PDA

View Full Version : Highest political figure you've ever been in the presence of.

djones520
12-02-2010, 05:50 AM
We just had a visit from the Secretary of State. I didn't get to listen to her speak, but I saw her on the way out, and she waved at the group of us standing there watching.

Suprisingly she seemed human. No horns or tail, no dark aura about her. Just seemed like a normal human being. :D

Bailey
12-02-2010, 06:26 AM
I talked to fast Eddie rendell at a eagles game once, that's before I know what a D-bag he was :D

marv
12-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Eisenhower, at a rally for Nixon in San Antonio in 1960 when I was still in the Air Force.

Jfor
12-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Bill Clinton and the Hildabeast back in 98 I think it was when the Chinese premiere or president or whatever he calls himself to came to DC for a State visit. I was part of the ceremonial guard for the ceremony.

linda22003
12-02-2010, 09:15 AM
When I was a little blonde tot, I was posed for the local newspaper sitting on the knees of two presidents: Dwight Eisenhower, president of the United States, and his brother Milton, president of the Pennsylvania State University.

obx
12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Jesse Helms. I was with my mother and younger sister in Raleigh NC Christmas shopping. I spoke with him for only a minute or two. He was very nice and did not seem to mind talking to a ten year old fan.

noonwitch
12-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I met one of the local figures in the Monica Conyers scandal at an event once in the 90s at Cobo. They used to send us to these things, which usually consisted of a free breakfast and a presentation by different agencies and city departments on what services they wanted to offer for our clients.

I met Sam Riddle, a former political advisor who is currently serving time for his part of Monica's misdoings. He never once looked me in the eye, his eyes were totally fixed on my cleavage, and I wasn't even wearing anything provocative (not to mention I weighed about 65 lbs more than I currently do). Pig.

ralph wiggum
12-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Sat with President George W. Bush at a Rangers game in the late 80's. He had yet to run for Governor or President obviously.

Got to meet a slew of Presidential candidates at the 1988 Iowa Caucuses. Got to cover it working for my high school newspaper. Kemp, Dole, Buchanan, Jesse Jackson, Gephardt, Babbitt, Hart, Paul Simon...maybe a couple of others.

Calypso Jones
12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Jeanne Kirkpatrick, Ed Koch, Spoke with Alan Keys, Bob McDonnell, Spoke with George Allen, Michelle Bachman, Newt Gingrinch, John boehner, Bob Goodlatte, Valerie Giscard D'Estang, now there's an arrogant, stinking commie for ya, CHARLTON HESTON, my absolute favorite. That's all i can think of right now.

NJCardFan
12-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I see Rep. LoBiondo every once in a while. The last time was at a Pet Smart in Mays Landing, NJ with his 2 dogs. Sen. Frank Lautenberg at Centerton Country Club one night as he was a speaker at some dinner. We were there in another room for my grandmother's birthday.

Gingersnap
12-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I've heard Hilary Clinton speak and we chatted with Charlie Rangel during the 2008 Democratic convention. I've talked with various state legislators about work-related issues. That's about it.

Bailey
12-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I've heard Hilary Clinton speak and we chatted with Charlie Rangel during the 2008 Democratic convention. I've talked with various state legislators about work-related issues. That's about it.

How did you stop yourself from calling Rangel a criminal piece of shit"? :confused:

Gingersnap
12-02-2010, 10:26 AM
How did you stop yourself from calling Rangel a criminal piece of shit"? :confused:

He was wearing this spectacular blue suit. It was mesmerizing. It was hard to think in the presence of the suit. :(

ironhorsedriver
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Gerald Ford, he came aboard for a ceremony where ship's company received citations. Never spoke to him and hardly saw him. He made a speech and disappeared.

Bailey
12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
He was wearing this spectacular blue suit. It was mesmerizing. It was hard to think in the presence of the suit. :(

Don't lie, deep down you respect and admire him :D

Constitutionally Speaking
12-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I met George W. Bush a couple of times when he came to Michigan - I have posted pictures here in the past and have attended a luncheon with VP Cheney when he came here a while back.

CueSi
12-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Governor Bush a couple of times. . . :)

But I twitter back and forth with Rep. Thad McCotter (R-MI/11) on occasion. He's a hoot! :D

~QC

Rockntractor
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I used to go to church with Steve Largent before he moved to California.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
I met my local Senator once.

aerojarod
12-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Cheney.
He invited me down the the bunker cause he heard I played a mean game of Gin Rummy.

Trent Lott... Ann Coulter?

hoplophobe
12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Tip O'Neal and Teddy Kennedy in DC when I was there with my parents in the 80's. Saw Reagan as he walked from Marine 1 to the White House while I was on a tour of the White House with my parents during the same trip.
Met Heath Schuller when he was still with the Redskins. Other than that nothing really worth noting.

AmPat
12-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Papa Bush 43 when he was running for president. Reagan couldn't make it.:mad:

linda22003
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Papa Bush 43 when he was running for president. Reagan couldn't make it.:mad:

Which one, Papa Bush or 43? Pop was 41.

Hawkgirl
12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
a NY state senator, Moynihan, at a Union function about 20 years ago, also Mayor Koch from NY...

AmPat
12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Which one, Papa Bush or 43? Pop was 41.

41. :oI suc! sueck, uh,,,, Blow?
Teh gayness, it is spreading.:p

Bubba Dawg
12-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Jimmy Carter. Before he was president. I met him in Plains when I was a kid.

Rockntractor
12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Highest political figure? The only one I know of that gets high is Obama and who wants to meet him!:confused:

FeebMaster
12-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I walked by Chris Dodd once when he was mingling with the peons at a state fair. I didn't stop to chat.

SaintLouieWoman
12-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Reagan at a political rally in Texas, shook Poppa Bush's hand at the airport, saw W and Laura Bush several times, Nixon at a rally, Dole during his campaign, shook Elizabeth Dole's hand at a political event, ditto Barbara Bush, shook hands and talked to Dan Quayle at a book signing (and had pic taken with him), sat at a wedding reception with the former Senator Jim Talent, Senator Kit Bond and Senator/Attorney General John Ashcroft numerous times, and JC Watts at a fundraiser. Also saw McCain and Sarah Palin shortly after she was selected as his running mate and Palin and family after the VP debate in St Louis. I used to be pretty active in politics in St Louis.

In Florida saw Rick Scott, Charlie Crist and Bill McCollugh at the Hannity concert, along with Col Ollie North.

megimoo
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
John Kennedy when he was running for the Senate .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAp2_YA_Ds0

RobJohnson
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Friends with a couple state level guys in Illinois. Friends with Lane Evans from the 17th district in Illinois, he was a ranking member of the Committee on Veterans Affairs in the House..and the first Republican elect to the 17th District in Illinois Bobby Schilling...

Not just met the above, but actually friends with all of them....

In Nevada, slowly meeting and befriending local politicians and state assemblymen...

RobJohnson
12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Opps forgot one....Denny Hassert. We were not friends....I thought he was a crook..too many crazy land deals with property that he just happened to own...

PoliCon
12-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Lets see . . . As I've already said - I got to meet W . . . . other than him, the biggest political figure I ever got to be in the presence of was Prince Charles when he came to Pittsburgh on tour. I was just a tiny tot back then when he came to our school . . . .of course they had up barricades to keep us preschoolers off of him . . . :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I was just a tiny tot back then when he came to our school . . .

Frozen in time.

enslaved1
12-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I was real little, and my mom drug me to the opening of the new county museum. Some big uppity up was there, and I was put in front of him and shake hands. When I got home, Mom insisted I telll Grandma who I met, I said that I though he was the mayor of our small town. Turned out to be Bob Dole.

m00
12-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Howard Dean :D

Rockntractor
12-03-2010, 01:00 AM

:eek:

John Marston
12-03-2010, 01:11 AM
I'll admit it, I went to see Obama campaign here in Atlanta back in September of 2007. I got a few weird stares cause I was reading The Fountainhead up until the time he took the stage(seriously, Usher was talking before Obama and it was really just about how awesome Usher was cause he was giving money to charity and how he was the voice of young people or something)

PoliCon
12-03-2010, 01:15 AM

before or after the scream? :D

m00
12-03-2010, 01:24 AM
before or after the scream? :D

Before. :D

I voted in the Democrat primaries in 2004 (open primaries), and I felt he was the least insane Democrat that was put forward. Or at least, he didn't seem like a "political creature" if you know what I mean.

Kay
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
I used to be like a big deal *snort* in the Republican Women's local
and state federations. I was also a precinct chair, election judge
and state convention delegate. So I got to rub shoulders with almost
all of our state officials at one time or another. Gov. Perry, Kay Bailey H,
John Cornyn, Mike Conaway, etc. I was getting my oil changed one
Saturday AM at the same time Mike Conaway was. I'd hosted a lot of
campaign events and helped with the opening of one of his congressional
offices, so knew him enough to sit chat a while. Also I met Bush 43 on
a couple of occasions, but back when he was Gov. of Tx. Laura's mother
is in my current RW club so get to see her monthly at the meetings.

It's true that we get to live through our children, so my best story though
is that my son worked on Marine One and got to travel around with the
Presidents, both W and O. I'd be sitting at work and get a text message
with a picture of the back of Barry's head out of the blue, and stuff like
that. :D He got to go on the 'NYC date night' and also spent 3 weeks in
Hawaii last Christmas on that trip. And one time when I was up visiting
he took me on a 'cage tour' through the Marine One hanger. I got to
go on board Marine One and sit in the POTUS's seat. That was very
very cool.

Constitutionally Speaking
12-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Governor Bush a couple of times. . . :)

But I twitter back and forth with Rep. Thad McCotter (R-MI/12) on occasion. He's a hoot! :D

~QC

He is a good man also.

PoliCon
12-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Before. :D

I voted in the Democrat primaries in 2004 (open primaries), and I felt he was the least insane Democrat that was put forward. Or at least, he didn't seem like a "political creature" if you know what I mean.

Then he did the scream and proved otherwise! :D Of course I have friends in and from Vt so I knew from the start he was a raving loon . . .

Molon Labe
12-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I met the elder George Bush Sr. when he was stumping for Oliver North for Senate years ago.
I also had my picture taken (not my choice) when Governor (now Senator) Mark Warner came to a meet the troops photo op.

malloc
12-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Man, some of you guys are regular political butterflies.

I've been to a dinner for AZ Vets where both McCain and Kyle were speakers, and I've attended a campaign event for my representative Jeff Flake. Those may be the highest the highest political figures I've been around, but they were far from the coolest. A little while ago, well more than a year anyway, I got pulled over by a Pinal County Sheriff's deputy because I had a tail light go out. Riding shotgun in his cruiser that night for some reason was none other than Sheriff Paul Babeu. I voted for this guy and really like his politics and what he's done with the Sheriff's department. Needless to say, I didn't get a ticket or anything, they just wanted to let me know it was busted so I would get it fixed.

RobJohnson
12-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I used to be like a big deal *snort* in the Republican Women's local
and state federations. I was also a precinct chair, election judge
and state convention delegate. So I got to rub shoulders with almost
all of our state officials at one time or another. Gov. Perry, Kay Bailey H,
John Cornyn, Mike Conaway, etc. I was getting my oil changed one
Saturday AM at the same time Mike Conaway was. I'd hosted a lot of
campaign events and helped with the opening of one of his congressional
offices, so knew him enough to sit chat a while. Also I met Bush 43 on
a couple of occasions, but back when he was Gov. of Tx. Laura's mother
is in my current RW club so get to see her monthly at the meetings.

It's true that we get to live through our children, so my best story though
is that my son worked on Marine One and got to travel around with the
Presidents, both W and O. I'd be sitting at work and get a text message
with a picture of the back of Barry's head out of the blue, and stuff like
that. :D He got to go on the 'NYC date night' and also spent 3 weeks in
Hawaii last Christmas on that trip. And one time when I was up visiting
he took me on a 'cage tour' through the Marine One hanger. I got to
go on board Marine One and sit in the POTUS's seat. That was very
very cool.

Yes, very cool. :)

RobJohnson
12-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Jimmy Carter. Before he was president. I met him in Plains when I was a kid.

When I was a kid, I used a public park urinal in Plains, GA. My dad made sure I told my grandpa! :D