PDA

View Full Version : Feds: Somali-born teen plotted car-bombing in Oregon

Constitutionally Speaking
11-27-2010, 05:31 AM
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20101127&Category=NEWS07&ArtNo=101127004&Ref=AR&Profile=1320&MaxW=320&MaxH=300&Q=100&mime=jpeg

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A Somali-born teenager plotted to carry out a car bomb attack at a crowded Christmas tree lighting ceremony in downtown Portland on Friday, but the bomb turned out to be a dud supplied by undercover agents as part of a sting, federal prosecutors said.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was arrested at 5:40 p.m. just after he dialed a cell phone that he thought would blow up a van laden with explosives but instead brought federal agents and Portland police swooping in to take him into custody.

He yelled "Allahu Akhkbar" and tried to kick agents and police as the arrest came, according to prosecutors.

Mohamud, a naturalized U.S. citizen living in Corvallis, was charged with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. He's scheduled for a court appearance Monday.

"This defendant's chilling determination is a stark reminder that there are people -- even here in Oregon -- who are determined to kill Americans," U.S. Attorney Dwight Holton said. "We have no reason to believe there is any continuing threat arising from this case."

Read more: Feds: Somali-born teen plotted car-bombing in Oregon | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101127/NEWS07/101127004/Feds-Somali-born-teen-plotted-car-bombing-in-Oregon#ixzz16TffsQbD

http://www.freep.com/article/20101127/NEWS07/101127004/1320/Feds-Somali-born-teen-plotted-car-bombing-

hampshirebrit
11-27-2010, 08:21 AM
He yelled "Allahu Akhkbar"

:rolleyes:

These dickheads really need some new lyrics.

Not often I say this, but well done FBI for stopping this one.

Odysseus
11-27-2010, 11:04 AM
:rolleyes:

These dickheads really need some new lyrics.

Not often I say this, but well done FBI for stopping this one.

Agreed. But there will be many more of these attacks. We cannot win by simply treating them as isolated criminal incidents. He has a family in Somalia, and the one thing that the jihadis care about besides Islam is family honor. We need to start targeting families and clans.

hampshirebrit
11-27-2010, 11:12 AM
We need to start targeting families and clans.

That's some nasty shit, but you are right, it is coming to that.

I guess we need to start pondering how far down that road we (and indeed, they) are prepared to go.

Gingersnap
11-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Damn Scandihoovian Lutherans......oh, wait.

SaintLouieWoman
11-27-2010, 11:19 AM
He'd probably breeze through the screening by the TSA agents. Political correctness. you know. On the other hand, for years I've been patted down by them because of my artificial knee setting off the metal detector. We can't do that awful racial profiling. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
11-27-2010, 11:28 AM
He'd probably breeze through the screening by the TSA agents. Political correctness. you know. On the other hand, for years I've been patted down by them because of my artificial knee setting off the metal detector. We can't do that awful racial profiling. :rolleyes:

They only search the really hot woman!:D

SarasotaRepub
11-27-2010, 12:15 PM
What a kute widdle POS!!!

One way ticket to Gitmo...

m00
11-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Nah, I'm sure Obama has a cabinet level position for him. Misunderstood Islamic Youth Czar.

NJCardFan
11-27-2010, 12:43 PM
OK, let's keep score:

Arkansas recruitment shooting-Black converted Muslim.

Ft. Hood shooting-An American born Jordanian Muslim

Times Square bomber-Pakistani Muslim

Underwear bomber-Nigerian Muslim

Washington subway bomber-Pakistani Muslim

Portland bomber-Somali Muslim

Sure looks like there's reasons to grope nuns and strip search little white boys at airports, huh?:rolleyes:

lacarnut
11-27-2010, 01:42 PM

I would like to see him sent to a military prison but not Gitmo. Put him in there with Americans so that his ass can get kicked and poked on a regular basis.

