PDA

View Full Version : Social Security

CaughtintheMiddle1990
11-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey

Disagree or agree with this, and I'm not sure on this and that's why I'm posting it here--for debate--
But I heard someone say that Social Security isn't really an ''entitlement'' in the way that say, Food Stamps or Welfare, are because you actually pay into it--So in essence, it's not something you get for nothing.

Also, I heard that if Social Security wasn't put into the General Fund back in the 1960s, it wouldn't have the money problems it does today--That the problems it has today are from politics raping the trust fund.

And lastly, I heard that SS was originally supposed to be a supplement to someone's retirement--It wasn't meant to be a person's entire retirement fund.

Are all these true?

Rockntractor
11-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey

Disagree or agree with this, and I'm not sure on this and that's why I'm posting it here--for debate--
But I heard someone say that Social Security isn't really an ''entitlement'' in the way that say, Food Stamps or Welfare, are because you actually pay into it--So in essence, it's not something you get for nothing.

Also, I heard that if Social Security wasn't put into the General Fund back in the 1960s, it wouldn't have the money problems it does today--That the problems it has today are from politics raping the trust fund.

And lastly, I heard that SS was originally supposed to be a supplement to someone's retirement--It wasn't meant to be a person's entire retirement fund.

Are all these true?

It was when they started using the fund for disability that it became a form of welfare.

NJCardFan
11-28-2010, 09:23 PM
That's pretty much true.