PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday Thread

linda22003
11-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Drizzly and cool in the DC area, a sleepy day to follow Thanksgiving.

TOTD: Black Friday. Do you participate in the hype? Have you ever? I never have and never will. Christmas shopping can be so easy - a comfortable chair, bourbon on the rocks, a telephone or computer, and a pile of catalogs with turned back pages. Drink and dial; Christmas is done.

djones520
11-26-2010, 08:10 AM
TOTD: Used to work at Taco Bell in the mall. Worked a Black Friday once, was pretty crazy. I don't really do any Black Friday shopping though.

linda22003
11-26-2010, 08:14 AM
OMG. I'm just picturing a lot of people eating at Taco Bell in a mall.... and SUDDENLY needing a bathroom ALL at the same time. :eek:

Thor
11-26-2010, 09:02 AM
OMG. I'm just picturing a lot of people eating at Taco Bell in a mall.... and SUDDENLY needing a bathroom ALL at the same time. :eek:

Poor bathrooms...... especially after yesterday !! :eek:

bijou
11-26-2010, 09:18 AM
We don't have Black Friday here, but I have been following the Amazon Black Friday promotion, some great prices but sadly nothing I really need (or even want so far). :(

Rockntractor
11-26-2010, 09:37 AM
I do Black Friday sales on line, everybody has them.

Kay
11-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I do the online Cyber Monday sales sometimes to order for Christmas.
I have never participated in the Black Friday rituals. I can't think of anything
I've ever needed or wanted bad enough to get up at 4:00 am and go stand
in line for then get run over by a bunch of bargain shoppers.

NJCardFan
11-26-2010, 10:42 AM
There is nothing I want that bad that I'm willing to get up at 2am or wait in line like I'm getting concert tickets for.

Gingersnap
11-26-2010, 11:34 AM
It should be warmer today. I'm waiting for a highly important UPS delivery.

TOTD: Nope, never have and probably never will. I also do the majority of my shopping online as needed. I hate recreational shopping and will only do it with the BFF if she promises drinks. I can mall crawl for a maximum of 2 hours before needing to flee.

When I do venture out to shop, I have a battle plan with with both strategic and tactical goals, a timeline, fallback points, and a surrender plan. :eek:

Apache
11-26-2010, 11:48 AM
A pox on Black Friday :mad:

My mom used to drag me and my brother out for those. When I got old enough to say no, I said it.

Tecate
11-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm actually planning an alternate route home later today to avoid the bottleneck on IH35 near the outlet mall exit in San Marcos. Usually, they have police directing traffic in and out of that place every year on black Friday. So I'll be using the back roads to get home today.

SaintLouieWoman
11-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I do the online Cyber Monday sales sometimes to order for Christmas.
I have never participated in the Black Friday rituals. I can't think of anything
I've ever needed or wanted bad enough to get up at 4:00 am and go stand
in line for then get run over by a bunch of bargain shoppers.

I'm waiting til Monday to order something SR wants for Christmas. I did a limited participation today. There's no way that I'd get up at 2 or 4 to go shopping and be pushed by the mad horde.

But I did get to Macy's around 8am, looking for one Spode Christmas Tree pattern plate. We'll have 6 for Christmas dinner and I have 5 plates. Naturally they were out of the single plates, so I grabbed the last box of 4. I got them for half off, then used a $10 off coupon, so took it from $124 for 4 plates down to $52. I'm keeping the receipt in case I see one of the single plates at an outlet store, but not going to waste much time hunting it down.

The surprise was at Home Depot. They had some good advertised specials, but I wasn't going to brave that crowd either I stopped by there around 10:30 and was amazed that I still got a wet dry vac for only $28. We've had leaking problems in the past with the AC in the attic. We'll probably never use it, hopefully, but I thought it was cheap insurance.

Also found a dremel on sale for only $48. It was one of the early am specials.

Soooo, I'm concluding that the economy isn't as recovering as the Obama folks would like us to believe. Normally you'd never still find super specials hanging around later in the am.

linda22003
11-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm waiting til Monday to order something SR wants for Christmas.

I didn't even know Star Wars sheets CAME in king size.

SaintLouieWoman
11-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I didn't even know Star Wars sheets CAME in king size.

OMG, he's NOT getting that. I have just so much patience and Vader sheets just don't quite fit into the decorating theme around here. :D

Calypso Jones
11-26-2010, 01:16 PM
My mom and i did it a couple times. THAT was it. NEVER do i go out of black Friday. And after T'day i don't even go to town on a weekend. UNLESS it is directly after church on a sunday morning and then only for an hour.

CueSi
11-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I have worked two black Fridays when I was a Sales Associate at Godiva and shopped once, because the mall was down the street from the club.

As a worker: Oh christ, I hated it. Getting up at 3, to be at the mall by 4. Black Friday goes at two speeds...dead.ass.slow, and ohmaigawdsomeonebuildadamtostemtheflowoftheseassho les! I actually got paid during one of those days, and I did some shopping on my own. I admit working the 5am-1pm shift was better. The early crowd was pretty nice and mostly just wanted hot chocolate to brace them. The later shift . . .no thanks.

As a shopper, it was pretty fun.The owner of the club let me keep my car in the parking lot since it was a short walk, during the day in a good neighborhood. I and two other dancers made a trip of it. I got maybe $580 worth of stuff for $300.I was the cheap one of the group. I admit it was fun doing it with cash. No bills to worry about, just shell it out and move on.

This year I needed a new laptop. I bought it the day before Thanksgiving. Why spend all the time in line at Best Buy ? F*ck that.

~QC

Bubba Dawg
11-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Cool and overcast here. We had 1/4 inch rain last night. Temps in the 20's overnight and tomorrow.

I don't participate. I went to Walmart to get groceries this afternoon. It really wasn't very crowded. They had extra cashiers and I didn't even have to wait in line at the check out.

Thor
11-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I took advantage of some stuff that Newegg had on sale early this morning.

m00
11-26-2010, 11:58 PM
I've eaten at a TGIFriday's in a Black neighborhood. Does that count? :p

Rockntractor
11-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I took advantage of some stuff that Newegg had on sale early this morning.

Buy.com and Amazon had some good deals too. Dino direct has the whole website 50% off for the next week.

RobJohnson
11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I do Black Friday sales on line, everybody has them.

Home Depot had the same things in the Black Friday Ad online Thursday, same price and free shipping...

Most people in my town head for Vegas so I shopped locally and picked up a couple really good deals..

16 gal 5 HP ShopVac $29.00

6.5 HP self propelled push mower with big wheels in back and front wheel drive. Kohler engine $199 assembled...

I didn't go early, but even wal mart still had plenty of sale items left after lunch...

I came home just in time, had a flood in the back yard...cracked irrigation pipe, at one time it was covered with dirt, but with recent tree removal and stump grinding & grading stuff happens....I think it froze the night before...