PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Woman Now Owns Sun. ˇOlé!

Gingersnap
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Spanish woman takes a shine to the sun

November 28, 2010

MADRID: After billions of years the sun finally has an owner - a woman from the Spanish region of Galicia said she has registered the star at a local notary public as her property.

Angeles Duran, 49, told the online edition of El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and several planets.

An international agreement states no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it apparently says nothing about individuals.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law,'' she said. ''I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first.''

The document issued by the notary public declares Ms Duran to be the ''owner of the sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometres''.

Ms Duran, who lives in the town of Salvaterra do Mino, said she now wants to slap a fee on everyone who uses the sun and give half of the proceeds to the Spanish government, 20 per cent to the nation's pension fund, 10 per cent to research and 10 per cent to ending world hunger. She would keep the remaining 10 per cent.

Well, this could be problematic.

SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/world/spanish-woman-takes-a-shine-to-the-sun-20101127-18bf4.html)

NJCardFan
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
If Judgement Day is coming, I wish it were coming soon. Humanity is too stupid to keep on existing.

Gingersnap
11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
If Judgement Day is coming, I wish it were coming soon. Humanity is too stupid to keep on existing.

Well, if she tells the sun to quit working until people meet her use demands, it'll get really dark and really cold really quick. :D

noonwitch
11-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, if she tells the sun to quit working until people meet her use demands, it'll get really dark and really cold really quick. :D

Then the vampires will take over!

Gingersnap
11-29-2010, 04:40 PM

OMG! You're right! :eek:

Rockntractor
11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
10 per cent to research and 10 per cent to ending world hunger.
I wonder if she is a former beauty pageant contestant. Does she ride a bicycle?:confused:

Madisonian
11-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Cool!!!
I now have someone to sue for my sunburn!:D

PoliCon
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
As long as it's not the sparkly kind I can live with it.

cajunrevenge
11-30-2010, 03:43 AM
So can I sue her if I get a sun burn or skin cancer from too much exposure?

Gingersnap
11-30-2010, 09:44 AM
So can I sue her if I get a sun burn or skin cancer from too much exposure?

I don't see why not. She didn't make any of us sign a waiver. :)

Odysseus
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Have you not been watching the Obama administration? They already have.

I don't see why not. She didn't make any of us sign a waiver. :)
Okay, I'll file suit at the ICC. But, until she settles up, I'm not paying her a dime. She can cut me off if she wants. In fact, I dare her to do it. Hell, I double-dog dare her.