3rd-try
11-27-2010, 05:42 PM
OK, let's keep score:

Sure looks like there's reasons to grope nuns and strip search little white boys at airports, huh?:rolleyes:

I think you're forgetting grandmothers from the Nebraska area...

Odysseus
11-27-2010, 07:39 PM
That's some nasty shit, but you are right, it is coming to that.

I guess we need to start pondering how far down that road we (and indeed, they) are prepared to go.
Hint: 9/11 was as far as they were able to go. How far are they prepared to go? Iran is building nuclear weapons and finances terrorist groups that operate throughout the world. I'd say that's a pretty solid indicator of intent.

The only reason that I would agree to shut down Gitmo would be to build a real camp, one that doesn't have culturally sensitive ablution units for pre-prayer rituals, markings on the floor that point to Mecca, Halal meals, ACLU lawyers, libraries, cable TV, high-end medical services, exercise equipment and rubber gloves so that guards don't accidentally desecrate a Qur'an by touching it with their filthy infidel mitts. Put them in open cell blocks with individual cells that are blocked by bars, no TV, no media, no books and no entertainment. Let them contemplate their stupidity 24/7. The diet should consist of Twinkies, Sara Lee poundcake and Jimmy Dean sausages (pork), and no exercise equipment. If they can find their private parts under the rolls of fat, then they can fantasize about the 72 virgins, but otherwise, they need to be kept unhealthy, bored and miserable, and that includes the knowledge that they are eating pork, bacon and a whole bunch of other foods that will damn them for all eternity. Anyone who objects to that can watch the Daniel Pearl and Nick Berg beheading videos and the Fallujah mob murders of the contractors and subsequent violation of the corpses over and over, until they get the point that we're still treating them better than they treat the people that they capture.

OK, let's keep score:

There are, but they have nothing to do with security. Obama and Holder just don't like us very much, and they have no problem subjecting us to repeated indignities instead of protecting us from harm.

Rockntractor
11-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Hint: 9/11 was as far as they were able to go. How far are they prepared to go? Iran is building nuclear weapons and finances terrorist groups that operate throughout the world. I'd say that's a pretty solid indicator of intent.

The only reason that I would agree to shut down Gitmo would be to build a real camp, one that doesn't have culturally sensitive ablution units for pre-prayer rituals, markings on the floor that point to Mecca, Halal meals, ACLU lawyers, libraries, cable TV, high-end medical services, exercise equipment and rubber gloves so that guards don't accidentally desecrate a Qur'an by touching it with their filthy infidel mitts. Put them in open cell blocks with individual cells that are blocked by bars, no TV, no media, no books and no entertainment. Let them contemplate their stupidity 24/7. The diet should consist of Twinkies, Sara Lee poundcake and Jimmy Dean sausages (pork), and no exercise equipment. If they can find their private parts under the rolls of fat, then they can fantasize about the 72 virgins, but otherwise, they need to be kept unhealthy, bored and miserable, and that includes the knowledge that they are eating pork, bacon and a whole bunch of other foods that will damn them for all eternity. Anyone who objects to that can watch the Daniel Pearl and Nick Berg beheading videos and the Fallujah mob murders of the contractors and subsequent violation of the corpses over and over, until they get the point that we're still treating them better than they treat the people that they capture.

There are, but they have nothing to do with security. Obama and Holder just don't like us very much, and they have no problem subjecting us to repeated indignities instead of protecting us from harm.
I would include a television with a looped tape of Rosey O'Donnell's finest moments and put it on the other side of the bars where they can't shut it off!

AmPat
11-27-2010, 08:16 PM
When can we execute him?

hampshirebrit
11-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Bravo, and I agree.

Sadly that is far removed from the sentiments of the Jewish and Christian leaders when faced with the quandry, first of how to deal with Salman Rushdie's supposed blasphemy for the Satanic Verses and then for the later sin of the Danish cartoons.

