PDA

View Full Version : Are You Offended by 'Happy Holidays' Instead of 'Merry Christmas'?

megimoo
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Are You Offended by 'Happy Holidays' Instead of 'Merry Christmas'?

"Happy Holidays" doesn't cut it. "Happy Holidays" just rings too PC, it sounds like resignation. Like someone says it just to say something.

Take the poll !

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/todaysbuzz/monday/sfl-happy-holidays-buzz-poll-11292010,0,1074654,post.poll

Rockntractor
11-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm offended by people constantly being offended by things both offensive and non offensive and wish these offenders would cease to offend me!

Gingersnap
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I prefer people to say what they mean. If somebody wishes me a "Happy Hanuka", I'm down with that. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about "Happy Dewali" or whatever. The kind of places I shop at for some things have a high pagan percentage in the workforce and "Happy Mabon" or "Happy Solstice" doesn't bother me a bit.

But "Happy Holidays" is so insipid.

marv
11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
"Happy (fill in the blank) is offensive to me if it's done just to be politically correct.

linda22003
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
No. I think a lot of people just enjoy LOOKING for things to be offended about.

Odysseus
11-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm offended by people constantly being offended by things both offensive and non offensive and wish these offenders would cease to offend me!
I find that offensive. :D

I prefer people to say what they mean. If somebody wishes me a "Happy Hanuka", I'm down with that. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about "Happy Dewali" or whatever. The kind of places I shop at for some things have a high pagan percentage in the workforce and "Happy Mabon" or "Happy Solstice" doesn't bother me a bit.

But "Happy Holidays" is so insipid.

I draw the line at "Kwazy Kwanzaa."

I'm not really thrilled with "Happy Solstice," because I consider Wicca to be a recent invention, cynically designed to give a religious veneer to group sex (which can make it slightly kinkier, but that really doesn't justify the blather), and most of the people who embrace it do so as a passive-aggressive means of rebelling against traditional religion. Kwanzaa is also an obviously artificial construct that bears no relation to the religions practiced in Africa, and was put together by an African Studies professor in the 70s in order to drive a wedge between American blacks and Christianity (although it lacks the group sex allure of Wicca). I also don't care to hear from people who claim to be "spiritual" instead of "religious" for the same reason.

Molon Labe
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
It's called Christmas.

Merry Christmas.

Odysseus
11-29-2010, 12:06 PM
It's called Christmas.

Merry Christmas.

And a Happy Hannukah to you, too.

noonwitch
11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
No. People working at stores either say what they are told by their bosses to say, or they use a variety of different greetings, so that they don't say the same thing to each customer.

If there is a war on Christmas, Christmas seems to win every year.

RobJohnson
11-29-2010, 12:16 PM
It's called Christmas.

Merry Christmas.

I agree.

Schools now call it a winter holiday.......

RobJohnson
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
No. People working at stores either say what they are told by their bosses to say, or they use a variety of different greetings, so that they don't say the same thing to each customer.

If there is a war on Christmas, Christmas seems to win every year.

I have worked with the public and others all of my life. I have never been told what I could not say for any holiday. I look people in the eye and say "Have a good Easter" or say "Have a great Christmas" Just like I say "I hope you have a nice mother's/father's day"

What's next, will we have a transgender day? Happy Undecided Day to Rock....lol

linda22003
11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
It's called Christmas.

Merry Christmas.

So... there is NO other holiday that is celebrated at this time of year? :cool:

CueSi
11-29-2010, 01:25 PM
At job 1 (adult bookstore) it's a family run business, so I will be saying Merry Christmas because that's what the owners say.

At job 2(organic bath and body place), there are two Wiccans, an atheist and a Jew, so... Happy Holidays because I LIKE this job and I don't need them figuring out I'm conservative and I love their products because they're EFFECTIVE and not because I'm a greenie.

~QC

PoliCon
11-29-2010, 01:28 PM
I generally opt for "Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah" myself.

NJCardFan
11-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Here's the deal. The head of some atheist group was just on Fox News and he says Happy Holidays is the correct thing to say which makes him a hypocrite. The word "holiday" is a derivative of holy day and holy days are religious so in reality, atheists shouldn't celebrate anything, right? BTW, I always say Merry Christmas and could care less who it offends.

megimoo
11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Here's the deal. The head of some atheist group was just on Fox News and he says Happy Holidays is the correct thing to say which makes him a hypocrite. The word "holiday" is a derivative of holy day and holy days are religious so in reality, atheists shouldn't celebrate anything, right? BTW, I always say Merry Christmas and could care less who it offends.And it's fun to watch them sputter and fume !

Odysseus
11-29-2010, 03:14 PM
At job 1 (adult bookstore) it's a family run business, so I will be saying Merry Christmas because that's what the owners say.

At job 2(organic bath and body place), there are two Wiccans, an atheist and a Jew, so... Happy Holidays because I LIKE this job and I don't need them figuring out I'm conservative and I love their products because they're EFFECTIVE and not because I'm a greenie.

~QC
Okay, so two Wiccans, an atheist, a Jew and a bisexual African-American woman walk into an organic bath and body place. What's the punch line?

Here's the deal. The head of some atheist group was just on Fox News and he says Happy Holidays is the correct thing to say which makes him a hypocrite. The word "holiday" is a derivative of holy day and holy days are religious so in reality, atheists shouldn't celebrate anything, right? BTW, I always say Merry Christmas and could care less who it offends.

Shouldn't atheists just say "Bah! Humbug!"?

CueSi
11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Okay, so two Wiccans, an atheist, a Jew and a bisexual African-American woman walk into an organic bath and body place. What's the punch line?

They all dislike Obama? :D (not true, but it wouldn't be impossible!) And I prefer American. Or Jamaican-American.

~QC

Odysseus
11-29-2010, 06:45 PM
They all dislike Obama? :D (not true, but it wouldn't be impossible!) And I prefer American. Or Jamaican-American.

~QC

How about Ecdysiast-American? :D

CueSi
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
How about Ecdysiast-American? :D

If I could spell it, why not? :p

~QC

Bubba Dawg
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Doesn't really matter to me.

I hate the damned bell ringers, though.

Madisonian
11-29-2010, 08:01 PM

But how many of them will turn down the "holiday pay"? Isn't that the ultimate hypocrisy?

Space Gravy
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Doesn't really matter to me.

I hate the damned bell ringers, though.

Testify.

Jumpy
11-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Not offended at all! I have said it... it covers Christmas and NewYears. Happy Holidays!!!

BadCat
11-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes.