PDA

View Full Version : Global warming has slowed because of pollution

Gingersnap
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Global warming has slowed because of pollution

Global warming has slowed in the last decade, according to the Met Office, as the world pumps out so much pollution it is reflecting the sun’s rays and causing a cooling effect. Global warming may have slowed down in the last decade, but temperatures are still higher than they have ever been.

By Louise Gray, Environment Correspondent 7:00AM GMT 26 Nov 2010

The latest figures from more than 20 scientific institutions around the world show that global temperatures are higher than ever.

However the gradual rise in temperatures over the last 30 years is slowing slightly. Global warming since the 1970s has been 0.16C (0.3F) but the rise in the last decade was just 0.05C (0.09F), according to the Met Office.

Sceptics claim this as evidence man made global warming is a myth.

But in a new report the Met Office said the reduced rate of warming can be easily explained by a number of factors. And indeed the true rate of warming caused by man made greenhouse gases could be greater than ever.

One of the major factors is pollution over Asia, where the huge growth in coal-fired power stations mean aerosols like sulphur are being pumped into the air. This reflects sunlight, cooling the land surface temperature.

Dr Vicky Pope, Head of Climate Change Advice, said pollution may be causing a cooling effect.

“A possible increase in aerosol emissions from Asia in the last decade may have contributed to substantially to the recent slowdown,” she said. “Aerosols cool the climate by reflecting the sunlight.”

Another factor that has reduced the rate of warming is a prolonged minimum in the solar cycle, meaning the Earth is receiving slightly less heat from the sun.

Also short term weather patterns such as the tropical storms El Nino and La Nina.

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/8159991/Global-warming-has-slowed-because-of-pollution.html)

PoliCon
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/8159991/Global-warming-has-slowed-because-of-pollution.html)

They'll say just about anything to explain away the failure of their models. :rolleyes:

djones520
11-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Higher then ever? Hardly.

We're at the same temps as the "medieval warm period" which was followed by the mini-ice age. Now I know all them foundries back in the day pouding out horse shoes and swords must have been rough, but seriously?

Futher more, we're in year 18,000 of an interglacial period that usually lasts 15,000-20,000 years of a nearly unbroken cycle that goes back 750,000 years.

I say, global warming doesn't exist. They had it right in the 70's. We need to be afraid of global cooling. When those glaciers reform, man kind is going to be making factories for the sole sake of producing enough CO2 to keep our agricultural lifestyle going.

Rockntractor
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM

We're at the same temps as the "medieval warm period" which was followed by the mini-ice age. Now I know all them foundries back in the day pouding out horse shoes and swords must have been rough, but seriously?

Futher more, we're in year 18,000 of an interglacial period that usually lasts 15,000-20,000 years of a nearly unbroken cycle that goes back 750,000 years.

I say, global warming doesn't exist. They had it right in the 70's. We need to be afraid of global cooling. When those glaciers reform, man kind is going to be making factories for the sole sake of producing enough CO2 to keep our agricultural lifestyle going.

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Fire-but-Ice-Dinosaurs/dp/0964874687

Gingersnap
11-30-2010, 10:04 AM

I think about this often. Even if the dire predictions of the Warmists came true (for a minute), the problems associated with warmer temps are solvable with current technology. We literally do not have the technology needed to feed 6 billion people on cereal grains if temps decline.

We should be thinking about this now because the interglacial period will close. This won't be any long-term drifting down of temps that occurs over a couple of generations, either. The most recent information we have about the transition period pegs it at an abrupt decline over a 10 - 20 year period.

djones520
11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Especially when those cereal grains are harder to come by.

Glaciers trap massive amounts of CO2 when they form. The CO2 levels in the last ice age were so low, large scale agriculture was unsustainable for humans population then. The food we eat requires lots of CO2 to grow.

So if we have another massive glacial expansion, it's very likely that we could see those levels return. The upside is we have the ability to mass produce CO2 now, not like we did before, so it may offset a bit of those worries. But I'd expect a lot of 3rd world countries to pretty much... die. We won't be able to do anything for them when we're struggling to feed ourselves.

An aside to that would be a lot of animal extinctions. Saving the elephant isn't going to mean shit to the people in Africa and India when their families are starving to death.

patriot45
11-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Hey! Its supposed to be 83 here tomorrow ... but.... it will drop to 40 on thursday! I'm confused! Isn't that glowball cooling!?!