PDA

View Full Version : DUmmies exhibit more class envy

djones520
11-29-2010, 12:53 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9646363

Blackhatjack (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:06 PM
Original message
What some tip a valet to park their car($20) would have fed 10 people on Thanksgiving Day...
Advertisements [?]Some of our local shelters were asking for contributions of $2 to feed one person on Thanksgiving Day.

And some of our wealthiest citizens waste 10 times that amount to have their cars parked for them. But they insist on receiving tax cuts they don't need and won't spend. And they refuse to help those unemployed, many homeless, and lots with children.

What is wrong with this picture?

I just don't understand how there could be such a lack of compassion.

Drale (983 posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:09 PM
Response to Original message
2. We can never understand
I don't know about you guys but when I see someone suffering it hurts me, but they feel no such pain. In fact I suspect that more then a few of them would laugh at another's pain. That is one of the big differences between us and them.

sweetapogee (154 posts) Sun Nov-28-10 11:45 PM
Response to Reply #3
17. about
10 years ago my niece by hit by a car in upstate NY. She spent 3 weeks in intensive care then was transferred to Shriner's in Phili. where she spent 3 months. Three surgeries, doctor flown in each time from Germany. No cost, no bills to my brother and his wife. In the lobby of the hospital there are plaque's representing individual million dollar donations, some are 5 and even 10 million. My point, some people that have money do good with it.

I bet the alert button got slammed on this freeper troll.

wtmusic (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:17 PM
4. Waste? Valets aren't exactly top wage-earners either. nt

GKirk (155 posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:28 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. That was pretty much
what I thought when I read the original post. It kept a couple of valets out of the unemployment line for a little bit.

flvegan (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:26 PM
5. Some of our non-wealthiest "waste" that much on going to the movies.
I see the point you're making, it just doesn't resonate well with me. 20 bucks is 20 bucks. An individual making $200k/year isn't remotely close to "our wealthiest citizens" but are rather just doing a bit better than most of us (depending on where they live).

That said, I agree that it is a shame that more folks with means aren't more charitable. I know a good number are, but a good number aren't.

Hannah Bell (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:35 PM
Response to Reply #5
11. people making $200K a year aren't "just doing a bit better than most of us".
they're the top 5%.

median personal income in 2005 for workers (excluding people on social programs) was about $28K.

so an individual making $200K is doing SEVEN TIMES BETTER or more than every individual from the middle on down.

they're not "our wealthiest," but they're the top of the upper middle class or the bottom of the "wealthiest".

flvegan (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:38 PM
Response to Reply #11
12. ...and you skim over the "depending on where they live" as usual.
Not that I'm terribly shocked, considering.

JVS (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 11:47 PM
Response to Reply #12
18. $200k is doing fine anywhere.

flvegan (1000+ posts) Mon Nov-29-10 12:36 AM
Response to Reply #18
22. Define "doing fine" please.
Be articulate.

Lots of stupid.

m00
11-29-2010, 02:09 AM
I'll say this, 200k/yr ain't a whole lot when you need to worry about providing for a family and saving for retirement. Plus any kids going to college...

NJCardFan
11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I like this person's thinking:

flvegan (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-28-10 10:26 PM
5. Some of our non-wealthiest "waste" that much on going to the movies.
I see the point you're making, it just doesn't resonate well with me. 20 bucks is 20 bucks. An individual making $200k/year isn't remotely close to "our wealthiest citizens" but are rather just doing a bit better than most of us (depending on where they live).

That said, I agree that it is a shame that more folks with means aren't more charitable. I know a good number are, but a good number aren't.

Good point. For starters, who tips a valet $20? And doesn't that tip go into the valet's pocket? Isn't that part of his or her income? Amazing. 2nd, the guy I quoted speaks the truth. These people lambaste anyone making $200K a year but are all gaga over people who make $24 million per movie and don't bat an eye forking over the $12 it cost to go see said movie. Now that's waste. But here's the thing, do they realize that people actually both tip valet's and donate to charitable organizations? It's funny how they like to dictate to other people how they should spend their money but tell them how to spend theirs and they'll tell you to mind your own business. And I love the "lack of compassion" comment. I guess these idiots don't realize that the most compassionate people on earth are Christians. A group that they hate with a blind passion.

noonwitch
11-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I like this person's thinking:

Good point. For starters, who tips a valet $20? And doesn't that tip go into the valet's pocket? Isn't that part of his or her income? Amazing. 2nd, the guy I quoted speaks the truth. These people lambaste anyone making $200K a year but are all gaga over people who make $24 million per movie and don't bat an eye forking over the $12 it cost to go see said movie. Now that's waste. But here's the thing, do they realize that people actually both tip valet's and donate to charitable organizations? It's funny how they like to dictate to other people how they should spend their money but tell them how to spend theirs and they'll tell you to mind your own business. And I love the "lack of compassion" comment. I guess these idiots don't realize that the most compassionate people on earth are Christians. A group that they hate with a blind passion.

Maybe on Christmas, I might give a larger tip than on any other day. I tipped a waiter $30 once on Christmas Eve, because he gave good service and it was the holiday.

The same guy who tipped the valet $20 may have donated a lot more than $2 to the local food pantry. You never know.

Zafod
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I wonder if any of those dummies work for tips and if they do I wonder if they feel the same way when they recieve a large tip? Do they bitch about getting a large tip? Do they donate those tips? my guess is no. How would they pay for their selfish weed habit....

Gingersnap
11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
The same guy who tipped the valet $20 may have donated a lot more than $2 to the local food pantry. You never know.

In fact, it's likely. Generosity is a personality trait as well as a personal goal. Generous people tend to be generous throughout their lives, not only in a few narrow areas.

What I really hate about this argument is how 3rd grade it is. The implicit assumption is that if you don't tip $20 bucks, you will send that particular $20 bucks to Bob's Homeless Shelter. Not so much. You'll just spend it on something else or save it.

It's like your mother trying to tie your dinner table habits into starving kids in Africa. If that argument didn't resonate with gradeschoolers, why would it work on adults?

Beefeater
11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Olberdork is on a 7 million dollar contract and he's known to be a notoriously lousy tipper, as well as a dud in the sack.

Madisonian
11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
I wonder if any of those dummies work for tips and if they do I wonder if they feel the same way when they recieve a large tip? Do they bitch about getting a large tip? Do they donate those tips? my guess is no. How would they pay for their selfish weed habit....

Doesn't this presume that dummies actually work?
Somehow from what I have read over at the DUmpster, few of them actually have productive employment. By that I mean jobs that contribute positively to the GDP as opposed to government jobs or government handouts.

Yes, most of them would be appalled at someone handing out a $20 tip yet expect someone to just hand over a $20 to someone standing on a street corner holding a "Will say I will work for food, but really just want your cash" sign.