As I recall, both the Christians and the Jews ran for the hills on both occasions, content to state only that Salman and the Jyllands Posten should not have dared to publish what they published.

Shame on them. Shame on both of them.

Shame that it takes us atheists to resist such bullshit, when you believers will not.

Odysseus
11-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Bravo, and I agree.

Sadly that is far removed from the sentiments of the Jewish and Christian leaders when faced with the quandry, first of how to deal with Salman Rushdie's supposed blasphemy for the Satanic Verses and then for the later sin of the Danish cartoons.

As I recall, both the Christians and the Jews ran for the hills on both occasions, content to state only that Salman and the Jyllands Posten should not have dared to publish what they published.

Shame on them. Shame on both of them.

Shame that it takes us atheists to resist such bullshit, when you believers will not.

It's not the Jewish and Christian leaders who ran like hell, it was our political and media elites.

hampshirebrit
11-27-2010, 10:00 PM
It's not the Jewish and Christian leaders who ran like hell, it was our political and media elites.

With respect to you, Major, it was one and the same that ran, religious and political, like hell.

Neither your rabbis or my priests conducted themselves in either debacle at all well. They had their say, and they did not do well at all when they confessed to the righteousness of the case for going against Salman.

As we are both atheists, or at least agnostics, I'm presuming we will agree on this one.

Odysseus
11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
With respect to you, Major, it was one and the same that ran, religious and political, like hell.

Neither your rabbis or my priests conducted themselves in either debacle at all well. They had their say, and they did not do well at all when they confessed to the righteousness of the case for going against Salman.

As we are both atheists, or at least agnostics, I'm presuming we will agree on this one.

I'd have to see specifics. I do recall that the media was particularly gutless in dealing with the threat, but if I remember correctly, Thatcher was PM when it happened, and she immediately put him under protection and denounced the fatwa.

On a personal note, my rabbi is an Army Chaplain. He's got no illusions as to the nature of the threat. But, I agree that the mainstream churches and synagogues were, at best, AWOL.

NJCardFan
11-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I'd have to see specifics. I do recall that the media was particularly gutless in dealing with the threat, but if I remember correctly, Thatcher was PM when it happened, and she immediately put him under protection and denounced the fatwa.

On a personal note, my rabbi is an Army Chaplain. He's got no illusions as to the nature of the threat. But, I agree that the mainstream churches and synagogues were, at best, AWOL.

Can't say the same for Cat Stevens.

AmPat
11-28-2010, 08:22 PM

I believe you are confusing two groups; organized religion, specifically Catholic and Judaism, and the rest of the non-aligned Christian groups. Neither speak for Christians. Christians outside of these two blocks have no voice.

Odysseus
11-28-2010, 09:44 PM
A couple of interesting observations about this guy, and the response:

November 28, 2010
Obama and 'Domestic Spying'
letter to the editor

I noticed that the Oregon Christmas Tree bomber was caught using "domestic spying."

They caught him by intercepting his emails. The Obama Administration's own "domestic spying."

I thought the evil Dick Cheney was in a secure room somewhere reading everyone's emails. At that time it was the greatest crime since the founding.
The Obama Administration, domestic spying.

I thought this was one of the greatest crimes committed since the founding when the Bush admininstration did it.

And yet, I hear crickets.

November 28, 2010
Ignoring Obama edict, FBI says Portland plot inspired by 'jihad'
David Paulin

Has the FBI jumped off the Obama administration's political correctness bandwagon? Well, the FBI's Portland office apparently has.

Under the Obama administration, certain words that help us describe our enemies are verboten. For instance, the State Department and Department of Homeland Security are banned from using "jihad" and "mujahideen" with reference to Islamic terrorism. It's all part of an effort to avoid offending the Muslim world.

