased are available on my phone. I sold my kindle and solely use my phone for my ereader.

SaintLouieWoman
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I know I do!!! Err...I mean when I get it later this month.:D
He's not going to have much under the tree for Christmas. He was playing with the kindle so much, I said just don't bother to wait for Christmas, use sit now. :D

Rockntractor
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
He's not going to have much under the tree for Christmas. He was playing with the kindle so much, I said just don't bother to wait for Christmas, use sit now. :D
I noticed he has a slick new avatar!:D