PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Obama's Teleprompter Departs White House

Odysseus
11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
In a warm, emotional address in the East Room of the White House on Friday, President Obama announced the departure of his chief of communications, his Cyberdyne T1000 teleprompter, who is relocating to Chicago in order to spend more time with his family in the Radio Shack in the lobby of the Sears Tower. In his place, the president named a bundle of post-it notes, 3X5" index cards and a guy with a magic marker and a butcher block, who will act as interim chief of communications, until a permanent replacement is found -- though the administration is not ruling out the possibility that the T-1000, or "Prompty" would return.

Obama characterized Prompty's departure "bittersweet" and was full of praise for his outgoing chief of communications, saying he was an "incomparable reading aid . . . who we will miss very much," a machine with "an unmatched level of energy, including a steady battery backup, and large, highly readable fontst."

Following the president's remarks, Prompty thanked the president for his "friendship" and the "opportunity to serve" his country. Prompty's fonts softened from Arial to Times New Roman, lapsing into Comic Sans as he became somewhat choked up discussed discussed the legacy of the American dream, and his own model's pursuit of it. He praised Obama for being "a good reader" and having "guts" in reading "tough statements" to save the country from mediocre rhetoricl.

From the pomp and circumstance accorded his departure, it is clear that the president considers the loss of Prompty significant. (Other senior staff members, including outgoing Budget Director Peter Orzsag, and senior economic advisers Christina Rohmer and Larry Summers, were not accorded presidential remarks when they announced their departure, much less self-contained battery packs).

The president commented on the closeness of their relationship, saying, "For two years I have begun my workday with Prompty. And for two years, I have ended my day with Prompty."

But the president made clear his confidence in the T-1000's replacement. saying that the cue cards, post its and butcher block represent a "skillful set of problem solvers -- and the good news is that we have plenty of problems to solve." The president became emotionally distraught, and had to read from Prompty to continue.

On Thursday, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs pointed out the unique relationship that Obama shares with Prompty, saying: "There's a complete loyalty and trust with somebody like Prompty. His strategic legibility and steady data stream has played a big part of the direction of virtually every big decision that's made inside of this White House."