Yet in a press release about the aborted Portland terror attack, the FBI repeatedly uses the "J" word (jihad) to describe what inspired Somali-born Mohamed Osman Mohamud, a naturalized U.S. Citizen who was arrested in the plot. Mohamud, 19, allegedly wanted to blow up an explosives-packed van near a Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square. Mohamud was on the receiving end of a sting operation, so nobody was ever in any danger.

What set him off?

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has refused to use the term "radical Islam" to describe the ideology of Muslims who want to kill Westerners and destroy the West. Yet in its press release, the FBI is clear about what motivated Mohamud. It uses the verboten "J" word four times to describe what motivated Mohamud to set out to murder American moms, dads, and their children enjoying Portland's Christmas festivities.

"Cognitive dissonance" describes what's happening here -- the peculiar state of holding two conflicting concepts in one's mind at the same time. Obviously, the FBI couldn't avoid the politically incorrect "J" word when Mohamud himself used it to describe what was motivating him. Or as the FBI says: "Mohamud allegedly told undercover FBI operatives he had been thinking of committing violent jihad since the age of 15."

Not only that, the FBI noted that Mohamud had "written articles that were published in Jihad Recollections, an online magazine that advocated violent jihad."

What must Eric Holder think of all this? (Hat Tip: Gates of Vienna)

In case you missed it, here is a YouTube video of Holder explaining why he refuses to use the term "radical Islam":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HOQt_mP6Pgg

The FBI affidavit that outlined the investigation alleges that Mohamud planned the attack for months, at one point mailing bomb components to FBI operatives, whom he believed were assembling the device.

It said Mohamud was warned several times about the seriousness of his plan, that women and children could be killed, and that he could back out, but he told agents: “Since I was 15 I thought about all this;” and “It’s gonna be a fireworks show … a spectacular show.”

Mohamud, a naturalized U.S. citizen living in Corvallis, was charged with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. A court appearance was set for Monday. Few details were available about him late Friday.

Authorities allowed the plot to proceed in order to build up enough evidence to charge the suspect with attempt.

Officials didn’t say if the suspect had any ties to other Americans recently accused of trying to carry out attacks on U.S. soil, including alleged efforts in May by a Pakistan-born man to set off a car bomb near Times Square or another Pakistan-born Virginia resident accused last month in a bomb plot to kill commuters.

So, just so that there is no confusion, this guy wanted to kill women and children at a Christmas Tree lighting, had fantasized about jihad since he was fifteen, his motivation was violent Islamic jihad, he had been in contact with jihadis in Pakistan and, he was caught through the kind of interception of electronic communications that the left, including Barack Obama and Eric Holder, routinely denounced as invasions of civil liberties, with nary a peep from their peeps this time.

m00
11-28-2010, 10:48 PM
A couple of interesting observations about this guy, and the response:

So, just so that there is no confusion, this guy wanted to kill women and children at a Christmas Tree lighting, had fantasized about jihad since he was fifteen, his motivation was violent Islamic jihad, he had been in contact with jihadis in Pakistan and, he was caught through the kind of interception of electronic communications that the left, including Barack Obama and Eric Holder, routinely denounced as invasions of civil liberties, with nary a peep from their peeps this time.

Actually, Obama has done quite a lot to expand electronic surveillance.

Odysseus
11-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Actually, Obama has done quite a lot to expand electronic surveillance.

I'm not objecting to the policy. I'm all for intercepts of foreign communications, and I am also of the opinion that they are perfectly legal, as are customs searches at borders and code breaking (Venona, Purple, JN-35 and Carnivore were all peacetime operations). What I object to is the hypocrisy of the people who ranted and raved about the horrible curtailment of civil liberties under Bush, but who are silent or laudatory when Obama pursues the same policies.

m00
11-28-2010, 11:35 PM
What I object to is the hypocrisy of the people who ranted and raved about the horrible curtailment of civil liberties under Bush, but who are silent or laudatory when Obama pursues the same policies.

Oh, rest assured I've been ranting and raving under both administrations. :D